Not a big fan of gold so this is how I dealt with the parts that you can't replace off the shelf....
1) Run to the hardware store.
2) Raise the pole pieces, and neatly tape off. Gently turn the screws back down to sit against the tape.
3) Goop it up and let it sit. This polish is pretty nasty, and smells like ammonia, so be careful.
4) "Polish" the gold right off with a cloth. Repeat step 3 a few times.
5) Finish up with a piece of 1000 grit folded sandpaper to reach the hard to get spots.
6) Clean up with some guitar polish, reset the screws, and enjoy.