Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic upgrade blues

Electronic upgrade blues

All of our consumer devices are becoming more and more connected and more and more interdependent.

Change one thing and get ready for the cascade. I had an iPhone 4, my sweetie had my old iPhone 3G. The 3G had been dropped a couple of times and the case was starting to separate a bit near the slot for the sim card. The result is that every now and then, the iPhone would forget that it was a phone and display a message "no sim card" - which also meant no calls made or received.

Not having access to a cell phone represents a potential safety and security issue for my sweetie, so I decided it was time to upgrade.I would get a new iPhone 5 and she could change to my almost pristine iPhone 4. I'm not buying a new phone because it is new - it is a necessity. But I am also not going to buy old technology - even though iPhones 4 and 4S are still available new from Apple.

New Years' Day found us in the AT&T store making the purchase and switch. Everything went fine in the store. The only minor hitch is the iPhone 5 uses a new, smaller connector to charge and sync and I have the old cables everywhere - the office, the cars, home, the farm, in the 'go' bags for travel.... I bought cables and adapters, no problem.

Her new-to-her iPhone 4 synced easily and perfectly to her newer iMac at home. My iPhone 5 was a different story. My work mac where I do all my email and maintain my music and photo library was running older versions of both iTunes and the Mac OS. To sync my iPhone 5, I would need to first upgrade the OS and then iTunes since the version of iTunes I needed would not work with the OS I had.

I needed iTunes 10.7 and that meant I also had to upgrade to OS 10.6.8. I ordered the DVD from Apple for the OS update and waited. On Monday (2 days ago) I installed the OS update. Then I installed online updates to get to 10.6.8. I updated iTunes to 11.0.1. That put me at the latest iTunes and the 3rd latest OS (10.7 and 10.8 have been released after 10.6).

I synced my iPhone and everything seems fine.

But, I know from past experience that when you 'update' things, things break. The first thing that broke was access to my network printer. It turns out that Apple no longer supports network printers in favor of direct connect and wifi printers. To get the printer working again I had to connect it directly, reconfigure it for the new OS, cycle the router and then reconnect it via the network. That is a short sentence, but finding the solution and actually getting it working took a full day.

As I go through my applications over the next month or so, I'll see what else is broken...

So - as everything gets more and more interconnected, I ask, is this a good thing?
    Last edited by rugerpc; 01-09-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    You are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I may be trapped in the Matrix, but at least my ninja prowess prevents them from seeing me.....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    You are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch.
    For what it's worth, one of the brothers who directed the Matrix has undergone a sex-change operation, so in the future I think they'll have to change the name of the credits. Laurence Wachowski is now Lana Wachowski.
    Additionally, the entire concept of "The Matrix" was ripped off of William Gibson's "Neuromancer" which predates the movie by at least 15 years.
    I don't know why I found it necessary to post this information, but perhaps those who are setting the parameters of my Matrix experience understand the reasons.

The "New Improved" Lana:

Last edited by docbennett; 01-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Hey, there's a movie about this!

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    The "New Improved" Lana:

I am totally digging the dyed mop for a hairpiece, and want a date as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Hey, there's a movie about this!
    No trash heap for the old iPhone 3G - it may forget that it is a phone, but it still functions fine as a 16GB iPod....
    Last edited by rugerpc; 01-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

retracted
    Last edited by rugerpc; 01-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

Last edited by sergiodeblanc; 01-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.

It was supposed to be a joke. I'm sorry that it offended you. Because I respect you, I retract it completely and ask that you also delete it from your quote above.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    It was supposed to be a joke. I'm sorry that it offended you. Because I respect you, I retract it completely and ask that you also delete it from your quote above.
    I waited around just to make sure you understood I was playing around too. I didn't want to make you sweat too much!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I am totally digging the dyed mop for a hairpiece, and want a date as soon as possible.
    OK...here ya go....

either October 8th, 1955,

or

Your choice, Les.

OK...here ya go....

either October 8th, 1955,

or

Your choice, Les.
    Please let that be a raisin!

I'm a little anti-Apple products, my partner being a graphic designer has a Mac (a 8 year old MacBook pro) and my directors run iPhones so I get a little bit of exposure to the horrors of the infinite wisdom of Mac. I too had similar problems, I bought a newer iPod (as bad as everything else is, iPods and iTunes are still King and Queen of the cruddy music format world), and plugged it into the older MacBook pro. Nope, wasn't compatible with that version of iTunes, went to download to latest one, nope wasn't compatible with that version of OS. Being the stubborn guy I am, I found out there was actually a version on iTunes that worked with both her OS and my iPod. Found it on the net in a non-Mac archive and installed it. Hey presto a working iPod.... take that Mac!

I had reported that I had fixed the printer problem - today it is broken again....

And it doesn't matter what platform you are using - 'upgrade' any software - especially OS software - and things will break.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

I had reported that I had fixed the printer problem - today it is broken again....

And it doesn't matter what platform you are using - 'upgrade' any software - especially OS software - and things will break.
    Seriously check out that movie I posted and see what one man had to do in order to get his printer to work. I spanked my toaster and spit on my microwave after watching it!

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Seriously check out that movie I posted and see what one man had to do in order to get his printer to work. I spanked my toaster and spit on my microwave after watching it!
    Good thing you did it in that order - spitting on a toaster can lead to life altering consequences...
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Solocaller View Post
    Please let that be a raisin!
    It was a date of course. No...it wasn't a Baby Ruth either (Caddyshack reference)

Update - I posted an inquiry on an Apple-supported help page. I have had 3 people who want to argue with me that Apple still supports network printers even after I told them an Apple help technician told me that Apple does not.

can be made to work - does not equal - supported.

It just goes to show that everything on the internet is absolutely true - and I'm a French model!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    For what it's worth, one of the brothers who directed the Matrix has undergone a sex-change operation, so in the future I think they'll have to change the name of the credits. Laurence Wachowski is now Lana Wachowski.
    Additionally, the entire concept of "The Matrix" was ripped off of William Gibson's "Neuromancer" which predates the movie by at least 15 years.
    I don't know why I found it necessary to post this information, but perhaps those who are setting the parameters of my Matrix experience understand the reasons.
    Once again, the oficial PRS Forum proved that it's a great source of useful information. I've come across Lana (not in that way, pervert) and only said to myself: "Mmmm... I thought they were brothers, not a couple..."

It just goes to show that everything on the internet is absolutely true - and I'm a French model!
    This is confusing. You ARE a french model, right? I can remember I have never seen you on fashion magazine covers, which (considering you're also a ninja) is kinda a proof of that...
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.