Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 2 pc bridge vs wrap-around bridge

Hybrid View

New 2 pc bridge vs wrap-around bridge

I've noticed that the "NEW" SC245 has a 2 pc bridge and it says that it for enhancing its vintage tone.

What are the pros & cons of having a design change from 1 wrap to 2 pc? I've played older SC245s that had the wrap-around and the sound just blew me away as well as the feel & the tuning stability of it. I haven't had the chance to play a 2 pc PRS let alone to compare the two bridge designs.

Anyone have any experience with these..?

As far as I know it's exactly the same 2-piece bridge that is on the SC-58 and the JA-15. I own both and find the bridge to be extremely comfortable. I note no decrease in tuning stability or sustain. Don't hesitate to give one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSHB2 View Post
    As far as I know it's exactly the same 2-piece bridge that is on the SC-58 and the JA-15. I own both and find the bridge to be extremely comfortable. I note no decrease in tuning stability or sustain. Don't hesitate to give one a try.

I'm sorry, but to me, that is just a gorgeous bridge design.
    BDR-529

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    I'm sorry, but to me, that is just a gorgeous bridge design.
    No need to be sorry man. I freaking love it!! Due to a tremor I absolutely must rest my hand on the bridge to play, along with a bit of pressure. This bridge is very comfortable for that. Trust me, not all bridges allow for it.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSHB2 View Post

I really like the look of this bridge. Would love to see an SE version!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Anymore on this?

I'll chime in with my opinion. I like the one piece wraparound far better visually. Sonically I cannot speak on it because I haven't tried. I'm sure they sound great. It's PRS. They won over my confidence years ago.

I won't slam the 2 piece design. But I doubt I'll ever own one. It would be a deal breaker on any guitar I'm considering.

I love the one piece, but the two piece looks like a quick string change dream. I have mixed feelings about the visual appeal of the squared off corners. They are growing on me.

I prefer the adjustable one piece. The two piece just reminds me of the competitor.

^ me too. Plus the squared edges look terrible to my eyes.

Wrapover for me every time!

For those that prefer rounded corners. ;-)

I love the 2 piece on my SC58. I think it's woodier-sounding than the single piece wrap bridge. I had a couple of the Singlecut models with the one-piece, and much prefer the new bridge.

I kind of wish I had the 2-piece on my Sig Ltd!

As someone said, string changes are wonderfully simple, and the squared-off design is elegant and great-looking. But it's really about the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I love the 2 piece on my SC58. I think it's woodier-sounding than the single piece wrap bridge.
    I've actually found just the opposite to be true but I realize there are a lot of other factors going on there with the tone than just the bridge. My SC58 Artist with the ebony board and 2 pc was always brighter/thinner sounding no matter what pickups I tried. I'm not sure how much of that was the ebony vs. the bridge but I've never had that issue with LP Customs or other ebony boarded guitars with similar bridges. The other SC58 I had didn't have the same issue, but when doing a straight up comparison to a Ted SC with the same pickups, the 2 pc was noticeably brighter. Maybe that's more "vintage" correct tone, but I guess I've gotten used to something a little more ballsy.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

This is a very interesting topic and i hope others would chime in.
    Regarding PRS SC guitars will a wrap around bridge make the guitar sound closer to a Les Paul in comparison to a two piece bridge (say giving it more thump?) or vice-versa?.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    I've actually found just the opposite to be true but I realize there are a lot of other factors going on there with the tone than just the bridge. My SC58 Artist with the ebony board and 2 pc was always brighter/thinner sounding no matter what pickups I tried. I'm not sure how much of that was the ebony vs. the bridge but I've never had that issue with LP Customs or other ebony boarded guitars with similar bridges. The other SC58 I had didn't have the same issue, but when doing a straight up comparison to a Ted SC with the same pickups, the 2 pc was noticeably brighter. Maybe that's more "vintage" correct tone, but I guess I've gotten used to something a little more ballsy.

I have also found exactly this!!!

But I do love the look of the two piece PRS.

This is interesting as I've found the opposite. Both guitars that's I've had with the wraparound always sounded thinner and brighter. While my current sc58 sounds thicker and woodier to me. But every guitar and player is different.

I love everything about the 2 piece. I think it looks elegant and well designed. Growing up with TOM equipped guitars the 2 piece is like home to me. I also think it sounds and feels better than any TOM I've played yet. Of course this is IMO.

My SC58 Artist with the ebony board and 2 pc was always brighter/thinner sounding no matter what pickups I tried. I'm not sure how much of that was the ebony vs. the bridge but I've never had that issue with LP Customs or other ebony boarded guitars with similar bridges.
    Having had the Stripper and the SC58 AP with ebony board, there's no question in my mind that the ebony makes a big difference, but then so does the guitar; my SC AP has tons of oomph!

LP Customs I played were all-mahogany guitars, inherently darker and thicker than maple tops. I don't know enough about Gibson any more to know if that's still the case, but they were once all 'hog bodies. So that might play into some of the differences you've observed.

The other SC58 I had didn't have the same issue, but when doing a straight up comparison to a Ted SC with the same pickups, the 2 pc was noticeably brighter. Maybe that's more "vintage" correct tone, but I guess I've gotten used to something a little more ballsy.
    Could this be just the difference between those two specific guitars or the difference between the 2 sets of pickups?
    Last edited by FJ4; 02-04-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ4 View Post
    Could this be just the difference between those two specific guitars or the difference between the 2 sets of pickups?
    Possibly, although I tried with 2 sets of 53/10s, and several other types and brands of pickups that are supposed to be better suited for brighter guitars. I'm still thinking it's a combination of the ebony and the 2 pc. I'll be avoiding both until I hear a guitar first hand that proves my ears wrong.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

I'm probably gonna try both this weekend just to put some "X"s in my checklist. I'm curious to see what some are calling "brightness" maybe a certain "clarity" instead.