Thread: Best gig ever

Best gig ever

We just had our best gig ever. Outdoor evening gig, one and a half hours, as part of The Wooden Boats Festival and Navy Week down here. It wasn't necessarily the biggest crowd or my favourite set list, but we played and performed the best we ever had, we were tight, polished, flowed well and had a bunch of fun doing it. It helped that we did the same show the night before, same set, same stage, same guys doing the audio and lights. Any little mistakes or stage sound problems we fixed tonight and I was a lot happier with my sound (new rig, Mark V and G-system), which made me more comfortable and new solo ideas flowed out of my fingers.

So what about you? What's your best gig ever? What factors culminated in it being "the best"?

Alternatively, if you don't play gigs, when have you played the best?

Let's see some pics of said gig. Really I just want to see pics of folks living in the southern hemisphere, not freezing their asses off.

Haha I will once I get some shots! Forgot to mention I alternated between the NF3 and SE semi-hollow (with 53/10s). Between those 2 axes I felt like I could cover any sonic territory, even the "heavier" stuff (Darkness and Evanescence). PRS, best guitars ever!

Great to hear.
    I never really thought about one show being better than another, but New Year's Eve many years ago with the Goldenaires (a swing band) was awesome. It was our last show, a couple thousand people out for a good time, the singers were blowing their pipes out and we cut loose with no worries.

I have several shows that come to mind. Late 80s were good. In riverside iowa we have whats called trek fest, riverside was picked to beTHE future birthplace of captian kirk and spawned some of the best street dances ever! I have played those in five different bands over the course of 30 years. WE played it last year and its not what it used to be. I had an acoustic band in the early 90s, one show in particular turned into a rock show.It was bizzare, some musician friends from out of town showed up and the place was packed. People were asking for ac/dc ????? WTH, this is an acoustic band! OOOOOOkay, my friend Karen said she would sing it and her husband Bob offeredto help with guitar duties so we did it. It was the craziest thing ever, wedid a full set of ROCK music and peol

Best gig ever for me was a recording gig in the late 90s. Pontiac decided they wanted to record a bunch of original ad music tracks in Europe because they were going to give CDs to their dealer associations so the national ads and regional ads would have the same music, but this meant they couldn't track talent payments. So they sent me to Paris, where I booked a great studio on lockout for a week, and was given a fairly large budget to bring in whoever I wanted to work with.

The band was Laurie Wisefield on guitar (Wishbone Ash, Joe Cocker, Eric Clapton), Chuck Sabo (Elton John, Joe Cocker, many others) drums, and I was on bass and keys. We had a great time, and it was one heckuva gig! Here's a shot of Laurie soloing (the amp head is a JTM45 reissue, the cabinet was in the live room):

Best gig ever. Two great guys to work with also. The next year we did the same thing in Amsterdam.

One fun thing was that the band sounded so good that French bands were coming in from the other recording rooms in the studio to watch us work! The engineers told us that no one was rocking like Englishmen and Americans, so they wanted to figure out what we were doing!
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Let's see some pics of said gig. Really I just want to see pics of folks living in the southern hemisphere, not freezing their asses off.
    Here you go, turns out my mum is a crappy photographer. I don't even have one of the whole stage/setting, but you get a bit of an idea from these couple. I'll get some more soon.

Peter, gush and Les - they're some great stories! Keep 'em coming guys!

Lookin' good, Justin! That NF3 is sharp.
    One Life

Love the pics, Justmund!

Thanks Hans and Les, I found some more. This time from a professional photographer and with the SE:

Looking good buddy!!!!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”