Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Forum" Guitar

If they are planning doing even a small run of 'Paul's Guitar', i'm thinking that they will digitize the brushstroak birds and CNC them.

Then to do just one instead of 10 or 11, they delete programming and use less materials and less man-hours to install them.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Hans, not sure how I missed this thread! It's a really interesting thought. I love the idea. I can't imagine we'd be able to get solid commitments though. I love PRS and our forum as much as anyone, but unless the guitar turned out to be something I'd really love to use regularly, I can't say I could commit. I can't afford to own something that I won't play a lot. I guess it depends on what % of the members here you want it to be accessible to?

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    I would like to elaborate on my suggestion. Think outside the box with me for a moment and check this out. Clearly, budget, tone, and body shape are huge hurdles. We will never agree on all three. That said, I think about the headstock. Why? Because it is inexpensive, does not affect tone, and is a permanent part of the guitar. Unlike the other inexpensive suggestions like covers and knobs that can be switched from guitar to guitar and in doing so, thus defeating the purpose of a limited run forum guitar, the headstock could be unique to each member and the overall forum limited run. Now, what I mean is take three to five pices of headstock veneer, (say, curly maple, cocobolo, ebony, koa, splalted maple, whatever, and cut them symetrically or randomly and put them together symetrically or randomly to makeup a oneoff unique headstock veneer. Tastefully done, this looks awesome. I have seen it. No two will be alike but they each will be recognized as forum. McPherson and several boutique acoustic guitar builders offer this headstiock veneer option for there one off custom guitars. The end result is no two are alike, but instantly recognizeable. The headstock could be finished off with the TRC. So even if the TRC is swapped, the guitar will always be known as a forum edition. No One has to make compromises. Order any guitar you want, SE, CU, SC. Hollowbody, whatever, with artist package, private stock, or whatever, and request the forum headstock. Top it off with Paul signing the headstock in a unique color such as say "forum Blue" will add more uniqueness. A bold color is needed to offset the different color shades of wood to keep the sig prominent. This is cheap, easy, and no one has to make sacrifices. PRS makes up the required number of veneers and puts them on the guitar you ordered. WE then all have a forum guitar that is instantly recognizable, does not affect tone and does not break the bank, PEACE! What ya think?
    I think it's a creative and cool idea, but you might even have trouble getting everyone to agree on and like this

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    What might make this idea even more interesting is if the PTC would be willing to retrofit existing PRS guitars with the Forum Headstock..including the signature and TRC....so that those members who can't afford to take the plunge on a new guitar would be able to have their existing guitar retrofitted.
    I don't believe that would be an inexpensive process.

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Well if it did happen it would be cool if it was special.... unique.... for people who bleed PRS day to day.

No. I have it. What about something like that limited run of 40 burl topped guitars. Why not make the forum guitar have a unique wood top and have the back hand signed 2013 PRS Forum Guitar.
    Cool idea! Then it's not limiting to specific models and you kind of pick your price point. Doesn't make it quite the collective agreement of the forum members, but maybe easier to agree about.

In addition, it may be somewaht presumptious to assume that everyone who committed to a card to assist this forum would be in a position to buy any guitar in the near future. I'd hate to have people who are contributing to the forum feel like they are "2nd class citizens" because they might be financially unable to participate at this time.

Just my 3 cents.
    This is so true. It's almost hard to even do something with the cards. As cool as that is if you're a card holder, sucks if you're not...I'm sure there's plenty of valuable members who are not card holders.
    Last edited by vchizzle; 01-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    You guys giving up already?
    One Life

I'd like to put it out there and steal my PS idea for the pickup configuration.

3 x bass "408s" - 5-way blade - 3 x mini-toggles - push-pull to activate the treble PU (so you can have treble/bass or all 3 PUs)

I find I need a guitar with the 2-4 position in between sounds, and this is something that stops me from buying a 2 pickup with 3-way axe.

It's something different, it hasn't been done before (not that I know of) and would set the guitar apart from every other limited run, production or PS guitar out there.

If it doesn't happen here, I'll still do it on a PS!

I kept the options on both to pickups and neck carve as the initial post described.

Forum Guitar Model Specs

DC245 with Grissom and 408 switching. Pickup selections make similar to a regular 408 or Paul's Guitar.

BODY
    Top Wood Carved Figured Maple
    Back Wood Mahogany

NECK
    Number of Frets 22
    Scale Length 24.5"
    Neck Wood Mahogany
    Fretboard Wood Ebony
    Neck Shape Wide Fat, Pattern, Pattern Thin
    Fretboard Inlays Painted Birds

HARDWARE/ELECTRONICS
    Bridge PRS Stoptail
    Tuners PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
    Truss Rod Cover "Forum 2013"
    Hardware Type Hybrid
    Pickups 408 or Paul's Guitar

Pickup Switching Two Volume Controls with Tone Control and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector and Two Mini-Toggles

Color Terra-cotta Dragon's Breath
    Last edited by jfb; 01-31-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post

Pickup Switching Two Volume Controls with Push/Pull Tone Control and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector and Two Mini-Toggles
    I like your spec, but I'm not sure I know what the push/pull would do if you have mini toggles, which I assume switch individual pickups between humbucking and single coil mode.
    I'll take one anyway.

