Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your SECOND favorite instrument?

Serial Acquisitionist s.fitzsimmons's Avatar

What's your SECOND favorite instrument?

Saw the piano thread and it got me thinking. Assuming that guitar is your favorite instrument to listen ton, what is your second favorite instrument to play or listen to. Can be one that you play, or still hope to figure out. I'd have to go for the Cello. Can't play it, but always wanted one. How about you?
    Last edited by s.fitzsimmons; 02-11-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Probably the keyboard / piano. I'm well below average but I have just enough knowledge to lay down some basic parts when recording.

Having said that, I really love the sound of a sax.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Percussion for me, I love getting behind a kit (I had V-Drums up until recently) and banging on the cajon or djembe.

The next house I buy will have a big room dedicated to music gear, so I can get a real kit and leave it set up permanently!

Learned music on/grew up playing the tuba. It was fun, and the sex appeal of tubas is hard to beat.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

After guitars its a modular synth for me. But I must admit its more of an adult activity centre rather than a musical instrument Knobs, buttons, flashing lights......

Quote Originally Posted by s.fitzsimmons View Post
    Saw the piano thread and it got me thinking. Assuming that guitar is your favorite instrument to listen ton, what is your second favorite instrument to play or listen to. Can be one that you play, or still hope to figure out. I'd have to go for the Cello. Can't play it, but always wanted one. How about you?
    TRUMPET !!!

I'm a drummer at heart.
    Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I'm a drummer at heart.
    ^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^

Guitar is #2, this is #1:
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Drums. Funny cause I air drum more than I air guitar.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by FlameTop View Post
    After guitars its a modular synth for me. But I must admit its more of an adult activity centre rather than a musical instrument Knobs, buttons, flashing lights......

Somebody call 911!

Elizabeth! (while clutching chest) Elizabeth! I'm comin' to you! It's the BIG ONE! (passes out on floor)...........

I'm a better Drummer than Guitar player.... Drums.

(I still like to play drums but my marriage would be worse for wear if I did. )

Piano is my favorite instrument. After that, guitar.

Drums for me, but...

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Learned music on/grew up playing the tuba. It was fun, and the sex appeal of tubas is hard to beat.
    In high school, I switched from drums (did not get along with the rest of the drum section) to tuba. There were two of us full-time, and three sax players moved over for football and marching season. Somehow, we became a sensation - we had people show up with signs for the tuba section and everything. They called us the White Shadows because the tubas were painted white.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Pedal steel. I play guitar, and I've messed around with slide almost as long as I've been playing guitar, (50 years now!), but I physically can't play pedal steel. I had polio as a baby, I've walked with a limp all my life, and my right leg isn't good for much except standing on, and that not for long periods of time. I sit on a stool on gigs, and do all my footswitching and pedal operation with my left foot, as the right one won't do that. Plus, I can't lift a 50-pound pedal steel out of the case--I'd be on the floor! I love the instrument, and I have great fun playing steel licks on guitar, but I'm not cut out to be a pedal steel player--I don't have enough functioning feet!

Violin. I played when I was a kid but tough financial times forced me to give it up. I will have another one someday.

Drums definitely. I own a kit and have been playing off and on for years, and have done a couple solo EPs where I played all the instruments. I also played drums for a while in this heavy metal band with some friends called The Satanists, we dressed up in S&M costumes and played really bad metal as loud as we possibly could.

Sadly, having small children in the house not only eats up all your free time, but you can't play drums after they go to bed. My skills have really declined the last few years. It's frustrating now to get behind the kit and just totally suck at it. I don't want to afford a V-Drum kit, they're just too expensive and the cheaper electronic drums all play and sound not so good.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Drums are definitely my favorite instrument to play I think when I want to turn my mind off. Nothing like a sweet, phat beat to let out some stress.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameTop View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize we were all friends with Trent Reznor - hey man! haha
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Bass, love bass .

Cello will be my next instrument I play if I can ever afford one lol

Bass. I love good bass tone and a good bass player. I'm not good at it, but haven't spent much time either.

I play bass. Almost all of my band experience is on bass. I play bass like a bass player; not a guitar player on bass. That's an important distinction.

But my first love? Piano.
    One Life