Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Forum" Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Could we get 40 or 50 guys to commit the funds (up front) to give PRS a compelling reason to consider building the Official PRS Forum guitar?
    You'd have better odds of finding 4-5 guys and getting matching private stocks, and I'd bet even that would take some horse trading in terms of compromises with what you really want.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You'd have better odds of finding 4-5 guys and getting matching private stocks, and I'd bet even that would take some horse trading in terms of compromises with what you really want.
    it starts to look to me that we'll never find 40 people in this Forum who would agree with all the specs. It's a shame, I was holding my order for a 408MT just because I was believing we are getting somewhere. WE could call the 4 or 5 Private Stocks as the Moderators Guitars, but The Forum's one....

I'd be in on a Forum guitar, but a PS is out my budget right now. As far as specs, I don't care too much. There are only a few deal killers, price, and identical to what I already have. Maybe there are others watching this thread, just waiting to see the outcome.

DGT Club Vice President
    Being a public servant and father to three children a PS is forever out of my budget

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I'd be in on a Forum guitar, but a PS is out my budget right now. As far as specs, I don't care too much. There are only a few deal killers, price, and identical to what I already have. Maybe there are others watching this thread, just waiting to see the outcome.
    PS is out of my league too.
    So, just saying, why the moderators don't come up with like 3 models and we vote for them? maybe most of us, like myself, wants that guitar really bad, and is more of a deal killers and must have specs. I don't want a guitar that I already have either, but we are trying to make one of a kind thing, so it will be almost impossible to come up with something that already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I copped to all of that in the opening thread (copied below). So... are we giving up?
    I don't think so, though there have been a couple of times we seem to get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    PS is out of my league too.
    So, just saying, why the moderators don't come up with like 3 models and we vote for them? maybe most of us, like myself, wants that guitar really bad, and is more of a deal killers and must have specs. I don't want a guitar that I already have either, but we are trying to make one of a kind thing, so it will be almost impossible to come up with something that already exist.
    I don't think it is up to the moderators. I think anybody who has been watching close enough to see a few choices that have a chance can throw up a poll. A poll that allowed multiple votes, where each vote meant "I would buy this" would let us see if we have a viable candidate.

It's starting to sound like this is off the table too, but something based on an SE model might allow enough people to participate. I know there are definite differences in scaling a production of Maryland made guitars versus an SE line, but if it starts as a base model, then gets tweaked by PTC (i.e. covered in black paisley...), it might be doable.

I'd love to partake, but I'm in the same limited funds/specific wants situation that makes a $3000+ guitar that isn't exactly what I want out of the question.

If it doesn't happen, I'll still be happy with the TRCs.

There is no rush to find a solution, BTW. As time passes (and membership grows) there is likely to be an idea that grows roots. Look at the TRC design effort. It was a landslide even though there were really good alternates. And the guys who voted for the alternate would (with few exceptions) be pleased to get one in the winning design.

The trick is to keep the discussion alive and stay positive.
    One Life

I'd love to have a SE forum guitar, but I think to have a limited run of SE we need to order much more then 30/40... My guess we'd need to have about 200... if anybody knows those numbers for sure...

I don't think it is up to the moderators. I think anybody who has been watching close enough to see a few choices that have a chance can throw up a poll. A poll that allowed multiple votes, where each vote meant "I would buy this" would let us see if we have a viable candidate.[/QUOTE]

total agree, I just mentioned the moderators so we could start somewhere.

Well, I think at the very least, we have a body shape down. We can start with that, and add options for bolt on or no. Maple or something else. And neck carve. Controls should be standard, and can be modified by the buyer after the fact. PUPs too.

DC22
    Piezo

Now that the news is out, I wouldn't mind a P22 Trem. To make it a forum model, install the 408 pickups and offer four neck wood choices. The neck wood is not a deal breaker, btw.
    I love 24 frets: 4 X CU24s, 2 X Carvin DC127s, 1 X Schechter Omen 6
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v410/lindseyp/Axes/

I was really interested to see where this went after Chris's Paisley appeared. I thought an SE modded paisley might be in a price range accessible to more people, and generate the most interest. I was also surprised that there were only about 82 total votes on Forum TRC, so maybe the total number of Forum guitar buyers isn't too high either.

The problem is nobody has built a "dream board" yet. I'm an expert on the subject 'cause I watched "The Secret" on Netflix one night, if we really want to see the forum guitar happen somebody's gonna have to make one of these: .

Shhh! It's a secret, dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    DC22
    Piezo
    Trem Piezo? Hell yes!
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    I don't think it is up to the moderators. I think anybody who has been watching close enough to see a few choices that have a chance can throw up a poll. A poll that allowed multiple votes, where each vote meant "I would buy this" would let us see if we have a viable candidate.
    total agree, I just mentioned the moderators so we could start somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I think you are on the right track. I am a member of the Seymour Duncan forum and there have been a number of "forum pickups" that were designed exclusively by the forum via polling and then made by the custom shop and sold at a discount for members. That method works with designing a pickup but I don't think it will with a guitar; the issue being the huge price discrepancy! There are so many factors that go into making a guitar desirable and thus, many deal breakers as well. With a pickup, or TRC, or T-shirt; maybe it isn't exactly what you wanted. Maybe you voted "high output" but the forum decided "vintage PAF". Many folks will still pony up and buy the item as $100 or $150 isn't a big deal. When we are talking $2000+ it is totally different story for all but a few. With polling specs on a guitar potential buyers will likely be lost with each successive poll. Now, I don't have any idea how many guaranteed buyers you would need for a forum guitar, but there seems to be a few here that are "in" regardless. Maybe Hans could chat with some of the guys that are "in" and throw a few ideas around. They could come up with 2 or 3 guitars spec'd up from ideas posted here and present them. Then it would be a decision on a couple guitars and not numerous specs. Another idea would be taking some of the ideas posted and letting the PTC or the guys at PRS run with it!! Not at that stage yet, but if it were serious enough I bet they would!

One thing is certain, I now understand why there are so many PRS models. One guy's joy is another guy's deal-breaker.

Also, I promised to review all the threads and recommend a model based on the greatest interest and specs. I haven't done that yet and I'm sorry for the delay. My job and personal life are super-demanding at the moment but I will get to it.
    One Life

I am going to take a stab at this to try and get us on the right track. We are actually not faraway from success. We have set a TRC and a case that are decided. If we want to call the other existing polls or give them a few more days they can be set as well. That said;

1) First, we have three polls aready for neck/fretboard, body type, and cost. I say we continue with the polls for the other aspects of the guitar, i.e. hardware, body wood, color, trem/stoptail, headstock, scale, etc. Do each of these one by one and then take the approach used on the TRC. That is...

2) Second, we have semi finals or an outright winner of each component. With the the semi finals approach, we take the the top two or three slections from the previously created three polls and have a final poll for each component. With three existing polls, we already have the foundation and can go ahead and have a final poll for those three or table them.

3) Poll the other components and bring each poll up for semi final and/or final. In the end we have polled each item for the forum guitar. Finally, we poll the final creation to see if there is interest to change any component, proceed, or scratch it all and enjoy the thought of What if!

Right now the polls have mahogany neck/ebony fretboard, dbl. cutaway, and cost at 3 to 3.5 k ( 2 to 2.5 K is right on the heels of 3- 3.5K), So this thread is not in futility, we have seeds and roots. We just need to continue on. I would say lets poll for pickups next. It seems the 408's are going to be clear runaway favorites, so if someone wants to list a poll for pups, we can get that one out the way right now. What do you say cause we are well on the way.

Was it something I said