Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Pedal of Choice : Chorus Pedals

Hybrid View

Your Pedal of Choice : Chorus Pedals

Now here is where the fun begins! modulation pedals, pedals that you intentially use to color your tone. For me the journey has gone on for 15 years I was never really happy with any pedal I used until I got a Wampler Nirvana which right now is covering all my needs right now.

So what are you using?

Retro Sonic chorus, excellent old school analog sounds.

Just got a Strymon Mobius and that's it! Everything I need right there. Couldn't be happier

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    Just got a Strymon Mobius and that's it! Everything I need right there. Couldn't be happier
    Couldn't agree more! Expensive, but it's replaced EVERY modulation pedal that I had, so it was well worth it. Sounds awesome!!
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

I just ordered a Strymon Mobius. It should be at my house tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I have drifted from one modulation pedal to another for like 10 years, hoping this scratches the itch that no others were really able to do for me.

Boss CE-2 chorus
    Dunlop Rotovibe
    Voodoo Labs micro vibe
    Lovepedal vibe
    Line 6 M9
    Line 6 M5
    Boss Phase shifter
    ...those are just the ones I remember.
    Last edited by John Beef; 08-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I tried some Modtone Mini pedals, distortion, chorus and delay, a couple of years ago because they were cheap and easy to add to my board because of their size. I am still using them and very happy with them. Like ice cream, pick what flavor suits you!

I like the Analogman Chorus. It's been on my board for a long time now. Sounds great both clean and distorted. Plus there are lots of options when you order so you can readily customize to meet your specific needs.

I always liked the Visual Sound H2O. That being said, I've never really gotten along with chorus pedals.

I've been happy with the TC Corona
    It sound good, has a Fair price, software upgrades(toneprint) and is QUIET.

If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    I've been happy with the TC Corona
    +1 for the TC, especially for the price. With the mini toggle down (tri-chorus mode) and the knobs all around 12:00 you get just enough to add a little depth without over-chorusing. And there are some pretty cool toneprints available (I like Paul Gilbert's chorus the best so far).

Would love to get my hands on an Analogman (love my KoT) or a Red Witch though...
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

Besides country dudes, who really uses a chorus pedal? And what kind of stuff do you use it for?

The pedal dedicated to chorus on my GT6 has the rate and speed turned down to zero so it's really just a 40. millisecond delay. I could see using chorus on bass or vocals, but for guitar it's my least used modulation effect.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Besides country dudes, who really uses a chorus pedal?
    I use modulation effects - often chorus - on just about everything I record, often set very low in the mix, but sometimes set higher in the mix and at thicker, more modulated settings, and I have a few favorites I've used over the years. This goes the gamut from clean tones to higher gain tones. All three of the tracks on the recent Cadillac ad I posted in another thread have chorus, including the high gain stuff I then ran through a chopper type tremolo setting and a Moog style filter.

I like the swirl and movement that modulation imparts.

My current pedalboard revolves (pun intended) around an Eventide Mod Factor. I've used a lot of Eventide H3000 rack effects in my studio, and I think this pedal sounds darn good even against the old H3000 D/SE that was a killer box.

The Mod Factor sounds a little less "digital" to my ear, and that has always been the case with Eventide algorithms. They sound warm to me. The pedal is very quiet for a digital box, has true relay bypass that you can turn on or off if you need it to buffer the signal, and the editing parameters are very well thought out and very, very deep. There is a good computer librarian for it as well. It's really good enough to use as a studio box, stereo in and out, and switchable to line or instrument level for different kinds of work. Built like a brick house.

I like the TC stuff as well, though in front of the amp I hear more noise, and I don't use effects loops.

In analog pedals, I've had the Analogman and the old Fulltone choruses, and loved them both. Heck, I like the Boss chorus, though I don't have one on hand. Let's see...I've also had the Electro Harmonix stuff (loved it) and the Visual Sound (nice, too).

I've had a few choruses that were stinkers, but let's not go there.

The Mod Factor has the single best collection of modulation effects I've heard, and the rotary speaker effect is absolutely the best on the market - in terms of what suits my taste (I'm also a keyboard player and have had Leslie Speakers, so I want to get close to that kind of tone). I have heard the Strymon and it's very nice, too, though it's a little less organic to my ear than the Eventide. Still, I'd rock one for certain things I'm sure.

All this stuff is so personal, there isn't a "best" thing. And all of the tools work well for different things, so it's nice to have choices on hand.

I don't play much country. But if I did.... Yeah. I'm that modulation effect guy.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 08-22-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

[QUOTE=LSchefman;95524]I use modulation effects - often chorus - on just about everything I record,/QUOTE]

Really? I'll have to take a closer listen to some of your stuff. I remember a bunch of mixers used to use the old "symphonic" effect from the Yamaha SPX series for the same thing, but I have never thought of trying that with regular old chorus effects... I may have to give it a try.

[QUOTE=sergiodeblanc;95550]
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I use modulation effects - often chorus - on just about everything I record,/QUOTE]

Really? I'll have to take a closer listen to some of your stuff. I remember a bunch of mixers used to use the old "symphonic" effect from the Yamaha SPX series for the same thing, but I have never thought of trying that with regular old chorus effects... I may have to give it a try.
    I used to run a pair of SPX 90s, an Eventide H3000, and a TC M5000 as my primary effects back in the day. I had some Lexicon boxes, too, but I mainly used those on drums to create a little space. On vocals I loved the H3000 reverbs.

Mostly I run modulation on guitars, a little on bass sometimes with parallel processing, and I use modulation on keys, but everyone else does that stuff, too.

I sometimes use filters with LFO modulation on drums, again, processed parallel, but it depends on the track. If you listen to the track I posted that I did for Cadillac on your studio monitors you'll hear the modulation on the three guitar tracks. I didn't modulate the strings or piano, but there is filtering on the drum track. I don't remember what else is in there.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

The Mod Factor sounds a little less "digital" to my ear, and that has always been the case with Eventide algorithms.

I have heard the Strymon and it's very nice, too, though it's a little less organic to my ear than the Eventide.

Interesting. I feel the opposite way. I bought a ModFactor and I thought it was just o.k. I agreed with the Strymon stuff more. I've owned an Ola, a Flint and I wan to get a Mobius. The "Undulator" on the ModFactor was a great effect, though...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic_ape View Post
    Interesting. I feel the opposite way. I bought a ModFactor and I thought it was just o.k. I agreed with the Strymon stuff more. I've owned an Ola, a Flint and I wan to get a Mobius. The "Undulator" on the ModFactor was a great effect, though...
    Yeah, this stuff is very, very subjective, no doubt about it. And I can't argue with you, at that level of quality, it's really just a matter of "pick one, they're both very nice pedals."

I do like the Strymon stuff, don't get me wrong! It's up there with the Eventide, so I think it's a matter of how they're flavored. For example, I like rotary effects quite a lot due to my work playing organ for many years. The Strymon has a beautiful rotary effect, for example, but it doesn't really sound like a Leslie Speaker, while the Eventide is much closer - it sounds closer to a Leslie minus the mechanical noise. The filter emphasis is different, there's less high end openness like you find on a real Leslie, the doppler effect is more pronounced. I've recorded a lot of Leslie speakers, so there's stuff I listen for.

I find that (as with analog gear) digital gear from every manufacturer has a "sound."

Strymon gear has a very neutral frequency response. It's almost like "your guitar magnified cleanly plus this effect." I'd call it very hi-fi. Hey, that's a great thing in the right hands!

Eventide effects have a lot going on in their algorithms. Your guitar sounds perhaps less hi-fi than it does with the Strymon stuff, and the effects more or less take over. But it's a matter of design preference, not skills of the algorithm makers - it's more like close-miking vs. room miking.

Room miking is going to give you a little less hi fi sound, on the other hand it's natural sounding. Eventide tends to use a lot of filtering and frequency emphasis to have the effect change the sound of the guitar.

Either approach is great. It's a matter of how you like your sound carved. If it's "I want my guitar to sound like my guitar only with an effect," I say the Strymon stuff is the way to go.

If it's "I want the effect to create something different than my guitar sounds," it's hard to beat the Eventide gear.

Which is better? Well, there isn't better (though there's what works better for your musical vision as opposed to mine).

There's just different.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 08-23-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Yeah, this stuff is very, very subjective, no doubt about it. And I can't argue with you, at that level of quality, it's really just a matter of "pick one, they're both very nice pedals."

I do like the Strymon stuff, don't get me wrong! It's up there with the Eventide, so I think it's a matter of how they're flavored. For example, I like rotary effects quite a lot due to my work playing organ for many years. The Strymon has a beautiful rotary effect, for example, but it doesn't really sound like a Leslie Speaker, while the Eventide is much closer - it sounds closer to a Leslie minus the mechanical noise. The filter emphasis is different, there's less high end openness like you find on a real Leslie, the doppler effect is more pronounced. I've recorded a lot of Leslie speakers, so there's stuff I listen for.

I find that (as with analog gear) digital gear from every manufacturer has a "sound."

Strymon gear has a very neutral frequency response. It's almost like "your guitar magnified cleanly plus this effect." I'd call it very hi-fi. Hey, that's a great thing in the right hands!

Eventide effects have a lot going on in their algorithms. Your guitar sounds perhaps less hi-fi than it does with the Strymon stuff, and the effects more or less take over. But it's a matter of design preference, not skills of the algorithm makers - it's more like close-miking vs. room miking.

Room miking is going to give you a little less hi fi sound, on the other hand it's natural sounding. Eventide tends to use a lot of filtering and frequency emphasis to have the effect change the sound of the guitar.

Either approach is great. It's a matter of how you like your sound carved. If it's "I want my guitar to sound like my guitar only with an effect," I say the Strymon stuff is the way to go.

If it's "I want the effect to create something different than my guitar sounds," it's hard to beat the Eventide gear.

Which is better? Well, there isn't better (though there's what works better for your musical vision as opposed to mine).

There's just different.

That's a great way to put it! Like always, your posts make this forum a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Besides country dudes, who really uses a chorus pedal? And what kind of stuff do you use it for?
    I use mine for random parts in songs, solos, stuff like that, just to change up the tone for part of the song so things don't get too monotonous. The problem that I have with a lot of pedals is I tend to go for extremes, which means if I use the same sound/pedal over and over it can start to wear on the audience. So, then as I write songs, I start carrying around yet another pedal on the pedalboard for one or maybe two songs I may or may not play that night.

Enter multi-fx pedals. I was attracted to the Line 6 stuff because it's cheap and sounds decent. Two problems though. First, even with the M5 which is two buttons, I hit them both at the same time. Instead of turning off the effect, I turn on the FX selection thingy, so then it's like two or three more things, and I'm trying to hit this button, then that button, all while playing and singing and trying to put on a show. This happened at all three shows I used the Line 6 stuff. Second, all the modulation stuff with the M5 has a darker blue background with tiny black text saying what #/effect is selected at the moment. I can't tell at a quick glance what effect I'm about to turn on. It had all this stuff I don't need, like a tuner, distortion, delay, reverb, etc.

That's why I decided to spring for the Mobius. I can do lots of more extremes and have a variety of sound the audience won't tire of. The big number on it makes it easy for me to know what I'm about to turn on. Plus, I have distortion and delay and tuning and octaves covered, all I want is a bunch of modulation choices and that's all this pedal does. Finally, with one pedal, you can rout through it before you get to the amp AND rout through it AGAIN in the FX loop, and program which FX come before the amp and which FX should go in the FX loop, which is GENIUS. I have only begun to imagine how I can run this thing.

So, all this explains why I shelled out big bucks for a dang pedal.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Strymon Mobius and an Eventide H9 are what I use for chorus.
    Plank Owner

hey, Craig, good to hear from you again. H2O Liquid Chorus and Delay
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}