Thread: Why did I ever sell it! Let's hear about you're error in judgment.

Why did I ever sell it! Let's hear about you're error in judgment.

Last summer I was flipping through Guitar Aficionado and had a OMG moment. There was an article of a special Gretsch Sam Goody Model guitar http://tablet.guitaraficionado.com/g...b7a0e66f18cb2f , the same one my parents bought me in 1969 and I sold in 1973 for $100! Aghhhhh. Who knew it would ever be considered rare or worth $5,000! But, I kept my pre-lawsuit Sango Gibson copy bass from 1977 - which I paid $100 for and now it's worth $250. Ouch.
    Last edited by Charlie; 02-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    1994 PRS Custom 24 Top 10 Maple Flame Top, Birds, Red
    2008 PRS Mira Orange Maple Flame Top, Birds, Prototype
    2013 Gibson LPJ White
    2011 Gibson Les Paul Jr. Sunburst
    1977 Sango Japanese Gibson EB3 Bass (per-lawsuit)

Biggest regret...gorgeous red flame 10 top studio, old school HSS , only because another PRS came through the store...but can't keep 'Em all!!

I sold my first PRS after having it about 15 years..... a Cu22.

I purchased this from the infamous Ed Roman, was told it was a McCarty, and I did not know better for years. It is a 96, had McCarty switching and McCarty pickups, a stoptail and winged locking tuners, 10 top and birds. Not sure if it was modded by the Leprechaun or a 1 off from the factory. Great sounding and playing guitar.

My old 89 Ibanez sabre custom shop and a USA model. Sold it because I needed money for a car ,stupid me. The guy I sold it to still has it....hmmmmm

Here are two I would like to have back...

I've kept all of the really spectacular guitars I've ever owned except for one. That SAS with a flame maple neck and one piece body found a happy home with Hans. All of the others I've sold didn't measure up to the great ones I've kept, so I don't miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I've kept all of the really spectacular guitars I've ever owned except for one. That SAS with a flame maple neck and one piece body found a happy home with Hans. All of the others I've sold didn't measure up to the great ones I've kept, so I don't miss them.
    And may I say again... THANK YOU for selling it to me. I put some fresh strings on it last night and played it until 2AM. I love this guitar.

It was good when I got it but the artist tweaks and uncovered zebra 53/10's put it over the top. This is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I've ever owned.

One Life

For me it was this one. 68 SG Special. Quite rare, as word has it Pete Townshend smashed most of them made that year

I paid top money for it, then someone made a comment about it. The comment stuck in my head and I persuaded myself I didn't like the guitar and I sold it at a loss. Of course, within a few weeks I was kicking myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    And may I say again... THANK YOU for selling it to me. I put some fresh strings on it last night and played it until 2AM. I love this guitar.

It was good when I got it but the artist tweaks and uncovered zebra 53/10's put it over the top. This is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I've ever owned.

Love the truss rod cover. You stopped at 15, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Love the truss rod cover. You stopped at 15, right?
    No one likes quitter.
    One Life

That is a pretty one! You wouldn't still have the original neck pickup, would you? I've never owned a SAS, but my dad had one for a while (traded it for a Hiland) and it had the sweetest neck pup sound I've ever heard. I'm not sure what the stock pickup is, but I would just sit and noodle for ever on that thing.

One of my worst habits is selling good stuff. I sold this Strad in 1720 for 10 Papal Scudos. What was I thinking? Today, it's worth millions.

But I needed the money to buy myself out of a little jam I'd gotten into with a local girl, so...

Here I am with a different one a few years earlier:

Last edited by LSchefman; 02-03-2013 at 03:17 PM.

I don't regret selling any of my guitars, but if I could get one back I'd choose the McRosie with moons on the left below. I fitted it with Bare Knuckle Holydiver pickups and it was a great guitar. It ended up in Germany after I sold it on eBay...

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    That is a pretty one! You wouldn't still have the original neck pickup, would you? I've never owned a SAS, but my dad had one for a while (traded it for a Hiland) and it had the sweetest neck pup sound I've ever heard. I'm not sure what the stock pickup is, but I would just sit and noodle for ever on that thing.
    I think the original SAS's had McCarty pickups in the neck and bridge.

I had a vintage cherry one (shocker), similar to the one above but with a rosewood board. First PRS I ordered new, but it came in with moons instead of birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    You wouldn't still have the original neck pickup, would you?
    Sorry, I don't. I sold the pups to help pay for the PTC upgrades.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 02-03-2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: I type like a monkey.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    I think the original SAS's had McCarty pickups in the neck and bridge.

I had a vintage cherry one (shocker), similar to the one above but with a rosewood board. First PRS I ordered new, but it came in with moons instead of birds.
    Thanks for the pickup info. Anyone got a McCarty neck they don't want? Hey Sergio, if that one doesn't work out, let me know!

Sorry, I don't I sold the pups to help pay for the PTC upgrades.
    No worries. I figured it was worth a shot.

No guitars really. I had an early 70's Marshall super trem head that I traded away because I needed high gain at the time. I couldn't afford 2 amps back then. I wouldn't mind having it back, but not enough to repurchase at current market value.

I don't have any pictures, but I let go a Maple-Top Standard 24 Stoptail. It was a guitar that was originally slated to be a CU24, but someone at PRS decided the top wasn't impressive enough and painted it a solid colour. It was a funky looking seafoam green-ish colour and had birds with the 5-way rotary and a stoptail. I let it go to get a HBII that was a really great deal.

I still have the HBII and it's a great guitar that I still love. I wish I would have had the money to keep both at the time. Shortly after I let the maple-top stoptail Standard 24 go, PRS stopped offering stoptail as an option on 24 fret guitars (making me a very sad panda).

I also really regret selling this one to Kirk, but I am glad it is in capable hands...

http://youtu.be/qUjIlfe4o4c

I sold a 68 Les Paul years ago for chump change. Who knew?

The other big regret was a 72 Les Paul Deluxe. It had been mangled...Schaller tuners, routed for humbuckers, pancake body. But that was my main guitar for years. I sold it several years ago to finance my 59RI. That guitar is a much better instrument. But I would like that old Deluxe back...
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737