Thread: winged tuners

winged tuners

What are your thoughts on them? I had 2 issues with them back 17 years ago or so.
    1) I had problems quickly changing a string(it was my only guitar, so live, it presented a problem)
    2) I wanted a heavier string on the low E than the tuner would accomodate

So I changed the tuners. Recently I've been thinking of changing them back to the winged. Not sure why. Maybe to return it to stock to make it "period correct" again?

I liked them a lot when they came on PRSes, and never really had a problem with them. But the new ones are fine, too.

They are one of my favorite inventions for guitar.

I like them. I always thought they looked kind of cool.
    It is a tiny bit fussier to change a string with them than the newer ones and I could see that being frustrating if you thought you had to do the change in a rush.

I love the old winged tuners. I always thought that they were one of the things that distinguished PRS guitars from the rest.

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    I really liked the design of the winged tuners. String changes were really fast and easy with 'em. However they seemed to have some slop to them, so as tuners I think the phase IIIs are way more smooth and precise. I would really love some Phase III winged tuners!

I love the looks of the winged tuners. Classic PRS.

I understand why they changed them though. The new ones are much more user friendly.
    Last edited by Jester; 01-08-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I love the looks of the winged tuners. Classic PRS.

I undeerstand why they changed them though. The new ones are much more user friendly.
    Yeah, I think I will reinstall them. This guitar is now the "hang above my desk" guitar that I play at home and grab for quick access. When it was my only guitar and I had to change a string really quick in mid set, in the dark..it was tough. The new tuners are much easier in that respect. Not a factor anymore, so I'll change them back. I'll probably have to learn how to use the winged tuners all over again!

I like the winged tuners on my CE. Stringing is easy, the operation is smooth, they do their job so well even after being about 20 years old, and they look great. My only lament is that it doesn't take heavier string gauges too well. I use some strings past .50, but that's as high as it gets for that CE. At least I have Phase II's that work just as well on my other CE and Custom, so I use fatter strings and drop tune those instead.