Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your go to Rig?

What is your go to Rig?

Many of us have several different and elaborate setups....others have one special rig that's just perfect for them.

Lately mine has been a cu22 into a JHS Klone plugged into the recording amp through a Mesa Recto Cab 212 loaded V30's.

Although I'm always a sucker for a Mesa Recto....

What is your go to rig?
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 02-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    -Bob

Great gear, Bob. Are both Mesa cabs the Rectos? I want one of their Road King 2x12s-- one close-backed 12" and one open. They can be run independently, in stereo, or mono. I hear they are heavy suckers, though.

My go to rig changes, depending on the band. When I don't have a lot of covers to play, my choice is my 513 through a Jetter Jet drive, into a THD BiValve and Mesa Lonestar 1x12 or Theile 1x12. It ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Many of us have several different and elaborate setups....others have one special rig that's just perfect for them.

Lately mine has been a cu22 into a JHS Klone plugged into the recording amp through a Mesa Recto Cab 212 loaded V30's.

Although I'm always a sucker for a Mesa Recto....

What is your go to rig?
    I still want that recording amp!

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Great gear, Bob. Are both Mesa cabs the Rectos? I want one of their Road King 2x12s-- one close-backed 12" and one open. They can be run independently, in stereo, or mono. I hear they are heavy suckers, though.

My go to rig changes, depending on the band. When I don't have a lot of covers to play, my choice is my 513 through a Jetter Jet drive, into a THD BiValve and Mesa Lonestar 1x12 or Theile 1x12. It ROCKS!
    Thanks...I have rigs on the other walls too not pictured and in our lead singer's studio...I definitely don't like selling amps...and have developed a wee bit of a problem...every time I have sold a rig that I liked I find myself purchasing something similar 6 months down the road...so this way I can let my ADDness run free...(thankfully there are many members on this board with much worse habits than mine to make me feel better about myself....although they do inspire me!).Although sometimes I look around and consider selling them all and just stick with the recording amp and a high gain head.... makes my band a bit crazy....although Ive spent enough time with the various rigs I know how to dial them in well enough. THD Bivalves are cool amps...never played a lonestar cab...although theile's kill for their size.

yeah those are recto cabs with v30's....I picked up a rectoverb series ii combo recently for a song and it came loaded with a c90 which I've been really digging. Wouldn't mind trying a cab with a c90 on one side and a v30 on the other...or maybe a 412 with an x pattern.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 02-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by geese_com View Post
    I still want that recording amp!

I know I know! You have dibs if I sell it. Hey by the way I know you dig the high gain thing too....the Rivera kr100 with the Los LoBottom sub is just about the angriest most pissed off rig you could ever play...you should give one a shot if you ever get the chance...the hi pass filter is insane. The Los LoBottom has 2 v30's on the top and a single 12 inch sub on the bottom...at 300 watts for the sub and 100 conservatively rated from the head....it is mean! I would love to put Bryan S's PS through it! Or Mike's new seven!

oh yeah the KR100 also has one of the best clean channels I have ever heard...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 02-01-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    -Bob

Wouldn't mind trying a cab with a c90 on one side and a v30 on the other
    I tried that with a Tremoverb combo about 7-8 years ago. I thought it'd sound great, but wound up returning it to stock with 2 V30s. I love the Mesa C90 in pairs or in a 112, but paired with V30s, something seemed off. YMMV.

Great setup, though, Bob, and yours sounds cool, too, Egads!

My current rig is pretty simple, as you probably know. Depending on the needs of the project, I play either an SC58, A-V or Sig Ltd into the HX/DA. I can bypass my pedal board completely with a switchbox, or run into a Clyde Deluxe, Fulltone '69, Deja Vibe, and/or TC Nova delay as necessary. I do most things bypassing the board, but every project is different. I mean, really different! LOL From the amp, the sound goes to a Mesa Recto 212 like Bob's.

Fortunately, the amp can handle just about any need, and when it can't (so far this hasn't happened), I can either borrow or rent something from another studio, or use modelers. But the HXDA is "my" sound to a degree I've never felt before, even with my very nicest amps, so I'm pretty darn happy!

The '69 pedal is great for truly authentic late 60s tones, but the amp is capable of so much more than classic rock or Allman/Jimi tones that it constantly amazes me.

