Thread: Most Influential...Bassist

Most Influential...Bassist

Okay, round two. Again, not necessarily the "best" or "favorite" - the guy/gal who makes you want to be better, or even just pick up your axe and play.

For me, among my favorites are guys like John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, even Gene Simmons (the early years, when he at least pretended he was a musician).

But the guys who really inspire me?

Michael Manring. I found him through his association with Michael Hedges, but he clearly shines on his own. There's a song he does called "Snakes Got Legs" - live, he plays it with loopers. There's a video of him playing it where he's switching basses while the loops are going and he just stops and shakes his head. Technically, I don't think I've ever seen a better example of economy of motion.

And then there's this...

The other guy is Bryan Beller - solo artist, also works with Mike Keneally, the Aristocrats, Dethklok, Steve Vai and too many others. Like Keneally, he's a guy I wish I'd known about when I was much younger because, aside from the insane ability to play ANYTHING and make it look effortless, he's working a career model that I'd have never thought of. Then again, if I'd known about him when I was 16, I wouldn't have learned anything from him because he was 8!

That's Bryan w/my Gene Simmons bass (and Hans, if you want to break out the Kiss tunes at the 40th bash, this will come with me!). To give you an idea how good he is, when he got the gig to play with Dethklok (the most brutal metal band on the planet), he had to come up with a new technique because he doesn't play with a pick. It's really something to watch.

I've been lucky enough to get to know both of these guys a bit, in person and through e-mail, and they are two of the most genuine people you can meet. I've been stunned that they both remembered me at times when I would have never thought they would.

To give you an idea how cool...the first time I met Manring was at a festival in Kent, OH. My buddy and I were taking several Hedges boots to him (this was about 7-8 months after Hedges died). We met him backstage, gave him the tapes and chatted a while (met Arlo Guthrie, too - pretty cool). Later, we ran into Manring again at a merch table and were chatting, and this girl came up and joined the conversation. She looked at him and said, "Wait a second - you're the guy who was playing bass before!" Michael said he was, and she said, "You're pretty good - you should stick with it." Even after she left, he was still gracious about it (even though we teased him about it every time we saw him for the next few years).

Your turn...
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I love playing bass, I even like playing it in bands more than guitar. (I just don't lust after basses like I do guitars)

Verdine White from Earth Wind & Fire.

He's one of the most energetic performers I have ever seen, take a look at this bass solo, he moves around like this the whole show! Oh, and he's 61 years old!!!! Look at that hair! Look at those pants!

Alright, this guy changed the way people play bass like Jimi did for guitarists.

R.I.P. Cliff

For me Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius, John Paul Jones, Les Claypool and Sir Paul McCarthy (who is criminally underrated) I however like players such as Seth Horan, Aram Brodasian, Steve Lawson.

Seth Horan

Aram Brodasian

Steve Lawson
    Last edited by thieves&foxes; 01-15-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: embed video
    Current Herd: PRS P22 Eriza Verde / PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Future additions to herd : Pauls Guitar / Angelus Custom / SE Korina One / Archon and 2x12 and if they ever release a SE or S2 Bass

Chuck Panozzo, Sheryl Crow.

Phil Lynott
    2Tek'd to the MAX

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    John Myung too obvious, so.......... Esperanza Spalding
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I think everyone agrees with the standards...Geddy, Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Victor, ...I would have to put Gary Grainger up there, with his ability to sit in with ANYBODY, and sound like he's been with them for years!!!...a few not so "heard-of" to check out...Jimmy Johnson (Flim and the BB's), Dave LaRue (solo, Dregs), Roscoe Beck (Robben Ford, pretty much any Texas style blues guitarists), Tal Wilkenfeld (sp??)...check her out with Jeff Beck...great feel, and chops.

Berry Oakley! He knew when to stand out and when to lay back in the groove. As a guitarist who noodles on bass, this is an important lesson.
    --Garrett--

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Guy Pratt. Top session bassist who's worked with some of the biggest names in rock & pop. Madonna, Robert palmer, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Page & Coverdale and many others.

Can't recommend his bio "My Bass & Other Animals" enough!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

John Entwistle,Geezer Butler,Jaco and Tony Franklin

Last edited by swede71; 01-16-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

John Paul Jones
    Robert DeLeo is my favorite from my generation.
    Love his style

I love some of these topics!

The absolute top of my list of bassists is John Entwistle. To me there's him, then there's everybody else. Here's my list:

John Entwistle
    John McVie
    Tom Petersson
    Lemmy Kilmister
    Duck Dunn
    Dusty Hill
    Tommy Shannon
    Pete Way
    Marshall Grant
    Michael Anthony
    Roger Glover
    Ronnie Lane
    David Hood
    Billy Sheehan
    Bill Wyman
    Leon Wilkeson
    Terry "Geezer" Butler
    Tony Levin
    Jerry Scheff
    Gene Simmons (an influence more for his belief in his vision, his dedication, his business sense, and his commitment to entertaining an audience than natural talent on his instrument or great chops.)

Lloyd/Goldtop/QoC
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Gene Simmons (an influence more for his belief in his vision, his dedication, his business sense, and his commitment to entertaining an audience than natural talent on his instrument or great chops.)
    Gene thinks you've underrated him.

Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Gene thinks you've underrated him.

Hahaha... If he knew, he probably would.

I've always been a big fan of the ORIGINAL KISS with the founding members. But I always liked them sort of in spite of Gene, because he always seemed like a less-than-nice guy to me. Totally unfair of me since I don't know him at all, although there was an ugly event that took place between the two of us many years ago.

But as far as having a vision, sticking to his guns, and letting the naysayers bite it, I admire him.

Lloyd/Goldtop
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

I don't know about influential but one of my favorite bass tones is on the EP "Jar of Flies" by Alice in Chains - the first song is "Rotten Apples". It opens with Mike Inez playing a Bass line. It got me to buy a bass just to learn the line.

I didn't see Sting mentioned... got to be on the list. Pompous Ass? Maybe but like Getty he fronted a pretty successful 3 piece outfit.

And for up and comer.... Wolfgang VH. Hey listen to the new VH record - I though maybe "Dad" played the bass parts and Jr. would just loaf live - not in the concert footage I've seen! The kid is tearing it up. And I guess he's on tour with Tremonti now?
    Last edited by Rango; 01-20-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Roscoe Beck has a bass tone and technique that is unparalleled in my opinion. I saw him play with Eric Johnson at a show once, and they did "Manhattan", which relies heavily on keyboards on the CD and sounds a bit thin when there's no keyboard player... But Roscoe was playing these jazz bass chords that really filled out the song in an amazing way. Brilliant working musician.