Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Forum" Guitar

Bennet, I understand your frustration, but I do believe if this thing comes into reality more will get a chance to jump on. With all the grief Hans put into this, 25 was a realistic number because of who would actually commit. No more than 18 had committed to previous Revs, so I believe the premise of 25 was liberal. Hans left the dooor open for more to get on. He just wanted to get something done and get this show on the road, and walk the walk after all the talk if you will. I beleive if PRS likes this it will be big hit and we might hit 50 units instead of 25. If not, it is also reasonable that others might bail out for whatever reason. That said, I feel confident you are not out. PEACE!

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    ....and where do I send my deposit?
    You send it to me.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Here is a variation of a post I sent to a moderator.....Please understand....my bitterness is based on the concept of INCLUSION vs. Exclusion. Excerpt from a post I sent someone else...it converys my thoughts and emotions.

Again......I agree with everything you've said. But this "complaint" merely addresses the concept of "gates closed". I agree that a ton of effort was expended in developing this concept. so..it is ironic that after so much time and effort, you are apparently limiting the number of guitars available to us forum members. I could see refusing to sell more than 1 to a member (I was going to buy two...with different bridges) to avoid the re-sell on the aftermarket. that makes sense. You don't want to dilute the exclusivity of this guitar.

But...how can you turn away dedicated and loyal members of this forum who were involved in the planning and development.... due to an "artificial limit" of number of guitars....and an artificial "time-frame" for getting on-line and agreeing to buy-in? I would hope that you would open the doors up to anyone who wants to commit via a deposit. Please don't exclude those of us who for whatever reason were not "on-line" last night, and consequently "couldn't get on line".

I thank you in advance for considering my comments. These comments are made in the spirit of INCLUSION, not EXCLUSION.
    Hi Bennett,

instead of you sending me PM's and then re-stating everything in your posts, I'll just reply here.

First let me say this is Hans' baby. He's the one who initiated the idea and the one who worked to get it to this point. I'm just a bystander like everyone else, however I can shed a little light on the subject using my experience with PRS.

As I stated to you earlier, the first three Rev's of the Forum guitar received very little traction. Almost everyone said "Make this change" or "make that change", which is fine, but it makes it hard to move forward on a project when folks can't agree on the specs. I'm speaking for Hans here, so if I'm wrong Hans, please correct me. After 3 versions of this guitar received luke warm reaction, Hans finally said "This is it, if you want in then speak up now". Considering the lack of commitment to the previous three Rev's, I don't think anyone would have guessed this one would have been so successful. Some may have even questioned whether 25 folks would even step up given the chance.

As for turning away buyers, that is the nature of a limited run. If it was open ended, it wouldn't be limited at all, it would be a production model. It's the age old story of supply and demand.

I am nothing but excited that 25 people could agree on an idea. Yesterday I intercepted a call from a friend to our dealer and went on record as being skeptical that it could come together soon. I was wrong. I am glad I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    As for turning away buyers, that is the nature of a limited run. If it was open ended, it wouldn't be limited at all, it would be a production model. It's the age old story of supply and demand.
    +1, and well-stated, Shawn.

I remember when the Millennium Dragon was introduced at NAMM. It was a limited run and once they were gone, they were gone. They sold out in about an hour.
    Sh*tter's full

Exactly what I've been thinking. 3 other revs, none of them any more or less magical than rev 4 (except 3, \m/ would have been magical to me), languished below 18 committed. There was definitely a psychology at play in the presentation of rev 4 that finally broke the barrier. I don't know Hans' mind. Maybe he'd be open to a run of 30, or whatever the total commitment is, maybe not. But I bet if rev 4 was presented as rev 1 through 3, we'd still be waiting for the number to reach 20.

No comparison Steve. The guitar you are referencing was never a "guitar by committee" with an invitation for dealers to assist in spec'ing out the run.

Apples and oranges.
    Disagree. My point is about the nature and reason behind limited runs. Perhaps Paul's 28 should have been a "Paul's whoever wants one."
    Sh*tter's full

^
    These comments are made in the spirit of INCLUSION, not EXCLUSION.[/B]
    Last edited by 11top; 05-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Sh*tter's full

If all this nonsense keeps on, Hans might kill the whole thing.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    If all this nonsense keeps on, Hans might kill the whole thing.
    Nah. My word is good.
    One Life

I want this to be open to those forum members who made a commitment to this project before last night's deadline.
    The only deadline was getting 25 people to step up. Considering no more than 16-18 people stepped up to any of the earlier Rev's, who would have thought 25 would have been gobbled up so quickly?

I've made my point...now I promise to shut up and just see what happens.
    OK, you promised

I don't think my comments are "nonsense" at all. And I hope that "expressing viewpoints that are in the minority" are not discouraged out of fear of the consequences.
    All I am saying is that you were heard and I really think you will get your chance. I did not want to see this go off the rails. Hans says it wont so his word is good with me. Be cool Bennet, ("you promised"). It is going to work out!

I don't think my comments are "nonsense" at all. And I hope that "expressing viewpoints that are in the minority" are not discouraged out of fear of the consequences.
    SO glad I'm not in the minority....

I wish I could've grabbed one too...but you know what, sometimes life happens. Time to move on.
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Good job guys!

keeping my fingers crossed (Probably why I'm struggling with this tune) that it gets the go-ahead!

Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

GREAT JOB, HANS!!!!
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas}

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    I am nothing but excited that 25 people could agree on an idea. Yesterday I intercepted a call from a friend to our dealer and went on record as being skeptical that it could come together soon. I was wrong. I am glad I was wrong.
    Quite the turn of events.
    Plank Owner

Nobody wanted a Guitar unless they could get exactly what they want..................................... Now we have this. It's not fair, It's not fair. I want one. I deserve one. I keep you guys in business. I should have what I want, when I want it.

I wanted a free PS, but they wouldn't give me one........................ Bastids!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Perzakkly.
    One Life

I was lucky I was on the forum last night. I spent the day being a shade tree mechanic, putting tires on my lawn tractor, and rotors and front breaks on my old Chevy. This is my allergy season and being out in it all day, I was a big red, puffy faced marshmallow. I showered and packed my face in ice and spent some time on the forums.

When Hans posted Rev 4 and started the clock I was surprised. I was reading the other thread and by the time I found the real one 15 slots were gone. I had the distinct feeling that I better jump or it was going to be too late. Is there a reason to limit it to 25? As one of the few who made it, I'd like to see the limit at 30 since 5 more are willing to put their money where their mouth is. 5 more in a very limited run is still a very limited run. Let's spread the excitement around!
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

At the risk of prolonging a debate that should probably have ended already. I didn't make the 25, and think that 25 is a good number. I hope all 25 on the list get a guitar and are able to keep it a very long time. My involvement prior to Rev 4 was to try and help make something happen and I feel like it was worth every minute of my mental and emotional energy whether I have one or not.
    Now if a couple of the 25 have a change in circumstances at some point, I'd be happy to take their place - before or after delivery. If every body keeps them, maybe someone will invite me over to play one once in a while. That's good enough for me.
    I'll shut up now.