Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Forum" Guitar

Or we could just have fun trying to decide, after all it's the journey that is most important.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Or we could just have fun trying to decide, after all it's the journey that is most important.
    Zen Master Sergiodeblanc!

We don't have a 1-hand clapping icon, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzedout View Post
    May I suggest a more systematic but democratic approach?
    Why don't we have a series of votes about the specs?
    I stared to do that - treat it like a formal project. Then I decided to let you guys do that. So... who's "it?"
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Zen Master Sergiodeblanc!

We don't have a 1-hand clapping icon, however.
    Aww shucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I stared to do that - treat it like a formal project. Then I decided to let you guys do that. So... who's "it?"

This is like a freebie for a cardholder, you wouldn't have to think up posts for weeks!

This is like a freebie for a cardholder, you wouldn't have to think up posts for weeks!
    DING, DING, DING...
    One Life

CLIMBING VINTAGE PRS MT.
    Has there ever been a standard all Hog Santana? if not how about-1 piece all Hog Santana body
    -maple neck ( carve optional)
    -rosewood or ebony board
    -stoptail,2 piece or trem option
    -408 Pups and electronics
    -cresent moon inlays with 12th fret PRS FORUM banner
    -painted white with every PRS employees name or signature in black
    your basic ingredients maple,hog and rosewood just a slightly different recipe
    price target $2500

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarsong View Post
    Has there ever been a standard all Hog Santana? if not how about-1 piece all Hog Santana body
    -rosewood or ebony board
    price target $2500
    Count me in on this one, sans signatures of employee's names big time. The rest sounds cool.

In a round-about-kinda-way, yes. The 1980 West Street Limited had a Sapele top. and Hog body. Sapele is an African wood in the mahogany family.

Still... I like this idea and here's why:
    1) IMO, the 408 concept (wide in the treble position and narrow in the bass position) was based on the humbuckers Paul used to make by pairing 2 P90's in the treble position with a single P90 in the neck position. One the BEST sounding guitars I've ever heard live was a pre-factory PRS (a real pre-factory PRS, not an eBay pre-factory PRS) with the Sorcerer's Apprentice pickups. An all Hog guitar with the 408's would harken to the genesis of PRS guitars.
    2) There seems to be a lot of support here for the 24.5" scale. The 24-fret and 24.5 " scale of the Westy was excellent - even for a guy that prefers a McCarty over a CU24. Both sides win?
    3) The CNC programs already exist - making it easier to talk PRS into the project.

The only thing I don't like are the moons. It's a PRS, IMO... it's gotta have birds.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsong View Post
    -rosewood or ebony board
    price target $2500
    One Life

OMG! The Sorcerers Apprentice!!! Can we dream of making it a 27 fretter for a few days?

OMG! The Sorcerers Apprentice!!! Can we dream of making it a 27 fretter for a few days?
    This whole thread is a dream, why limit it?

The Sourcerer's Apprentice 2 (with 408's)?

Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 01-25-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    The only thing I don't like are the moons. It's a PRS, IMO... it's gotta have birds.
    Ok, how about the brushed birds? A bit of the old with the West Street body and a bit of the new with the brushtrokes? (probably be shot down by lots of folks who don't like them). We could put the "PRS Forum" at the 12th or on the headstock...or on that TRC as mentioned. We could make the TRC's for all who can't afford a guitar, and have them on the guitars too. Same thing for both projects.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

maple top...maple top...maple top...

24.5 scale
    double cut
    birds--maybe the new ones
    408 or Paul's guitar configuration pickups
    Forum TRC
    Numbered LE
    Neck carve choice
    choice of colors (maybe a custom one special for the run, like the one on Paul's guitar in the video)

would
    Last edited by butterfly; 01-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.

I really like the 24.5 westy direction.
    Before checking the updates I was thinking of black or red a the colour options - solid colour implies less fussy about the top wood, which suggests lower cost and they are card colours.
    But upon reading, I quite like a mahogany/sappele top. They look good, sound great and there are few enough for them that they look special.

I could go for the brush stroke birds as well. I am warming to them.

I am kind of like like Les. I need functionality to justify buying. My 2 cents is to agree on a unique headstock. Be it a headstock design, inlay or veneer or combination thereof. Order the guitar you want with the "forum" headstock. Just my 2 cents. I am not a card member so maybe my vote dont count but I am on the forum darn it and I am in for a forum guitar.

Every member gets a vote.
    One Life

Cool

Been watching this thread.... My .02 cents:

24.5 - I like 25 but I can do 24.5

No birds is a non starter for me - Birds ARE a PRS signature

Pretty flexible on pickups - Be nice if we used a form factor that would allow for pickup substitutions. The narrow 408's are interesting, P90's would be rocking! But Pickups are easy enough to change....

