Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Book Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    I'm about two dozen pages into Slaughterhouse-Five. Definitely a heavier read than Cradle already.
    When reading of Billy Pilgrim's adventures in time and space remember...Vonnegut was a real WW2 POW and really did survive the firebombing of Dresden first hand. Oh yeah.....he went into that in the introduction.

Just finished Slaughterhouse-Five. It is a very Tralfamadorian book. I see Billy's life as an overall picture, and not as a series of events. Very cool how Vonnegut did that. Has anyone seen the film version? I think it seems like a pretty adaptable story.

I have Christopher Moore's Island of the Sequined Love Nun queued up next.

After that, I want to grab a copy of Danny Seraphine's Chicago Story. I've been a big fan of Chicago and Danny's drumming for a long time. I'm very interested to get an inside look at the band and the times they had.
    --Garrett--

I'm currently reading "Light and Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page". It's really interesting.
    Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dmorton67 View Post
    I'm currently reading "Light and Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page". It's really interesting.
    I liked that one myself. As far as music goes, I've got several lined up waiting on me. Pete Townshend's autobiography, Rod Stewart, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, and an older one from Grace Slick. Should keep me occupied for awhile.

Goldtop Lloyd
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Just finished Slaughterhouse-Five. It is a very Tralfamadorian book. I see Billy's life as an overall picture, and not as a series of events. Very cool how Vonnegut did that. Has anyone seen the film version? I think it seems like a pretty adaptable story.

I have Christopher Moore's Island of the Sequined Love Nun queued up next.

After that, I want to grab a copy of Danny Seraphine's Chicago Story. I've been a big fan of Chicago and Danny's drumming for a long time. I'm very interested to get an inside look at the band and the times they had.

The film was an excellent adaptation and did the novel a service. The director was faithful to the script, and was able to maintain the story line as best as could be, given the continual "slips through time".

If you liked the way Tralfamadorians view the universe, you will love "the Sirens of titan" an earlierVonnegut work and a better glimpse of how the viccissitudes of the universe are not always "coincidental".

As far as plot and theme....my favorite novel as far as scope of concept...would be Philip Jose Farmer's "To your Scattered Bodies Go". First, of the Riverworld series, it explores what would happen if everyone on Earth were ressurrected following their death along the banks of a vast river, on an unknown planet...with sufficient resources to rebuild civilization, but with the continual theme of "who did this...and why?"

Billions of people, along the banks of a vast, million mile river....sorted according to the time period they lived in....for the most part....and a cast of characters that includes Richard Francis Burton (who translated "1001 Arabian nights" and who was the first "civilized European to discovere the banks of the Nile), Alice Liddle (the woman who represented Dodgson's (Lewis Carrol's) "Alice" from "Alice in wonderland), and my favorite..Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain).

A great story, and one that lent itself to the series of sequals.

I watched the film adaptation of Slaughterhouse-Five. Not bad, but the book was better of course. It's one that I would like someone to do a modern film adaptation.

Finished Island of the Sequined Love Nun last week. Great read; very engaging story telling. A nice dose of weirdness without being too strange. I'll have to read some more Christopher Moore later.

Now I'm reading a book about Andrew Jackson that I snagged for $2 at a thrift store. Hardback in fantastic condition, cover price $21.95 (I LOVE thrift shopping!). He was a fascinating person for sure. Reading about the founding fathers, I can see why they're so well respected. It was definitely a hard road back then. You truly had to be a hero to be President.

At the thrift store I also grabbed a copy of Stephen King's Bag of Bones in paperback that looks unread for $1. Will save that one when I feel in the King mood again. I need to grab Wind Through the Keyhole, too.

A friend at work has been talking about the recent Eagles documentary, so that's got me jonesing to read the Don Felder book.

I was also reminded recently about the Gregg Allman autobiography. That should be a good one, too.

Dang. Like music, my book want list keeps getting longer rather than shorter!
    --Garrett--