Thread: So 305 fans...

So 305 fans...

How do you have your pickups set up? We all know how sensitive they are to adjustment...I finally decided lowering all three as low as they would go is giving me the best all around strat like sound when fine tuned to my PRS Recording Amp and my Marshall 2466....I found a few other good heights but I always felt like I was fighting the bridge and Bridge/Middle positions when pickups were set higher.

Shawn feel free to jump in and tell us where the PTC boys prefer to set them.

Again I'm going for more of a vintage strat sound (Hendrix to SRV)...with that juicy natural compression,sag and snarl when you dig in with the right tube amp....(think cranked marshall circuit or tweed...as opposed to blackface)...raising them up a bit brings me more into modern strat/Jeff Beck land...

I'm not sure if I'm 100% satisfied with where I have them set right now...it was kind of odd lowering them all....but I'm in the right ball park...I've also had to run very different EQ structures than I'm used to running with my other guitars.

on both the Marshall and the Recording Amp I've been running treble and bass gains close to maxed with treble slightly higher than bass...then running Bass and Mids at about two thirds and treble one third...and using my volume and tone knobs to shape clean to snarly.
    -Bob

I have the 513 and find that really low height gives me amazingly convincing strat tones. The higher they go the more output and gain comes in...my preference lies in the middle ground. Not high but not too low. Can clip the front end of an amp if I really dig in but can stay sparkly clean if I dont.

Example on my youtube channel of cleans

Quote Originally Posted by MrGuitarDon View Post
    I have the 513 and find that really low height gives me amazingly convincing strat tones. The higher they go the more output and gain comes in...my preference lies in the middle ground. Not high but not too low. Can clip the front end of an amp if I really dig in but can stay sparkly clean if I dont.

Example on my youtube channel of cleans
    Nice playing!

I've sat there for hours tweaking at quarter turns and had ended up with more mid to high settings...had it pretty much perfect with one amp...I plugged in to another wasn't happy with the bridge (which is always the one that gets me)...and out came the screw driver.
    -Bob

Yeah. In general I like them medium to low but there are so many tones available with the turn of a screw its hard to settle one just one setup.

It's funny...you change one you change them all!
    -Bob