In general I'm using the Artist V as my basic rock guitar, and for cool and interesting textures as well; the SC58 is great for when I want heavier, darker or even jazzy/bluesy tones, and I'm discovering that I like the Sig for the bright, chimey stuff, either split or not. I really feel this is an ideal setup.

Finally, because it is, after all, a working recording rig, I tend to use a Royer 121 into a Focusrite ISA preamp, sometimes with an Audix i5 or SM57 added for a blend. The Focusrite blue preamps have switchable impedance, which is important for a ribbon mic that likes to see around 1500 ohms or more. I like to run the 57 into a tube UA 610 or equivalent, or an API preamp, again, depending on how aggressive I want the track to sound.

As for software and processors, I have some secret guitar weapons.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-01-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Go-to rig for recording is my Strat, Bernie (Hopefully my new SE C24) into my Laney Lionheart L5T-112 via a few choice pedals. For practice it's a little Fender Mustang 1.

When I get gigging again it's possibly going to be a Laney VC-30 2x12 or a Blackstar of some description... Maybe....
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Fender Cyber Deluxe, go 'head and laugh at me it's great amp.

My current rig is simple but solid: Hughes and Kettner Triamp mk2 through a Diezel front load cab. Love the Triamp, surprised more guys don't use one. One of the most versatile amps I have owned or played!

PRS Sig -> Klone -> 65 Amps Empire quarter stack.

Thank you, and good night

I've picked up a Mark V and getting a TC G-System next week. I'll control the Mark V via MIDI (Amp Gizmo) and thinking it's going to be a great live rig for what I do (I need versatility)

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Fender Cyber Deluxe, go 'head and laugh at me it's great amp.
    I had a Cyber Champ that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately it was stolen and I miss that amp.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I tried that with a Tremoverb combo about 7-8 years ago. I thought it'd sound great, but wound up returning it to stock with 2 V30s. I love the Mesa C90 in pairs or in a 112, but paired with V30s, something seemed off. YMMV.

Great setup, though, Bob, and yours sounds cool, too, Egads!

My current rig is pretty simple, as you probably know. Depending on the needs of the project, I play either an SC58, A-V or Sig Ltd into the HX/DA. I can bypass my pedal board completely with a switchbox, or run into a Clyde Deluxe, Fulltone '69, Deja Vibe, and/or TC Nova delay as necessary. I do most things bypassing the board, but every project is different. I mean, really different! LOL From the amp, the sound goes to a Mesa Recto 212 like Bob's.

Fortunately, the amp can handle just about any need, and when it can't (so far this hasn't happened), I can either borrow or rent something from another studio, or use modelers. But the HXDA is "my" sound to a degree I've never felt before, even with my very nicest amps, so I'm pretty darn happy!

The '69 pedal is great for truly authentic late 60s tones, but the amp is capable of so much more than classic rock or Allman/Jimi tones that it constantly amazes me.

In general I'm using the Artist V as my basic rock guitar, and for cool and interesting textures as well; the SC58 is great for when I want heavier, darker or even jazzy/bluesy tones, and I'm discovering that I like the Sig for the bright, chimey stuff, either split or not. I really feel this is an ideal setup.

Finally, because it is, after all, a working recording rig, I tend to use a Royer 121 into a Focusrite ISA preamp, sometimes with an Audix i5 or SM57 added for a blend. The Focusrite blue preamps have switchable impedance, which is important for a ribbon mic that likes to see around 1500 ohms or more. I like to run the 57 into a tube UA 610 or equivalent, or an API preamp, again, depending on how aggressive I want the track to sound.

As for software and processors, I have some secret guitar weapons.
    When I graduated from college I took a slight detour from finance (I swore back then I wasn't going to work for the man....this was back before I fully understood the importance of having enough money in my pocket to afford more than a ham sandwich every other day) and worked in advertising briefly at a major firm in NY(did I mention they paid like crap and had a raise freeze in place that still probably exists to this day?) I worked as an audio visual engineer in an absolutely amazing studio that was built while I was there....the focusrite blue compressor/limiter was one of our secret weapons...we had the red too but the blue always got the call...glad to see focusrite is still in business.

I really want to spend some time with an HXDA....I want to do a side by side comparison with the recording amp to see what the differences between the two really are.

