Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Brent Mason Sig - Anyone tried it yet?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Posts
    207
    You could use a push-pull pot--I'd put it on the tone control--to add the bridge pickup to whatever's selected on the 5-way. You'd get a few redundant positions--the bridge-only position (#1) and the bridge-and middle (#2) wouldn't change, and the middle position (#3) with the push-pull activated would be the same as #2--but pull the pot on the neck-and-middle position (#4) and you get all three pickups on, and the pull on #5 (neck pickup) gives you neck-and-bridge together. I've got a Carvin DC145 (two humbuckers with coil splitters plus a single-coil in the middle) wired up that way, and it works great. There is some loss of level with the coil-splits on the Carvin, and I understand the Brent Mason doesn't do that--just one of the reasons I want to try one!
    yankeebulldog--is that platinum metallic or frost blue? Looks great!
    Last edited by jfine; 03-07-2013 at 05:05 AM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    You could use a push-pull pot--I'd put it on the tone control--to add the bridge pickup to whatever's selected on the 5-way. You'd get a few redundant positions--the bridge-only position (#1) and the bridge-and middle (#2) wouldn't change, and the middle position (#3) with the push-pull activated would be the same as #2--but pull the pot on the neck-and-middle position (#4) and you get all three pickups on, and the pull on #5 (neck pickup) gives you neck-and-bridge together. I've got a Carvin DC145 (two humbuckers with coil splitters plus a single-coil in the middle) wired up that way, and it works great. There is some loss of level with the coil-splits on the Carvin, and I understand the Brent Mason doesn't do that--just one of the reasons I want to try one!
    yankeebulldog--is that platinum metallic or frost blue? Looks great!
    It's Frost Blue. Platinum comes with a black guard.

    You might be able to add a push pull for both outside pickups but I'm not sure if there is enough height in the cavity for that kind of pot. Alternatively, could add another mini switch if you didn't mind putting another hole in the guard. Also, I'm pretty sure the split tones in that position wouldn't be hum cancelling if that matters to you.
    Last edited by yankeebulldog; 03-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  3. #23
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    584
    Im interested in how these new neck joints affect the tone of the guitar compared to the old CEs.I would love to hear a custom with this new neckpocket.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

  4. #24
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Im interested in how these new neck joints affect the tone of the guitar compared to the old CEs.I would love to hear a custom with this new neckpocket.
    I can't believe you didn't ask if it had a steel trem block or not!!!???

  5. #25
    Senior Member VHTStark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta Canada
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Im interested in how these new neck joints affect the tone of the guitar compared to the old CEs.I would love to hear a custom with this new neckpocket.
    I am guessing it would be noticeable since the CE joint is the exact same as the custom's.....just bolted in. The joint on the BM, NF3 and DC3 is much more like a strat and tele. That, coupled with the slightly longer scale and I think it would definitely alter the tone.

  6. #26
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I can't believe you didn't ask if it had a steel trem block or not!!!???
    Hahahahaha!Of course i know theres no steelblock but thats the first thing i would change if i bought a BM signature anyway
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

  7. #27
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Hahahahaha!Of course i know theres no steelblock but thats the first thing i would change if i bought a BM signature anyway
    Confirmed block is brass. If it was steel, I'd expect it to be mentioned in the specs like the DC3. Just out of curiosity, were does one get a replacement steel block for the modern PRS trem?
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  8. #28
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Confirmed block is brass. If it was steel, I'd expect it to be mentioned in the specs like the DC3. Just out of curiosity, were does one get a replacement steel block for the modern PRS trem?
    I had my steelblock custom made by Callaham.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

  9. #29
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    384
    Thanks. Figured he'd be the guy. Bought quite a few parts from him before I realized I'm not a strat guy.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  10. #30
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    384
    Here are a couple of clips from NAMM that Wildwood just posted:
    Lots of cat killing tones, not easy on the ears:
    http://youtu.be/A7DYLD-fcEI
    This one actually made me laugh a bit:
    http://youtu.be/OitFD5SU9kw
    Last edited by yankeebulldog; 03-18-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  11. #31
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Here are a couple of clips from NAMM that Wildwood just posted:
    Lots of cat killing tones, not easy on the ears:
    http://youtu.be/A7DYLD-fcEI
    This one actually made me laugh a bit:
    http://youtu.be/OitFD5SU9kw
    I want one.

  12. #32
    Very funny video. So does the 408 guitar have a resistor and the Brent Mason model does not?
    Last edited by David Grantham; 03-19-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    DGT Secretary of Space

  13. #33
    Bark like a dog. No, a little dog - while making your belly shake like Santa.

    And... what the hell is a Double-Red-Breasted Matress-thrasher?

    One Life

  14. #34
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grantham View Post
    Very funny video. So does the 408 guitar have a resistor and the Brent Mason model does not?
    I caught that too. I guess with the single in the middle, you probably don't want that resistor there so the 408s split have just as much high end as the 305? We didn't really A/B this with Pete's 408 PS during our tone fest but obviously there is a lot more going on there than just the pickups and the resistors.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Posts
    207
    yankeebulldog--thanks for posting those clips. Killer! Greg Koch is nuts (in a good way!) and he sure can pick! I really want one of those Brent Mason models now...

  16. #36
    CLIMBING VINTAGE PRS MT.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    170
    The Brent Mason model tone wise is the best bang for your buck in the PRS guitar line up. Love mine.

  17. #37
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    384
    Another cool demo....although the amp is the star of this one:

    http://youtu.be/hB752mXdE9g
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •