Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Scotch, man!

My favorite.

My Dad and I always share an 18 Glenlivet when I am out in Vegas.
    BDR-529

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    My favorite.

My Dad and I always share an 18 Glenlivet when I am out in Vegas.
    My father inlaw loved Glenlivet!!! I was always a bourbon lover myself.

Irish whisky is great. Bourbon is great. Ryes are fine too. But I admit, IMO the scots perfected whisky. Scotch is a class above. To my taste the Irish stuff is as good but to compare apples to apples you have to spend about twice as much to get quality single malt Irish as quality Scotch. So I choose Scotch.

I have nothing against blends and many a night have started with single malts only to switch after 3 drinks because face it, it couldbe anything in the glass at that point and I'd like it.

My favorites are all expensive. Like 25 year McCallan. Or pretty much anything Speyside or not too peaty. I can drink the peaty stuff but I have a sweet tooth. What can I say?

I discovered Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old a while back. Love it. For my taste buds perfect and the price - well for a while it was available in Sam's clubs for $32 a bottle. I bought all 12 bottles my local store had in stock. They now have a 17 year old version I'd like to try but my drinking has been cut way back in an effort to shed some weight. I do miss my scotch and once I get to the desired level I shall celebrate with some.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefade View Post
    My father inlaw loved Glenlivet!!! I was always a bourbon lover myself.
    My Dad turned me on to Glen. I prefer stuff from Speyside above anything else. Can't quite handle the peat of Laphroaig and some of the others.
    BDR-529

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
    I discovered Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old a while back. Love it. For my taste buds perfect and the price - well for a while it was available in Sam's clubs for $32 a bottle. I bought all 12 bottles my local store had in stock. They now have a 17 year old version I'd like to try but my drinking has been cut way back in an effort to shed some weight. I do miss my scotch and once I get to the desired level I shall celebrate with some.

Balvenie 12 Doublewood is an easy go-to for me. The Laphroaigs and Ardbegs tend to stick around my house for a while. Balvenie 12 or 15 doesn't last long.

Big Laphroaig/Lagavulin fan.

A Makers Mark Manhattan is my go to drink. But these days, I'm enjoying moonshine-style clear corn whiskey--Hudson.

I was turned on to The Balvenie about 10 years ago. It's all I have bought since. As a matter of fact I think I'll have a pour now.

I'll have to check out The Balvenie. My bottle of The Grangestone is almost gone, I think I have one glass left.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

i'm partial to
    Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

If someone was just starting to sampling beer, I would suggest they try a Stella Artois and I'd certainly steer them away from a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA because it would overpower a novice. Using this line of thinking, what is a good Scotch to recommend to a beginner? Something light and not too complex, but not crap.

Definitely, Glenlivet 12. It's cheap, easy to find and no too overpoweringly strong, plus it's smooth, a little sweet and delicious.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

One of the reasons I like the Oban is because it is on the lighter side of scotch whiskies. Here's some notes on the Oban that I think is a good place to start. http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/oban-1996-distillers-edition-single-malt-whisky/
    I think if you go single malt, then that's a better place to start as well.
    I think, as with beer, the peaty tastes come with time as the hoppy taste develops. My experience with scotch is that you get what you pay for. You won't get a good scotch whiskey for $10. That said, i've never had a worse hangover after going overboard on scotch whiskey. I find it better to sip with. Add some ice as you first embark on this journey. It will smooth out the taste. Then you'll get to having it neat, aka straight up.
    Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

Ardbeg Corryvreckan as you can no longer find the old Ardbeg 17yo. You really should mix a little water in with it as it releases the oils in the whisky and intensifies the flavour. If you don't do this you're seriously missing out on a large part of an single malt experience.
    2Tek'd to the MAX

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Definitely, Glenlivet 12. It's cheap, easy to find and no too overpoweringly strong, plus it's smooth, a little sweet and delicious.
    ^ This. I wouldn't call it "trainer Scotch" but it won't blow a hole in your mouth. Second choice would be Macallan 12, as long as you don't mind the hint of sherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Macallan is a nice place for many to start because it has such a complex nose and finish, but is not overly powered in peat, smoke or seaweed (if offered Tallisker, just say NO!). But if you don't like sherry (they're aged in sherry casks, not mixed with sherry) then that's a killer. I concur with the Highland Park 12 and 15 but Macallan 18 is at my all time top spot...sentimental reasons.
    I totally second that. Many, many years ago, I was in in a south west small town i Scotland (Ayr) working for a week. The last day before going home I went into a liquorstore and asked for a bottle of Scotch, one that I couldn't buy back home (Sweden). He had the entire store filled with fine Whisky from top to floor but didn't hesitate one second pulling a Macallan 12 year.

I split that with a friend of mine on the new years eve a few month later when my wife was still in hospital with my first born. Never looked back. This was 24 years ago and of course, now I won't mind a good Glenmorangie, maybe a Glenfarclas or a Glenlivet but Macallan is still my fav.

To my surprise last night in a bit of snow, I ended up at my favorite liquor store and decided to go with the Highland Park 12. Initially, I thought it burned a bit. I think it's the peaty-ness of it. So I added a cube of ice and it went down good after that. May be a bit much as an introduction but definitely worth working up to.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
    I LOVE Balvenie. As an occasional Scotch drinker and someone who doesn't like (or just can't appreciate, yet anyway) smoky and peat flavors, The Balvenie is a delight!

I haven't tried enough to know my favorite. My parents always drank J&B or Dewer's with water. Occasionally a Chivas Regal. I'll splurge on a bottle of Glenlivet on occasion. On my birthday I've been know to go pick out a higer priced single malt as a gift to myself. I read an article one time in cigar afficianado I think that said the proper way to drink scotch is equal parts scotch and water at room temperature, no ice. That is how I drink it now and I must say, it's very good that way. I don't think I've ever had a good single malt that I haven't enjoyed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorton67 View Post
    To my surprise last night in a bit of snow, I ended up at my favorite liquor store and decided to go with the Highland Park 12. Initially, I thought it burned a bit. I think it's the peaty-ness of it. So I added a cube of ice and it went down good after that. May be a bit much as an introduction but definitely worth working up to.
    Highland Park is one of my fav full-body Scotches. It's a little heavy if you're developing your palate, but a little spring water will bring it under control. According to the purists, NEVER use ice because it will change the attitude of the Scotch...cloud it up, defeat the alcohol burn which can fool you into drinking too much too quickly, killing your ability to enjoy the finish. They also say to only cut Scotch with fresh cool spring water. They also suggest growing a pair and take it "neat". I tend to tell 'them' to get bent because I love my Scotch with crushed ice. Do what you want and enjoy "a wee dram".

Dave, you've just started your Scotch collection. Congrats and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it!
    Last edited by Boogie; 02-08-2013 at 05:54 PM.

I recently ate at Lewnes' Steahhouse in Annapolis, MD. One of the best meals of my life! Everything we had was phenomenal. Including a Scotch I had never tried, Talisker 10 Year. You can see one of my favorite whisky reviewers give it a go on YouTube here. I will be getting a bottle of this very soon.