Thread: Defective 3-way Toggle

Defective 3-way Toggle

The 3-way toggle (pickup selector) on my new HBII may be defective. It sticks, and when it moves metal grinds and it makes a loud squeak/wronk. I have to use a lot of force to move it, so much that's impossible to move it to the middle position (or any) with ease. Is this a defect that PRS should fix? I've included a video link so you can see/hear what I'm talking about, comparing it to a "healthy" toggle on another guitar. I also compared it to every PRS with a 3-way toggle in Guitar Center today, there's something wrong with mine.

http://youtu.be/DZWAspRoij8

It sounds like the switch turned a bit and now one of the legs is pressing against the side wall. It's an easy enough fix. Stick your finger through the F hole and feel around while you work the lever back and forth. If you can, loosen the nut on top, move the switch (it's L shaped) so that it isn't squeaking against wood, re-tighten the nut.

If that doesn't work, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    It sounds like the switch turned a bit and now one of the legs is pressing against the side wall. It's an easy enough fix. Stick your finger through the F hole and feel around while you work the lever back and forth. If you can, loosen the nut on top, move the switch (it's L shaped) so that it isn't squeaking against wood, re-tighten the nut.

Added word of advise. When you loosen the nut put felt or even tape under your plyers so that you don't touch or scratch the top.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I can feel/see the moving parts inside the f-hole, but I don't have the proper tool to loosen the nut on top. It doesn't seem like anything is grinding against wood. There isn't any resistance switching into the neck or bridge position, the resistance comes trying to move out of those positions (like it's stuck in place, grinds out, then squeaks past the middle and into the new position. I can't see everything and I don't know the parts well, but the grinding feels more like metal-on-metal, like the the ball of the lever grinds against the socket it's in.

Place a drop of 3-in-1 oil on your finger tip and go back into the f hole. place the oil on the small little nub that presses against the metal tines. This should lubricate the switch and allow you to change positions easily. (This little nub is not visible in the photo above, but it's all I have)

Place a drop of 3-in-1 oil on your finger tip and go back into the f hole. place the oil on the small little nub that presses against the metal tines. This should lubricate the switch and allow you to change positions easily. (This little nub is not visible in the photo above, but it's all I have)
    is WD-40 okay to use?

sure, motor oil will work too

Well that worked like a charm. Thanks Shawn!

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Well that worked like a charm. Thanks Shawn!
    Any time, my man

Cool thread...great advice!
    -Bob

Good tip on the WD-40, thanks. The switch on my HBII has given me problems off and on for years. I just reach through the f-hole and bend the contacts around until it all feels right again.

Is that a common issue with right angle toggles? Or is the HB prone to it because of the f-hole? I have two other guitars with straight toggles in covered cavities and never an issue.

I keep thinking one of these days I'll replace the original toggle in mine, but haven't bothered.
    --Garrett--

The HB electronics are exposed to more elements than something protected behind a back plate, so the HB electronics do require a bit more maintenance