22 fret is my preference.

Flame maple top is another PRS signature thing for me. I wouldn't say no way but it would really diminish the guitar for me if it wasn't a flame maple top. I like a hog body but not hard over on that... Obeche body? If Obeche is not to expensive... Be nice to keep the weight down.

Stop tail would be my choice but could do a trem too.

So my First choice:
    Birds
    22 fret
    Flame maple top
    Stop tail

Maybe a nice PRS sig for the headstock and a "Card" truss cover option.

I like the Sorcerer's apprentice II idea...
    So, If I was to spec one like thisit would be something like this:
    Sorcerer's Apprentice body
    Santana I looking controls but working like Sig Ltd: Volume, Tone, coil split toggles. (Normal Sig Ltd electronics are more practical, but I don't think they'd look like they belong on this body shape)
    Quilt Maple 10 or Artist grade / mahogany body.
    Mc Carty thickness
    FBJ (second choice would be VY or maybe tortoise shell like the one in Hans' pics of the original)
    408 pickups (Zebra )
    Trem
    24 frets 25" scale (but could live with 24,5", don't have a problem with either but prefer 25")
    Pernie Neck? If lower priced maybe one of those dense mahogany necks on the Sig Ltds (Sinker anyone? )
    Rosewood board (a nicely figured one would be nice)
    Santana style headstock with maple veneer from the same maple as the body, small eagle inlay and maybe a Forum banner on the maple TRC?
    I would like Winged tuners, but maybe Phase III would be better...
    Modern Eagle Limited celtic knots inlays (small ones with the larger at the 12th fret) Special edition inlay on the 24th fret (maybe the nubering 1/100 etc....)
    But I like most of the inlays, including old birds, brushstroke ones, or 513 birds are also really cool....
    That's about it....
    Now if you don't like the S. Ap. body I would also like this in the McCarty body with normal headstock and Sig Ltd electronics....
    1992 PRS Cu24 Tortoise Shell, "10",Birds, Reg Neck
    2005 PRS 513 Brazilian Rosewood Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    I am not a card member so maybe my vote dont count but I am on the forum darn it and I am in for a forum guitar.
    I'm not one who wants the card motief on the guitar. That is a pretty exclusive club. I do like the idea of a guitar and a TRC that promote the forum. I think the birds and special features make it what it should be.

I think were starting to gell on something cool:
    24.5 scale
    West Street body
    Birds--maybe the new ones
    408 or Paul's guitar configuration pickups
    Forum TRC (if folks don't want to fund a guitar they can still get the TRC)
    Numbered LE
    Neck carve choice (if possible)
    Choice of colors (maybe a custom one special for the run, like the one on Paul's guitar in the video)
    Maple cap or STD (need to work on this one)
    IRW neck option (if possible)
    Stoptail, 2 piece, Trem options (unless cost means one type)
    I would prefer phase 2 tuners if possible but PRS may only stock phase 3's
    I like the usual PRS headstock better than the West Street one but will do either.
    I would like to see it come in at around $2500, which brings me to a question. If PRS does agree, do we work through a store or do they have another way to get past the wholesaler issue?
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Been watching this thread.... My .02 cents:

24.5 - I like 25 but I can do 24.5

No birds is a non starter for me - Birds ARE a PRS signature

Pretty flexible on pickups - Be nice if we used a form factor that would allow for pickup substitutions. The narrow 408's are interesting, P90's would be rocking! But Pickups are easy enough to change....

22 fret is my preference.

Flame maple top is another PRS signature thing for me. I wouldn't say no way but it would really diminish the guitar for me if it wasn't a flame maple top. I like a hog body but not hard over on that... Obeche body? If Obeche is not to expensive... Be nice to keep the weight down.

Stop tail would be my choice but could do a trem too.

So my First choice:
    Birds
    22 fret
    Flame maple top
    Stop tail

Maybe a nice PRS sig for the headstock and a "Card" truss cover option.
    I agree with Rango.
    While we are dreaming. Why not dream big. How about a USA and a SE version. Many of us may never be able to afford a $2500. However, having a chance to get a forum member sub-$1000 would be great.
    I like the specs of CU22: Pickups 408s would be nice
    Last edited by tdiers; 01-26-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

I'm seeing lots of suggestions I'd be happy with here. I thought I would create a branch thread to deal with individual aspects of the guitar to see if we converge on something. I think this is a good thread to brainstorm a total package, but it might be easier to see trends and agreement on smaller details.
    First up the neck: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...e-forum-guitar

If that works, maybe look at the model that serves as a base, electronic configuration, inlays.