Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picks- old favorite or do you like variety?

The Lollaris my fave, but I will use my siggy picks on occasion.
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

Over the years, the trend has been from large/thin to small/thick. So the Jazz III shape is now my fave.
    I tried different materials and kind of like to switch between the Jazz Tortex 1.14mm (warm, fat, silky, mid-bass) and the Stubby 3mm (warm, fat, but more crispy, trebly).
    Next, I would like to try the Ultex thing and some carbon fiber stuff, and ear are they sound and feel.

For mellow rhythms, I've recently tried the dunlop 204s. Very different feel.

Picks are a cheap way to mess with your tone a bit and look for something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    Usually use these or the PRS verison.
    These or the Clayton version for many years.
    I've kind of been liking something a hair thinner for acoustic playing though. I've got a few different types of PRS picks around the house that I'll use at home for noodling around.

Anybody try silver picks? Made by a Navajo artist....fantastic...thin....can be flexible or hard....very fast picks...interesting tone....much more twangy...only issue is the silver dust you get on your fingers.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 02-14-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    -Bob

I used to use the Dunlop Tortex picks when I was younger because they didn't slip out of my hand easily. I used the green .88mm ones. However, a couple years ago I switched to Dunlop's new Ultex line. I wanted a pick that didn't wear down as easily, and these things last forever. I'm using the 1.0mm ones. They sound better, they wear better and they're just as easy to hold.

For acoustic I have a Red Bear Trading Company pick. It's made out of a cultured milk protein that is extremely similar to tortoise shell. Sounds fantastic and lasts a very long time. Mine is "thin" (1.0mm) with the "Classic II" shape. I mostly save it for recording. If I'm just playing around, I use the Ultex, which is very similar but way less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by WEDGE View Post
    Anyone use stone, wood, metal, or any other alternative pick material? I have tried a metal thumbpick and the tone was harsh but I wonder if different metals and finishes would have a mellower yet still immediate toneality?
    Back in the '80s I had a Min'd pick made of polished quartz. It was interesting and if used right, yielded an almost sitar-like attack. A stainless steel tri-tipped pick is still in my bag but it never justified the potential for damaging pick scrapes on the guitar. Again, interesting attack - bright - but not a keeper. I buy inexpensive Planet Waves celluloid 1.0mm in 100 pcs. bags. The tips are shaved down pretty quickly and throw one away per set.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Anybody try silver picks? Made by a Navajo artist....fantastic...thin....can be flexible or hard....very fast picks...interesting tone....much more twangy...only issue is the silver dust you get on your fingers.
    OK, that's cool!
    Last edited by Boogie; 02-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.

I like the standard purple Dunlop Tortex, 1.14mm for electric playing. For my very occasional acoustic playing, I like something a little softer...like the green Tortex .88mm.

I did get a variety of V-Picks to try them out, but I wasn't fond of either the attack sound or feel and went back to the Dunlops.

I don't really collect guitar picks, but I've acquired some cool ones over the years. I have given away most of the collectable picks, but here are some that I still have. Anyone else have any cool or novelty picks hanging around?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I don't really collect guitar picks, but I've acquired some cool ones over the years. I have given away most of the collectable picks, but here are some that I still have. Anyone else have any cool or novelty picks hanging around?

The It Might Get Loud one and your personalized one are cool...

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    I briefly considered having some personalized ones made (When I was in a band) but I like my Dunlop's too much.

Have picked up some cool ones over the years. Few band / known guitarist ones. Lots of graphic ones given away in guitar mags, etc and Unususal materials.

Here's a couple of cool ones Bernie Marsden gave me. To thin to use though.

Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Sadly, I still don't play well enough to have a pick preference beyond "medium." Thin picks are just to whimpy and thicker ones are too aggressive for the tentative way I play at the moment. Perhaps as I practice more, I may find the nuances the rest of you have discovered, but really, I'm just too busy trying not to screw up.

So - for the short term - almost any medium pick will do.

There is one cool thing I picked up though -

LINK: pickpunch

I recycle credit cards and that annoying plastic that things like USB thumb drives come packed in, etc. You can pick your thickness and make lots. Lately I have been just gathering plastic gift cards from various stores and using them - the cards have no value unless they are purchased and 'loaded', so you can usually just ask and get several for free.

Center the Pickpunch over part of the image you like and, presto - custom graphic pick.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 02-14-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ¡sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    The It Might Get Loud one and your personalized one are cool...
    Thanks. The personalized picks were made for me as a gift, as were the PTC picks.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Sadly, I still don't play well enough to have a pick preference beyond "medium." Thin picks are just to whimpy and thicker ones are too aggressive for the tentative way I play at the moment. Perhaps as I practice more, I may find the nuances the rest of you have discovered, but really, I'm just too busy trying not to screw up.

I recycle credit cards and that annoying plastic that things like USB thumb drives come packed in, etc. You can pick your thickness and make lots. Lately I have been just gathering plastic gift cards from various stores and using them - the cards have no value unless they are purchased and 'loaded', so you can usually just ask and get several for free.

Center the Pickpunch over part of the image you like and, presto - custom graphic pick.
    Pickpunch! That's a new one for me. They even have different shapes, including my fave- the Jazz shape.
    Great Idea. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post

Ha! my kids (wife) recently gave me one of these as a present!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Back in the '80s I had a Min'd pick made of polished quartz. It was interesting and if used right, yielded an almost sitar-like attack. A stainless steel tri-tipped pick is still in my bag but it never justified the potential for damaging pick scrapes on the guitar. Again, interesting attack - bright - but not a keeper. I buy inexpensive Planet Waves celluloid 1.0mm in 100 pcs. bags. The tips are shaved down pretty quickly and throw one away per set.

OK, that's cool!
    I also have some in copper...if I get a chance I'll try to take pics of them tonight if I can find them.
    -Bob

Yeh! Might just put this on the Gift Idea list myself!

I use my fingers ala jeff beck!
    Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmorton67 View Post
    I use my fingers ala jeff beck!
    Me too some of the time, although I have Mark Knopfler to thank for that.

Can really open up a new angle of playing.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

May sound cheap, but I bought this thing, forgot what its called, that looks like a stapler. I take old credit cards and anything that might make a good pick slip it in, punch it and out comes a pick. They advertise in Premium Guitar Magazine, usually in the back small ads. The trick is to smooth out the edges with a sanding block, but I have to say I've made some unique picks (and thus unique sounds) that you can't buy anywhere else. Just some food for thought....I did it because I'm always losing my picks and figured, what the hell.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by frankb56 View Post
    May sound cheap, but I bought this thing, forgot what its called, that looks like a stapler.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ¡sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