Since Hans sent me a bunch of Gumby gold, I decided to go with a mixed hardware look. The only problem I had was that there was gonna be a mis-match with the bridge pieces I already had, the easy thing to do would be to drop some coin on some gold/brass saddles, but that wouldn't be any fun, and this is called "Design on a Dimebag" so I felt compelled to work with those perfectly fine nickel plated saddles I already have.
I discussed the idea of removing the nickel plating to reveal the brass with Hans when we were making a deal for the winged tuners, you see I had already f&#*ed up my first set of PRS saddles twenty years ago and knew there was some shiny brass underneath, so I figured it was time to ruin another set.
I sat down with a bottle of crappy Pinot Noir, some sandpaper, steel wool, and a file and went to work. I slightly disfigured the first one trying to use sandpaper on a vibrating palm sander, I positioned it upside down and held the saddle between my raw fingers until they went numb, it's three days later and I am finally beginning to get feeling back in them.
That got the nickel the off, but not in a real elegant fashion. Next I decided to file it off, only going in one direction and being careful not to go too deep. It worked quite well actually, leaving a "machined" kinda look to them. If I don't break strings like crazy I may look around for a single nickel saddle to make them all exactly the same.
I apologize for the worst photo, I honestly could not take a worse one if I tried, but it's more to show the color in contrast to the gold trem arm. I would take another but... well lets just say the next post should be entitled; "Move That Bus"! I'm a little to far along into the next stage to ruin the big reveal.