Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Tone, Urban Legends, and PRS

  1. #21
    Senior Member gush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    washington iowa
    Posts
    752
    My prs purchase makes me sound better. thats what Im after. If a LP makes you sound better thats what you should buy. I cant always identify a certian brand on a recording but if it sounds good so what. Just watched a zep dvd, JP really pulls some good sounds out of that LP, I would bet he is really comfortable on that LP too.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I don't know, they all sound like guitars to me! and I like guitars.
    Thats also how I feel. And I'm also a believer that tonal personality is in the hands not the gear. But hey! This is all too subjective, as all art forms are. I guess it all comes down to personal taste. Just look at what Jack White can accomplish with crappy guitars and gear. Wether we like it or not, the dude sounds big. And people love it. And he don't need no private stock.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Thats also how I feel. And I'm also a believer that tonal personality is in the hands not the gear. But hey! This is all too subjective, as all art forms are. I guess it all comes down to personal taste. Just look at what Jack White can accomplish with crappy guitars and gear. Wether we like it or not, the dude sounds big. And people love it. And he don't need no private stock.
    Good comments, though I can personally observe that my guitars really do sound different from one another with only me playing them.

    Jack White's thing with the cheap guitars started as part of his "Garage" band ethic with The Go, his original band, who I know pretty well. The whole Garage movement in Detroit was a lo-fi, rough and ready kind of vibe, and part of the aesthetic was to use lesser-known, Sears catalog style instruments, etc. In fact, The Go mastered some of their recordings on cassette machines, so they'd even sound worse.

    But lately, Jack has been playing various Gretsch models a lot, some of which are pretty expensive.

    And part of the appeal is the guy has an amazing voice. He really cranks it out, especially live.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Good comments, though I can personally observe that my guitars really do sound different from one another with only me playing them.

    Jack White's thing with the cheap guitars started as part of his "Garage" band ethic with The Go, his original band, who I know pretty well. The whole Garage movement in Detroit was a lo-fi, rough and ready kind of vibe, and part of the aesthetic was to use lesser-known, Sears catalog style instruments, etc. In fact, The Go mastered some of their recordings on cassette machines, so they'd even sound worse.

    But lately, Jack has been playing various Gretsch models a lot, some of which are pretty expensive.

    And part of the appeal is the guy has an amazing voice. He really cranks it out, especially live.
    Hey LSchefman
    I have to agree with you. The obvious would be the difference between single coils and humbucker pickups. They sound really different, who ever plays them. But sounding different and sounding original and personal is another thing, imho. I just love my expensive PRS. It is the most inspiring guitar i ever own. But will it enable me to devellop a personal sound? It is something that still need to be accomplish. Unfortunately, that aspect didn't come as an option with the guitar. And it didn't instantly made me a better player. Just a lot more motivated, which right there justified the expense. I still have to do the work.

    I'm no connoisseur of Jack White but I've been building a lot of respect lately for the artist. And he just rocked at the grammy tonite. Def my fave of the show

    Thanks for sharing your info about the guy.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I just love my expensive PRS. It is the most inspiring guitar i ever own. But will it enable me to devellop a personal sound?
    Steph, I honestly think that all instruments enable one to develop a personal sound to a degree; give two artists the same brush and the same paints, and the results are still going to be two different paintings.

    For me, the instrument is a platform. That is, you start with its inherent tone; from there, the platform should work with your brain, ears, and hands; you should be able to get tones out of it that you want to hear. Whether that's a PRS or something else is up to your ears, hands and brain.

    For me, the beauty of PRS is that they make guitars I can easily get the sounds I want on. I love how they work as platforms for my personal tone. It's like standing on solid ground, and building a building. You need the foundation to be right for you.

    That's going to vary from person to person.

    I think PRS are a good platform for a lot of artists, but everyone's got different needs.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-11-2013 at 10:14 AM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Steph, I honestly think that all instruments enable one to develop a personal sound to a degree; give two artists the same brush and the same paints, and the results are still going to be two different paintings.

    For me, the instrument is a platform. That is, you start with its inherent tone; from there, the platform should work with your brain, ears, and hands; you should be able to get tones out of it that you want to hear. Whether that's a PRS or something else is up to your ears, hands and brain.

    For me, the beauty of PRS is that they make guitars I can easily get the sounds I want on. I love how they work as platforms for my personal tone. It's like standing on solid ground, and building a building. You need the foundation to be right for you.

    That's going to vary from person to person.

    I think PRS are a good platform for a lot of artists, but everyone's got different needs.
    Excellent comment LSchefman. I totally relate with this perspective. Thank you for sharing.

  7. #27
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    633
    "PRS guitars can come close to a lot of sounds but don't have a sound of their own."
    To me that means PRS have a sound of their own

  8. #28
    For me the whole point was to get something that wasn't "standard" and that had its own sound in order to allow me to have my own sound too.

    I admit that I fell in love with PRS guitars for their looks first. The PRS doublecut shape to me is still the most beautiful guitar shape available. But what won me over to actually buying one (and now I already have three) was the playability, the sound and the tonal flexibility.

    To address a specific point that Les made: I mostly crank the guitar volume and run the gain pretty high but the PRS guitars can keep up where others struggle. I've recently tried an R7 through my amp and with the amount of gain I typically use it lost all clarity, whereas you could still hear a lot of nuance with my SC250 (and the other PRSi too).

    So I'd argue that PRS guitars have their own, clearer voice. And IMHO that's a good thing.

    And yes, I can also get angry when people are parroting others' unqualified statements about the sound of PRS guitars.
    Alex

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    To me that means PRS have a sound of their own
    Absolutely!!

    As I said in an earlier post, a guitar is a platform with a basic tone, and ideally it should be compatible with the tone you want to hear.

    There are lots of guitars that sound like the "usual suspects." That's all well and good. I like to find my own path.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox77 View Post
    So I'd argue that PRS guitars have their own, clearer voice. And IMHO that's a good thing.

    And yes, I can also get angry when people are parroting others' unqualified statements about the sound of PRS guitars.
    Yup.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •