Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best "Mom and Pop" eating place in your home town?

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Noted!
    The best sushi in the greater Toronto area is also close to the house. Definitely not mom and pop fare though, run by an classically trained Japanese guy who has a strong dislike for what sushi is becoming, at least in the Americas

Tokai (Sushi)
    Cedar Park, TX

Pepper Tuna sashimi with slices of Fresh jalepenos and avacado !!

Or any Tex-Mex restaurant in the Austin Tx area...

Not too many great mom and pop restaurants where I live. Just a load of chain restaurants. But Best Thai is very good and so is Asahi sushi. Mario's Italian is also a fantastic place.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    The best sushi in the greater Toronto area is also close to the house. Definitely not mom and pop fare though, run by an classically trained Japanese guy who has a strong dislike for what sushi is becoming, at least in the Americas
    Here in California, many of the sushi places are owned by Koreans (I'm Korean myself). I find that unfortunately too many of them make it all you can eat sushi. While yes it's "better" value, the quality no doubt suffers. Not the biggest fan.
    Last edited by jcha008; 01-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.

The best sushi in Carroll County, MD is "J & Y Sushi" in Eldersburg. I take partial credit because 3 of his best selling dishes were my designs.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

We actually have some great "Mom and Pop" eating in the Detroit area; some of the spots have been featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Channel.

Toast in Ferndale is superb; Slows Bar-B-Q in Detroit is awesome; Hunter House in Birmingham is legendary and has the best sliders I've ever eaten. There are plenty more. Ellie's for Middle Eastern; there are great Kosher delis, too. And the food in Greektown in Detroit is awesome, same with Mexican Village.

As for pizza, my two favorites in Detroit are Tomatoes Apizza in Farmington Hills (coal fired, really tasty traditional thin crust), and Buddy's for thick crust, which in Detroit isn't like Chicago pizza, it's different (I like Chicago pizza, too but often find it too bland, Detroit people like it spicy).

All very inexpensive, by the way.

CLIMBING VINTAGE PRS MT.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcha008 View Post
    Not too many great mom and pop restaurants where I live. Just a load of chain restaurants. But Best Thai is very good and so is Asahi sushi. Mario's Italian is also a fantastic place.

Here in California, many of the sushi places are owned by Koreans (I'm Korean myself). I find that unfortunately too many of them make it all you can eat sushi. While yes it's "better" value, the quality no doubt suffers. Not the biggest fan.
    Han Jook satum! an yong.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsong View Post
    Han Jook satum! an yong.
    An Hasayo.. Cam Samnida, Sung Il Chuk Ha Hamnida. I spent last year in Geoje....The food was uhh different.. I did try a small portion of 개.
    Last edited by captdg; 01-17-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Hey Les... Are you familiar (since being a muscian) of that Pawn Shop American Diamonds and Jewelry? Is the TV show accurate? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsong View Post
    Han Jook satum! an yong.
    An yong to you too .

Quote Originally Posted by captdg View Post
    An Hasayo.. Cam Samnida, Sung Il Chuk Ha Hamnida. I spent last year in Geoje....The food was uhh different.. I did try a small portion of 개.
    I haven't tried 개 and I don't intend to haha! Yea Korean food is definitely interesting. Certain dishes need an acquired taste .