Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Design on a Dimebag.

No dimebag I've ever had contained a project that looks like so much fun
    Can't wait to see the evolution. (And stay away from my blue guitar.)

I hope you haven't thrown away all those little blue chips yet. You should superglue a small full-thickness chip to the inside of one of the cavaties to preserve a bit of the guitar's history and provenance....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

DGT Club Vice President
    Go for the Goldtop!

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by bluefade View Post
    WHAT IS A DIMEBAG ???
    A very small unit of weed, it's my feeble attempt at a play on words referring to the television show "Design on a Dime"

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    I hope you haven't thrown away all those little blue chips yet. You should superglue a small full-thickness chip to the inside of one of the cavaties to preserve a bit of the guitar's history and provenance....
    They gone!

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    A very small unit of weed...
    Legal in "ColoRasta Springs". Gold parts on the way, Sergio.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Legal in "ColoRasta Springs". Gold parts on the way, Sergio.
    My homie.

I love a good project.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Love that you're giving that CE a new life! Can't wait to see the final project Sergio!!

Alright only nine days left.

Second coat today. I had to redo the treble horn masking line, as there was a little bit of blue still showing on the line. This seemed like the most important thing to mask properly as it is the one area that I can't give a final scrape to. I am hoping the paint will be dry enough at some point tomorrow to scrape the natural binding and give it a base coat of poly.

While the apartment is fuggin' freezing, the bathroom is close to a million degrees if I close the door. I'm hoping that will help cure it enough for me to put my mitts all over it tomorrow night, add the danger of tacky white paint and copious amounts of stray black cat hair, I feel like I'm doing alright.

Once the natural back and binding have a coat of poly they will "pop" a little more. Here are the bad pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

very nicely done. Or to coin a phrase, Bangin'

Looks great!
    I'm not sure what you mean by "scraping" but Fine Line tape will help prevent any jagged edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Thanks Shawn that means a lot coming from you.

Quote Originally Posted by dbonanno View Post
    Looks great!
    I'm not sure what you mean by "scraping" but Fine Line tape will help prevent any jagged edges.
    The top edges of the "binding" is scraped with a blade, as I understand it, to expose some of the binding on the top of the guitar. Take a look and you will see about 1/16" on most PRS.

What kind of white is that Sergio?

Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    What kind of white is that Sergio?
    Sergio BLANC!

Cool name for a color

+1
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!

Yeah so it's been a few days...

The guitar's base coat has been sanded, polyed, sanded, and finally late last night I gave it a top coat. I moved my "spray booth" from my open living room window to the entrance hallway of my apartment building. I stood at the top of the stairs spraying the poly while trying not to leave any glossy evidence on any of the walls, I'm usually a very respectful tenet but sometimes things in life happen that can turn you into a selfish person, and that is just where I am at right now.

I have to have this top coated and ready to move to another location to cure, all the while move all of my personal belongings and home studio to that same location. I would like to think that if my situation were different I would be spending more attention to detail, but as I stated earlier I only have ten days.... well, now only five of those ten days are left!

It may not be easy to see from my pictures but, the clear coats have made the natural back and binding really "pop". I am pleased with the color and the way the opaque top contrasts with the natural elements of the guitar, I really think PRS has some of the coolest ideas when it comes to finishes, and their run of Custom 24's with this same motif knocked me out while perusing Ebay.

Earlier in the week I received a package of "Gumby Gold" from my new favorite person in the state of Colorasta. I feel very fortunate to find out that the gatekeeper of the gold at the end of the rainbow is not a leprechaun as was once reported, but rather a shoeless dutchman with a huge heart!

I remember Paul talking about the fact that he started building guitars because he just couldn't afford to go and buy them. Well at this point in my life I am not in a position to throw down the cash for a new PRS either, but I do like to think that through the support and help of this forum and it's members, along with the same motivations that lead Paul to build his first guitar, his spirit is guiding my rescue of this fine CE that more than a few people gave up on.

Okay, crappy pics!

Looking good Sergio, I can't wait to see it assembled

Looking good Sergio, I can't wait to see it assembled
    Thanks, me neither! I am at the hardest stage in refinishing projects for me personally; WAITING! I have it cooking in the hottest bathroom north of the ones in hell, but waiting a month before buffing and assembly is gonna be hard. I always seem to pick projects like this in February.... I'm sure it can't be because it's the shortest month.

The back, we wanna see the back, bro!
    Thbbbbbt...