Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Proper Cup of Coffee

Ok, for the record... never. Not ever. Nope.

One Life

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    I was reading about Kopi Luwak just last night! Wondered if anyone would mention it on this thread (forgot to myself...).

I'll stick to Kona!

Big coffee fan here. I have a proper bean-to-cup machine at home and buy mail order beans from a good UK supplier. I must go and get one now, actually...

When I'm out and about I favour Cafe Nero, followed by Costa. I only use Starbucks in Red Cup season for the Gingerbread Lattes!

Hi, fellow Aussie also originally from Adelaide.

Fortunate to know local a roaster who will tweak the roast for me, we use Ethiopian Sidamo.
    I have a good grinder and good domestic manual machine which works well - but when it packs up I will be getting a small commercial machine.
    Had 4 expensive automatic machines but none have come close to a good manual one.
    No instant "coffee substitute" in my house.

Love me some good Joe...however...we used to have band practice on Saturday mornings in Reisterstown and I would stop at Royal Farm store and pick up 2 Mountain Dews, a large pack of Berger Cookies, and a BIG morning coffee...the guys couldn't understand why I always was ahead of them in the songs we rehearsed...??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Coffee snob here. I often give 100% pure, trellis-grown, Kona beans to my closest friends. At least to the ones who drink coffee.
    WTF?
    Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Coffee snob here. I often give 100% pure, trellis-grown, Kona beans to my closest friends. At least to the ones who drink coffee.

.................................................. .......................... .................................................. .........
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Banned
    How about coffee machines? After 30 years of making sure I had a full pot every morning....I've settled on the Cuisinart 3000....a great machine that allows you to make from 1 to 12 cups at a time....and never uses the carafs that always end up breaking. You dispense the coffee right from the tank that it collects in.

Personally...I find the Keurigs....and their clones...to be a sign of the times....more people living alone....fewer people sharing coffee time together....more demand for the single cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post
    I was reading about Kopi Luwak just last night! Wondered if anyone would mention it on this thread (forgot to myself...).
    Watch the YouTube clip in the first post. It was the subject of a subplot in The Bucket List. I had to Google it to believe it!

When I was working from home regularly, I considered one of those single cup Keurig or similar machines because my wife doesn't drink coffee and I only have a single cup a few days a week. I wasn't impressed with the taste of the brews I tried from a friend. Starting to work from home again, so I may try a little espresso machine.
    --Garrett--

I love hot coffee. I really like a good cup of Kona. But most of the time when I drink coffee it's from the Keurig we have at home. I also have to admit that I like Starbuck's Pike Place coffee.

I hate iced coffee. I pretty much hate coffee flavored anything. I hate cream and sugar in regular coffee - espresso is different. About once a year I'll drink a mocha or some other girlie espresso drink.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Banned
    I was surprised to learn (many years ago) that espresso has LESS caffeine than "regular coffee".

Has anyone else heard of this? My prior impression had always been that espresso was a stronger blend of caffeine, but I was told "Nope" by someone who was considered to be knowledgable about that kind of stuff.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    I was surprised to learn (many years ago) that espresso has LESS caffeine than "regular coffee".

Has anyone else heard of this? My prior impression had always been that espresso was a stronger blend of caffeine, but I was told "Nope" by someone who was considered to be knowledgable about that kind of stuff.
    Isn't it because espresso is usually smaller?
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    Isn't it because espresso is usually smaller?
    Nope...I'm talking about "caffeine content" regardless of the size of the serving.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Nope...I'm talking about "caffeine content" regardless of the size of the serving.
    Would this help?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Caffeine_content
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Personally...I find the Keurigs....and their clones...to be a sign of the times....more people living alone....fewer people sharing coffee time together....more demand for the single cup.
    That's not really the case. The machines are often found in offices these days, where people can get a fresh cup, as opposed to having one of those cheesy industrial coffees that sit in a pot and burn for hours. At one studio I do a lot of audio post in, people hang out and talk near the Keurig just as they did at the old coffee machine.

At home, I like to have three cups of coffee between the time I wake up and lunchtime. When I grind, the first cup is always good. Then my option is to have a relatively burnt cup later on, as the coffee sits and turns bitter on a heated appliance, or pour it into a thermal carafe (thermos kind of thing), where it's better but still not as good as freshly brewed.

My wife and I have coffee together in the morning. But I like extra-dark coffee, and she likes weaker blends. The machine lets us each pick our own blend to start the day, without having to make two separate grinds, and use two separate drip machines and their associated cleanup. We sit and each enjoy our coffee together with the Verismo.

In the afternoon, I need a quick cup of coffee (sometimes a latte is good) at mid-afternoon. Often I'm working, and don't want to screw around with a grinder and the whole mishmash. The Verismo is great.

