Thread: Steel Bridge Components

Steel Bridge Components

Been looking at vids for the NF3, and noticed J Hayes refers to it have a "steel bridge", which I assume means there's steel components as per the 305, DC3 and Brent Mason (others?).

Looking at pics of the the Nf3, 305 and DC3, they've definitely got a brass block (sorry to disappoint you swede71) so what exactly is steel? The saddles? The bridge body (and trem screws)?

Anyone got one any of these models and a magnet handy to check?

Pretty sure my DC3 had a steel block. I not longer have it so I cannot verify.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

I checked pics on Ebay again.It definitely looks like the DC3 got a steelblock
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Can you post a pic? This looks brass to me:

I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Touche! So it seems there's versions out there with both brass and steel blocks. I wonder if the steel thing was a revision?

Well that answers my question almost, one of the components they refer to is the block.

I'm still curious George about the saddles...

Update - My NF3 has no steel bridge components

In that copy of the PRS Sig mag in your other thread it clearly says the NF3 tremolo has steel components.If its not the block it would be interesting to know what they are
    Last edited by swede71; 01-22-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    In that copy of the PRS Sig mag in your other thread it clearly says the NF3 tremolo has steel components.If its not the block it would be interesting to know what they are
    When I said my bridge has no steel components, I meant, my bridge has no steel components (I checked with a magnet!)

..I believe you Justmund.I meant it would be interesting to hear from PRS what the steel components are.

I reckon it's the block (as evident by your photo) just mine doesn't have one for whatever reason. I do know mine is a fairly early one, you can tell because it has some flame in the neck (now they're plain, and the flameys are reserved for SAS, AP etc).

Maybe there was a material shortage, maybe the guy putting them trems in that day didn't get the memo, who knows!

Really cool guitar you got.I would love to have a black NF3 with a maple neck.Of course it would have a steelblock

Heres my Cu22 soapbar with the Callaham block.Sounds great!
    Last edited by swede71; 01-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.