Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Forum" Guitar

Paul and Jack are very much into this forum and I think they would consider producing a forum guitar if folks could decide on some basic option. Obviously each guitar cannot be customized to a very specific level because that treads into PS territory and with that, the price would go considerably higher. So if you guys decide on a basic model, maybe a couple different neck carves and a couple of different bridges could be the options? Either way, I'm really digging the ideas so far and I'd love to see this come to fruition.

Hans and Shawn,

It is not my intention to indruduce any sort of anxiety into this thread, call any one out on any subject or sabotage the idea of a 'forum guitar.' Quite the opposite. My intentions have been only to try to make the process as inclusive as possible with respect to our forum community. My sole intention has been to point out that we have many materials choices other than BRW, one that has obvious questions if not outright limitations.

I now regret that advocacy as it seems to have had the undesired effect of division instead of inclusion.
    Thbbbt...
    Gork what your need to gork.
    Lexicon

I am in - no matter what. I don't make enough money for this to be considered a small purchase for me no matter what, but this place is special to me and the vision Hans has for a guitar that represents all of us and our opinions is beautiful to me and I'd love to have a guitar that when I play it I can think "wow, this is OUR guitar." I've made some truly great, life long friends because of this company and a guitar to pay tribute to that would be fitting.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Les....that is great advice and I just wanted to thank you for posting it. Keep up the good work, and thanks again.
    On behalf of myself and the rest of the Thought Police, you're entirely welcome.

Plus I know how much you must appreciate getting lots of advice that you didn't ask for, because you're still married after many years.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I feel like I am in. Some things need to be worked out though before i am comfortable to fully commit. Not whether or not they are things I want does not matter, but pirce point does. Such as type of maple top, (10 top, artist grade?) hardware (knobs, dials, coiltap switches, push/pull pots. As much as I would like to buy it just to have it, unfortunately I have to look at price. So for what ever it is worth, I am tentatively in.

DGT Club Vice President
    I've made some great friends here too...unfortunately my ultimate friend, who does much more for me than any of you , has the final say in how much I spend on a guitar.

I still love you all.

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I don't have to do any of this. If I get the impression this will create more butthurtedness than goodwill for the super-loyal PRS fans, this thread is history - along with my involvement.

Bottom Line: IF I ever decide to meet with PRS Execs and ask them to consider a forum guitar, the request will include every member regardless of their geography. If that means the wood has to change for some or all guitars, so be it. Cutting the wish list short when we're still just wishing doesn't make any sense to me. When/if the day comes, I'm sure PRS will be clear about what's on the menu (at home or abroad).
    "Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn't have the power to say yes."

-- Eleanor Roosevelt

I can promise to admire the forum guitar from afar.

I loved the Forum guitar idea since the beginning. I am pretty sure that if this guitar becomes reality, it won't be my dream guitar, but it would be a great guitar, one if a kind item and very social because it will reminds me if people I met because of PRS guitars.
    I new guitar isn't on my plans, but I am going to make it happen, just because how much special that instrument would make me feel.
    So lets get back to the instrument:

We have quite a few yes for a basic forum guitar. What if neck carve and bridge are optional and we could have with or without artist package as another option. This way we could have the BRW fretboard or not.
    We need to ask and what they say it can and can't be done and then come back to the forum for another poll.

In but with a caveat, I'm poor for the next 5.5 months. Please continue the finalization of details until then. By the way, Mike totally sold me.

Very tempting if the piezo option is added.

18 in so far. Anyone else thinking of biting? You know you want a Forum Fiddle.
    Plank Owner

Getting close.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    18 in so far. Anyone else thinking of biting? You know you want a Forum Fiddle.
    I'm in the probable camp. Need to see what is offered and for how much. I would again admonish us to keep the price as low as possible and forgoe options like Brazillian Rosewood in favor of all being able to participate in the event. 408 pups and piezo would be great if it falls within a price point for the average guy.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS 2 channel "H", PRS SE50, Mesa RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender HRD

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    I'm in the probable camp. Need to see what is offered and for how much. I would again admonish us to keep the price as low as possible and forgoe options like Brazillian Rosewood in favor of all being able to participate in the event. 408 pups and piezo would be great if it falls within a price point for the average guy.
    Did you vote for price over here?

I think we are pretty close to submitting a solid build for review. We can tweak as necessary in some back and forths with the powers that be. Most of our pricing votes fall in the middle brackets with about 15 or more votes each. I'm confident we can make something happen here. A great number of the almost 20 people in want to see this happen enough they will budge on specs if needed. I would also wager a dealer or two might be down to buy a few as stock, cause the guitar will dominate, which would help with our numbers.
    Plank Owner

DGT Club Vice President
    Since I'm suffering in a Walmart parking lot and can't post a picture....what was Homer's car that designed? Just kidding.

mgd

DGTs

Banned
    Looking back at the "price poll thread" quoted above....I am thinking that it would be a GREAT idea, as we move closer to actual, potential (how's that for being equivocal) implementation....that the final street price should include $XXX dollars in PTC upgrades, tweaks, options, etc.

I would think that this would bring the final build into a much larger spectrum of potential buyers given the (albeit paid up front) option to change the basic model in significantly personalized fashion.

To build on what the two posters just above me said we are reasonably close. The guitar we are shaping into place resembles the 408 MT or 408 standard. That said, when all is hammered out, we could offer a standard version and a maple top version. This would address what Shawn was talking about with two different guitars with only a few minimal and reasonable option changes that are affordable to produce and sell. Basically a standard or deluxe wood option, hardware color choice for the deluxe (hybrid maybe for the standard), trem or stoptail for both models, piezo trem option for deluxe.

The deluxe guitar would be the one mentioned thru most of this thread. We basically can consider that one done and take it to Paul and Jake). The standard would be an affordable version with solid hog body, neck and rosewood fretboard maybe? Does not have to be this of course. I am simply putting a logical choice on the board. The common denominator for both would be the black paisley case and the paisley TRC. Both of these guitars would easily address the two most popular price choices from the poll that JFB right above has a link to in his post with the standard being closer to 2K or just under. Now that I have solved this problem can both guitars have the dual coil tap switches.

Actually, I would love to do this with everyone. I'm on the fence a little bit. Yes, I'm worried a bit about the specs, but then again, it's PRS, so it's not going to be a dog.

However, I've been discussing a specific type of guitar with my dealer, and I would not want him to lose that sale because of this.

Would I be able to buy the guitar through my dealer? And could the piezo be an option instead of mandatory?

Would we have a few months' notice? i.e., a reasonable deadline...

It would allow me to move forward with existing plans, fill the basic need I have in the studio first, etc. Because I do see this as somewhat of a flyer...

Anyway, a tentative 19.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    And could the piezo be an option instead of mandatory?
    Yes please?