On those occasions when clients come over, I put out a bunch of different coffee pods, and everyone gets to choose what they like, and can make it fresh, while I keep working in the studio. No need for me to quit in the middle of a take and play host if someone wants to just have a fresh cup.

This works the same way when social guests and family come over! In fact, I got the idea for getting my first Tassimo (which is a good machine, too) because my daughter got one as a wedding gift. When we visited, she had the varieties out (at the time Starbucks was Tassimo only), and everyone got to pick their coffee, or have latte, or whatever, and it was pretty darn enjoyable! That's when I got one.

When I had family and friends over a few weeks later, the same thing happened, and my brother and his wife liked it so much they got one. Clients like it.
    Family likes it. My wife likes it. I like it. Several friends have gotten them. Of course, my brother Robert (the artist) will not use one. But not because the coffee isn't good. He thinks the pods are overpriced and a waste.

So I think it's a very social machine, certainly as much as any other kind of coffee maker, and because it allows the individual to pick a coffee, it's great for hosting guests. That's my actual experience.

By the way, I also have a Cuisinart machine, and a Braun machine, so that we can grind coffees for entertaining if we want, and have enough for guests when each machine doesn't make enough coffee at once, but we really like the Verismo a lot.

Here's my thinking on "signs of the times" in general: are we being social here? Not in person, but would I be friends with Bennett, for example, in "real life?" Probably not, we'd never have gotten to meet. I think the friends with whom we engage in conversation here are real people, and we have real friendships and good discussions. Where else can you discuss guitars with a couple of thousand people?

Do things like the internet result for some people in alienation from personal relationships? No doubt. But I suspect that for many of us, the net is simply a substitute for other entertainment. At the movies, you're essentially every bit as alone, even if you go with a group, since you're not talking (hopefully) during the film. If you watch TV, it's not like you're engaging in conversation in a meaningful way at the same time.

If you're reading, same thing. There have always been pastimes that really are "alone time." People need to mentally get away from the chatter at times.

Finally, I would like to observe that we PRS players really ARE a bunch of yuppie cork-sniffers (or in this case, coffee grind sniffers). Guilty as charged!
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.

It's my understanding that espresso is higher in caffeine, but since it's so strong, you drink less of it and therefore consume less caffeine. A cappuccino ends up with less caffeine vs. a cup of drip brew coffee of equivalent size.

Small "coffee of the day" (drip brewed coffee) from Caribou: 230 mg caffeine
    Small cappuccino or latte (shot of espresso + milk) from Caribou: 180 mg
    --Garrett--

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post

So...you were right...

Caffeine contentThe caffeine content of a cup of coffee varies depending mainly on the brewing method, and also on the variety of seed.[142]
    According to an article in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, coffee has the following caffeine content, depending on how it is prepared:[143]
    Serving size Caffeine content
    Brewed 7 oz, 207 ml 80–135 mg
    Drip 7 oz, 207 ml 115–175 mg
    Espresso 1.5–2 oz, 45–60 ml 100 mg

And, Richard Neer...of WNEW FM, circa 1984....was WRONG. And I thought he knew everything!!

Thanks pal! That makes sense, and clears up a misconception I've been sharing with too many people for the past 30 years or so.

Gotta jump in on this one.

I spent many years drinking Maxwell House and thinking it was good. Kind of like my Budweiser days but that's another story.

A few years ago I married a smart woman who is now a certified Coffee Master managing a store for Starbucks. Now I get up in the morning and grind enough beans to brew one large travelor mug of good coffee using my kitchen aid grinder (pictured several posts back) and my Techni-form Mocca Master brewer. On occasion she will break out the Jamaican Blue or some other top stash she has hidden away and make us a French Press. I don't consider myself a coffee snob or afficiano but living with someone who reads books on the subject and does tastings has changed my coffee drinking habits for the better. I now drink less of it but enjoy it more when I do.

My beer drinking tastes have also changed over the years but that's a result of living in Bavaria for a few years and belongs in a different thread.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    WTF?
    You're a coffee drinker, Steve????

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    .................................................. .......................... .................................................. .........
    Whatever. I KNOW you're not a coffee drinker.

I find the Keurigs....and their clones...to be a sign of the times...
    I bought a Keurig B155 for the office and share it with 25 of my colleagues. There was a community pot and we got tired of the 1st guy to the office filling it up with Folgers. I'm not drinking Folgers unless I'm desperate. Also, some people would never come through when it was their turn to bring the beans.

The Keurig resolved this issue permenantly. Now everyone must bring in their own supplies. I get the Starbucks Veranda Blend (Blonde) and find it to be quite good for office coffee. I run the machine twice with the same K-cup - 6 ounces each time - and let the hot water soak in the beans for at least 2 minutes before the 2nd run. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 02-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    One Life