I also have never tried the 65 Amps Empire....always wanted to just haven't gotten around to it...from everything I've seen they look killer.

BTW great rigs guys! Keep em coming!
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 02-02-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by VHTStark View Post
    My current rig is simple but solid: Hughes and Kettner Triamp mk2 through a Diezel front load cab. Love the Triamp, surprised more guys don't use one. One of the most versatile amps I have owned or played!

sick rig!

I think Markie has one in his collection....amazing head and crushing cab!
    -Bob

...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.
    That's some tasty stuff when Rivera get ahold of a Twin or Bassman. I recently sold a Twin II that I bought new in '85 and will probably regret because it was SO nice. If you're a fan of his stuff, the Rivera-era Fender amps are pretty nice stuff.

I too like the old Boogie half-back cabs, and for modern rock they kill with a slight vintage vibe when loaded exclusively with C90s.

The EVs are great, but can get icepicky with my old Boogie in high gain situations.

The current go-to rig is the Super Dallas w/ pine 2x12 cab (V30s) and it continues to amaze me. By itself it is HUGE, defiant, crunchy but in the mix all those balls are absorbed, allowing me to turn up pretty darned loud to let the amp breathe. The pedalboard is really simple with a boost, couple of dirt boxes, a tuner, a vibe and 2 delays.

DGT Club Vice President
    Mesa Express 5:50 with 2x12s. Very nice sounding amp!

mgd

DGTs

DGT Club President BostonGuitar's Avatar
    Mainly this:

with bits of this sprinkled in to taste, ONLY to serve the song:

USED TO be this:

Official DGT Club President 2008-2016
    "Lucky": 2012 McCartyBurst PRS DGT Moons (59/09 Neck Pickup)
    "Lucy G": 2008 GoldTop/DarkBack PRS DGT Birds(57/08 Pickup)
    "Lester": 2007 GoldTop/DarkBack Les Paul R0(59/09-57/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    That's some tasty stuff when Rivera get ahold of a Twin or Bassman. I recently sold a Twin II that I bought new in '85 and will probably regret because it was SO nice. If you're a fan of his stuff, the Rivera-era Fender amps are pretty nice stuff.

I too like the old Boogie half-back cabs, and for modern rock they kill with a slight vintage vibe when loaded exclusively with C90s.

The EVs are great, but can get icepicky with my old Boogie in high gain situations.

The current go-to rig is the Super Dallas w/ pine 2x12 cab (V30s) and it continues to amaze me. By itself it is HUGE, defiant, crunchy but in the mix all those balls are absorbed, allowing me to turn up pretty darned loud to let the amp breathe. The pedalboard is really simple with a boost, couple of dirt boxes, a tuner, a vibe and 2 delays.

very cool looking rigs! The theile I played through on and off had an EV in it and I absolutely loved it. Love the look of your Super Dallas Rig....it's very cool. Yeah Paul R. Makes some killer stuff....I also have Rivera Venus 5 and Venus 3...both class A...both monstrous.....the Venus 5 actually has the most gain out of any amp I've ever played...it has the Rivera KTre preamp paired with a class A 6l6 power section....and like all Rivera's I've tried the cleans are pristine. One of the things I really dig about the Rivera's are the push/pull or push/push mid controls that allows you choose between different mid notch settings....It looks like the new PRS Custom may have a similar feature.

Mike...I used to have a 5:25 and I thought it was a great amp...I bet the 5:50 sounds wonderful.

Kevin...I'd love to add a Shiva to my collection at some point....amazing rig! And a heck of a lot more practical than carting around that refrigerator!
    -Bob

Kerry, Nice Rig(s)! I see a name change in your future..Boogie to SupaD

I know I know! You have dibs if I sell it. Hey by the way I know you dig the high gain thing too....the Rivera kr100 with the Los LoBottom sub is just about the angriest most pissed off rig you could ever play...you should give one a shot if you ever get the chance...the hi pass filter is insane. The Los LoBottom has 2 v30's on the top and a single 12 inch sub on the bottom...at 300 watts for the sub and 100 conservatively rated from the head....it is mean! I would love to put Bryan S's PS through it! Or Mike's new seven!

oh yeah the KR100 also has one of the best clean channels I have ever heard...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.
    Thanks. I just raised enough money to either buy a Friedman BE-100 or a PRS Recording amp. Picking one is going to be tough.