Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Tremonti SE Custom

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Tremonti SE Custom

    I was thinking about picking up this guitar and I'm kind of new to playing. I was wondering if trems are a pain for alternate tunings ?

    Also any know the nut width on these? I prefer it to be wider since I got fat fingers hehe
    Last edited by drinkitup02; 01-18-2013 at 04:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Michael B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saratoga Springs New York
    Posts
    935
    It is a sweet guitar, I have the USA version and this holds up! I would recommend a nut and tuners change. And yes, the Tremonti SE Custom will work for a lot of tunings, comes with an extra spring for the trem. Its a wide thin neck that's really nice.
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    It is a sweet guitar, I have the USA version and this holds up! I would recommend a nut and tuners change. And yes, the Tremonti SE Custom will work for a lot of tunings, comes with an extra spring for the trem. Its a wide thin neck that's really nice.
    I heard the cover is not in the back of the wood, it sits on top?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Michael B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saratoga Springs New York
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkitup02 View Post
    I heard the cover is not in the back of the wood, it sits on top?
    Yes its true...but I don't notice it while I'm playing it. Feels very similar to my USA Tremonti.
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Yes its true...but I don't notice it while I'm playing it. Feels very similar to my USA Tremonti.
    Hmm... that's kind of throwing me off from buying it. Surprised they cheaped out there
    Last edited by drinkitup02; 01-18-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  6. #6
    What is the cover you guys are talking about? Was thinking of getting one of these since I wasn't able to get the se custom 24 that I wanted.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Michael B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saratoga Springs New York
    Posts
    935
    The cover on the back for the tremolo cavity...its not recessed ,just screwed onto the back
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

  8. #8
    Junior Member tdiers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    The cover on the back for the tremolo cavity...its not recessed ,just screwed onto the back
    I think it would be a cleaner look for those who play without the cover on (for easier access to the trem & restringing).
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Junior Member tdiers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I do not even notice the tremolo cover on the back of mine.
    Makes no difference to me if it sits on top or is recessed, plays and feels great.
    Don't notice the cover on mine either. No problem here.
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

  11. #11
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,388
    I wouldn't let the back cover bother you one bit.

    Sure, it's less 'clean' looking than you'd get on a US PRS but seriously, it's a minor detail. If you bought a Strat you'd have the cover sat on the top surface. Owned Strats for years and it's never once bothered me... Can't even feel it.

    @Drastion...

    YOu've given up on the C24? Could you not find anyone to deliver to the US?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  12. #12
    Yeah conacted prs or at least their prs distributor. They had none so no purple burst for me.Unless I bought from a UK dealer. Paying an extra $300 for a different color would be silly. Purple must be popular in the uk. There are 4 of them and they all look so darn nice.

    They got a pretty sweet deal on a 2012 sg 61 reissue like CoreyT has might get that. Just not sure about having a guitar with a nitro finish.

    Then down the road maybe get my purple fix with one of these.



    Last edited by Drastion; 01-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiers View Post
    Don't notice the cover on mine either. No problem here.
    No problems here either.
    I just bought both, an SE Tremonti Custom and an SE 245.
    My only complaints would be that the nuts are too sharp and often cut too narrow for the width of the neck.
    And I wish the design of the SE tuners were such that the phase II tuners were direct replacements.
    All in all, these are really petty complaints considering the overall quality of these guitars for what you pay for, IMO.

    These new SE's are really AWESOME guitars.

  14. #14
    Junior Member tdiers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonanno View Post
    No problems here either.
    I just bought both, an SE Tremonti Custom and an SE 245.
    My only complaints would be that the nuts are too sharp and often cut too narrow for the width of the neck.
    And I wish the design of the SE tuners were such that the phase II tuners were direct replacements.
    All in all, these are really petty complaints considering the overall quality of these guitars for what you pay for, IMO.

    These new SE's are really AWESOME guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiers View Post
    And here are the Schaller Locking Tuners installed. Straight drop-ins with no modifications.
    Here's some pics from another post I did.
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1
    Nice tuners, I have a new Custom SE too and I love it! Which model tuners are they, need to get some myself! Having owned a USA Tremonti not long ago but forced to sell, I can vouch for these guitars. Play extremely well and I know it has been mentioned, but the rear plate makes no difference! Will upgrade these tuners and replace he pickups - bet a lot of guitar for the money!
    It's only Rock 'n Roll, but I like it!
    2012 Tremonti SE Custom, Marshall TSL601, Vox Tonelab LE

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiers View Post
    Here's some pics from another post I did.
    Thanks for the pics.
    I remember seeing them in another thread.
    They look great however, I really prefer and have already purchased a set of phase II tuners.
    Not a big deal. I've got some experience doing refins and finish repairs so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to plug the existing holes to where it's not that noticable.

    I'll also be replacing the SE245 pickups with a set of 1985 Treble/Bass Reissues.
    If they sound anything like the pickups in my '86 CU24, it's going to be a beast.

  17. #17
    Junior Member tdiers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Prsdave View Post
    Nice tuners, I have a new Custom SE too and I love it! Which model tuners are they, need to get some myself! Having owned a USA Tremonti not long ago but forced to sell, I can vouch for these guitars. Play extremely well and I know it has been mentioned, but the rear plate makes no difference! Will upgrade these tuners and replace he pickups - bet a lot of guitar for the money!
    I got them from Musician's Friend. Here's the link to them: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ads-3-per-side
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    I've been GASSIN for this guitar, but keep debating this or an LP. I toyed with the Tremonti SE (non custom) in the store and I'm not sure if I dig the neck compared to an LP. The PRS SE 245 look's nice as well but why don't they allow you to adjust intonation? Oh wait, I think you can on the back of the stoptail

    Also are the PRS tuners worth it or the Schaller's nice?
    Last edited by drinkitup02; 01-20-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •