Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Forum" Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Unfortunately, for some people the term "rich elitist" = anyone with more money than them. Screw that BS.
    What would else you call it when members say they wouldn't purchase one unless it cost $2500-3000 or more? ....just saying....perceptions.
    I probably was a bit harsh.

Granted there was a poll and the price was set by the results. And the design was set with numerous other polls.
    By all means, continue with your progress and what was voted on.
    We can always trying for another one later.
    Last edited by tdiers; 05-03-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

Seriously. Don't mind me. I'm only a Jr. Member with very little stake or say in this forum. Just voicing my opinions.
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    There's always going to be someone who can't afford something. It wouldn't matter if it was a Maryland made Forum guitar or a cheaper SE one, someone, somewhere will complain that it's out of reach, blah, blah. I can't see a small run of SE's being that cost effective in the end or even do-able - pretty sure Hans said words to that effect a few pages back.

For me, though I can't afford it (And i'm secretly hoping for a US Bernie) I'd really like to see this 'Forum Guitar' take shape.

Sure, some people may feel bugged out that they can't afford it but there's always gonna be some that can't afford it. Should you stop because of this? Of course not! If this guitar gets the green-light from the guys at the top we should feel proud as a community that we have something special. You don't have to own it to feel a part of it.

It's also worth remembering that there should be a Forum TRC. I know i'll be getting at least one. We can all feel a part of this forum whether we can afford one of the guitars or not.

Pulling something down to meet your level... Not into that. I'd rather work up to it if that makes any sense. Make a good forum guitar... May not be able to afford it this time but that's not to say there may not be another run in the future and that your circumstances may have changed then.

It's late, i'm half awake and rambling... Carry on!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by tdiers View Post
    What would else you call it when members say they wouldn't purchase one unless it cost $2500-3000 or more?

Ummmm...average street price of a Maryland Made PRS and members willing to buy another PRS...one they actually participated in helping to spec out.....for around the cost of one off the rack?
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 05-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Ummmm...average street price of a Maryland Made PRS and members willing to buy another PRS around the cost of one off the rack that they had a say in the specs?
    Ok, got me there. I have always looked at the lower end of the Maryland Made (around $1650-2000). I forgot they rapidly go to $8000 and very much more.
    My apologies to anyone I have offended.

Put me in for a Forum TRC.
    Last edited by tdiers; 05-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Darn it all...I hate when I'm quoted in mid edit!
    -Bob

Hans, I think both REV2 and REV3 are out of the park! A semi-hollow is something I could use; something I don't have in the arsenal yet. It would make sense and the specs are great! REV3 would just be a straight up tone machine and also has fantastic specs. If we are on to REV3 I am in....pending availability. Wouldn't be able to swing it in the next couple months. Come fall I could make it happen!

Nobody is gonna get any arguments from me regarding a hog bodied METAL!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Half-way there.
    I'm still in.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Ummmm...average street price of a Maryland Made PRS and members willing to buy another PRS...one they actually participated in helping to spec out.....for around the cost of one off the rack?
    Well said Bob. Plus, I'd like to add that I'd call it wanting to purchase an instrument made in the good ol' USA, a manufacturing concept that seems rather "foreign" these days. :-(
    Last edited by 11top; 05-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Sh*tter's full

I was about to right that I don't have a car and etc, but then it came to my mind, that this thread will start to go somewhere else.
    So I'd like to suggest to focus and try to find a guitar that at least 20 of us could like to have. I know it won't be a private stock, where everything is planned to please me, anyway.
    As I mentioned before, I'd like to have one of the 3 models suggested.
    Come on guys

I agree, I'd love to see a Forum Guitar come to fruition.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    It's so great to be a member of a rich elitist club. Now I can pull off my sales from ebay, as I can obviously afford to buy anything I want with just a nod to my butler and footman to run out and pick up all the gear I just ordered from my Black American Express card.

Excuse me while I have my pool-boy wash my feet, before I leave the Master-suite's sauna and have my caviar on toast for a light breakfast this morning.

Cheerio, all...who is meeting me at the yacht club, after the polo match? I'm driving the Azure convertible today, as the sun is out.

Oh, is it weekend already? I'll be right there...
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I'm picking up the torch. Give me a bit of time to revisit threads, gather my notes and get something together.
    Last edited by jfb; 05-04-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Plank Owner

I know there have been a few reboots, so I'll understand if no one wants to try again. I was thinking we could post a series of very simple polls and narrow down the specs that way. If we do this right, each step would narrow the list down. Those who are definitely out based on a certain spec would stop voting. Those that have a preference, but would be OK with a spec that wasn't their first choice would continue on. We could see where we had big drop-offs and possible use that for a revisionist model.

Here's a quick example:
    POLL 1: Santana or Standard bady shape
    POLL 2 Semi-hollow or Solid
    POLL 3 Mahogany or Maple Cap
    POLL 4 408s or standard Hunbucker-sized pickups.
    POLL 5 neck material
    ...etc...

Thoughts?

Rich elitist reporting for duty.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

As the founding member of the League for Elitist Snobs ("LES"), let me propose this alternative; I'm happy to pick up the phone and make the request to PRS if Hans opts out:

NS-14, as per factory spec, but lose the Floyd and substitute a standard PRS trem. Totally droolworthy. Who's in?
    Last edited by LSchefman; 05-04-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I know there have been a few reboots, so I'll understand if no one wants to try again. I was thinking we could post a series of very simple polls and narrow down the specs that way. If we do this right, each step would narrow the list down. Those who are definitely out based on a certain spec would stop voting. Those that have a preference, but would be OK with a spec that wasn't their first choice would continue on. We could see where we had big drop-offs and possible use that for a revisionist model.

Here's a quick example:
    POLL 1: Santana or Standard bady shape
    POLL 2 Semi-hollow or Solid
    POLL 3 Mahogany or Maple Cap
    POLL 4 408s or standard Hunbucker-sized pickups.
    POLL 5 neck material
    ...etc...

Thoughts?
    2 ideas so far have really excited me and made a Forum guitar a must have instead of a want. One was replicating the idea of Chris's "The Paisley" in some form, and two was the \m/ pickups. I have heard confirmation of the praises for them from another 1st hand witness, and it would be the ultimate in cool if they were made available to us in the forum 1st. to whoever put that in play in Rev 3.

I have spent the last 2 hours 40 minutes going over all of the info we have regarding this project. I have also researched what's currently available from PRS at the $2000-2500. While I looked at other price points I focused on this one given the results of our price poll. I will report back later as I have work meetings for which I need to prepare.
    Plank Owner

Hans - don't give up on this project... it already has your blood, sweat and tears ingrained in the project and I will not be a part of it until it comes to fruition with you at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by tdiers View Post
    SORRY!!! I didn't mean to cause any problems with what you are doing. Don't let my comments stop your progress. I was just chiming my thoughts in with others that would
    like a more inexpensive SE model. Maybe, we could work on a SE model next.
    You didn't mean to cause any problems by referring to the group of people designing and planning to purchase a forum guitar as rich elitist snobs? PRS guitars have been US made using quality materials since 1985 - Im glad you like the SE line but that is NOT what the company is known for.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C