DGT Club Vice President
    Singlecut / no trem? Not my cup of tea.

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I'd like to put it out there and steal my PS idea for the pickup configuration.

3 x bass "408s" - 5-way blade - 3 x mini-toggles - push-pull to activate the treble PU (so you can have treble/bass or all 3 PUs)

I find I need a guitar with the 2-4 position in between sounds, and this is something that stops me from buying a 2 pickup with 3-way axe.

It's something different, it hasn't been done before (not that I know of) and would set the guitar apart from every other limited run, production or PS guitar out there.

If it doesn't happen here, I'll still do it on a PS!
    I could get behind this.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Banned
    Originally Posted by jfb

Pickup Switching Two Volume Controls with Push/Pull Tone Control and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector and Two Mini-Toggles

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    I like your spec, but I'm not sure I know what the push/pull would do if you have mini toggles, which I assume switch individual pickups between humbucking and single coil mode.
    I'll take one anyway.
    My Private stock has a push-pull tone control....best of all possible worlds....the tone control works in the traditional fashion...but the push pull recreates the original "sweet-switch".

In the spirit of keeping it at an "attainable" price point, here is my vote:

- DC22 - 24.5" scale
    - 59/09 or 57/08 pups
    - pattern, pattern thin, or pattern regular neck
    - lightweight mahogany back and neck
    - optional rosewood neck
    - maple 10-top
    - old birds
    - "FORUM GUITAR" designation on the TRC
    - 4 different unique PS finishes.
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Copy and paste bit me on that one. I meant to remove the push / pull. Fixing it now.

I'll take one anyway.

My Private stock has a push-pull tone control....best of all possible worlds....the tone control works in the traditional fashion...but the push pull recreates the original "sweet-switch".
    I made an edit to remove the push/pull since I had the 408 mini toggles, but doc that sounds pretty cool. I should add it back like I knew what I was talking about all along. Well...uh...It's a sweet switch! Haha

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I made an edit to remove the push/pull since I had the 408 mini toggles, but doc that sounds pretty cool. I should add it back like I knew what I was talking about all along. Well...uh...It's a sweet switch! Haha

(In the voice of Jon Lovitz, "pathological liar")

Yeah.....that's the ticket...it was a sweet switch! Yup.

I think you could do something accessible to all members + the forum guitar. TRC and the guitar? If you do something like that, I think you need "forum guitar" written on the back of the headstock. I like the DC 24.5" as the base of the guitar. Old birds.

I'm starting to understand WHY PRS makes so many models of guitars...with so many options.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    In the spirit of keeping it at an "attainable" price point, here is my vote:

- DC22 - 24.5" scale
    - 59/09 or 57/08 pups
    - pattern, pattern thin, or pattern regular neck
    - lightweight mahogany back and neck
    - optional rosewood neck
    - maple 10-top
    - old birds
    - "FORUM GUITAR" designation on the TRC
    - 4 different unique PS finishes.
    I think we could have a TRC and the guitar. count me in for both. I would like, like most of us I believe, to make this forum guitar like our own PS, but we have to let go some stuffs. 24 frets and piezo (pizza always...LOL) I really don't want.
    other things, ok.
    I just would like to add the 408 configuration to the board. I think it would really rock this world. And that two tone motif PRS displayed at NAMM 2013 is so bad ass!
    I'd go with the rosewood neck (madagascar?!) and cocobolo fretboard, birds of any kind and stop tail.

Another idea, the PRS hot rod "Strat":
    • CU 24 (22 would be fine too)
    • Alder/Ash body
    • bolt-on maple neck
    • single humbucker in the bridge - probably a Tremonti or 5909
    • single volume control
    • moon inlays
    • Floyd Rose
    • Kill switch
    • Let Paul Miles go nuts with the paint jobs (matching headstocks would be cool)
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by hippietim View Post
    Another idea, the PRS hot rod "Strat":
    • CU 24 (22 would be fine too)
    • Alder/Ash body
    • bolt-on maple neck
    • single humbucker in the bridge - probably a Tremonti or 5909
    • single volume control
    • moon inlays
    • Floyd Rose
    • Kill switch
    • Let Paul Miles go nuts with the paint jobs (matching headstocks would be cool)
    A Hippietim signature guitar perhaps?I love your guitar.I would like a singlecoil in the neckposition and a toneknob as an option
    Last edited by swede71; 01-31-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    I'm starting to understand WHY PRS makes so many models of guitars...with so many options.
    <<DING - DING - DING>>
    One Life

I like the 408 x 3. DGT Controls. Push-Push coil taps. Standard neck options. Not against a bolt-on neck either. I have no opinion on birds. Just want tone! Some nice cool colors would be nice, but a Goldtop or Antique White would be fine with me.
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!