Thread: The Definition of Metal

The Definition of Metal

I grew up in the 70's and 80's listening to what I have and always believed was Heavy Metal at the time. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden even Led Zeppelin to name a few. When I see reviews today of guitars and amps I always here the question "Can you do metal with that?" Some say these pickups, amp or guitar will get you close to metal some not. What I havenít realized for a while is that my definition of metal and the current definition of Metal, I think, are different. When I think metal I think Plexi/JCM800 maybe with an overdrive pedal, the British sound if you will. So, when I look at a demo of the HX/DA or 65amps Empire it seems to me you could do metal with it no problem, at least the metal that I know. Am I the only one that thinks this way?

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    It took me a long time to realize that the "trademark" metal sound is not really a matter of guitar sound. It's more a matter of the whole band's sound and most importantly the arrangements - perfect timing, agressive staccato attacks, evil scales, the "wall of sound", etc... and it seems that the drummer does a great deal of work. If you don't have a crazy double kicking cymbal splashing blast beating drummer accompanied by 5-string bassist, following every drum kick, no "metal" guitar sound will save you.

Nevertheless, contemporary metal guitar sound seem to emphasize bass and treble, with heavy distortion. And maybe a little flanger (just for the color). As for the amp, Mesa Boogie Rectifier had been very popular in past years...
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Banned
    Heavy Metal = "Blue Oyster Cult's first 3 Albums"

As a matter of fact, one of their producers, Murry Krugman, was at one time credited with coining the term "Heavy Metal"

#1: Self Titled "Blue Oyster Cult"

#2: "Tyranny & Mutation:

#3: Secret Treaties:

Listen to these 3 albums...you will totally understand "Metal" as a genre of Rock.

Too many metal styles to define. There's:

or

I probably left 20 or sub-genres out, which will anger the historians of metal.
    Last edited by vchizzle; 01-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Forgot some 80's action.