Thread: New SE245

New SE245

Hi first post here, just wanted to say I have been looking for a Les Paul type guitar to use at some of the shall we say less salubrious establishments my band play at where I wouldn't want to take my 58 reissue. I came across the PRS SE 245 (having never really considered a PRS before) and I have to say this thing rocks big time, I have read many reviews and comments from owners who have felt the need to mod this model but honestly I cant think why. From the box I only needed to tweak the truss rod to take some of the relief out of the neck and drop the action a tad and it plays as sweet as a nut and talking of nuts this has one of the best cut nuts straight from the factory I have ever seen absolutely perfect. The pickups are excellent they scream when I need it and clean up really nicely and I really cant find a single fault with the build quality superb stuff!!!! Right that's the pros now the cons I really will have to change the knobs they are truly horrible that's it the only thing I can find wrong with this guitar.

Welcome Bumps, great intro and report. We'd love to see some pics, especially some before and afters!

I will post some pics when I get a chance can't decide whether to go with just plain gold speed knobs or I must admit I think it would look good with four chrome Tele type knobs decisions decisions!!!! Oh by the way its tortoise shell.

I just got the tortoise shell one too, I kinda like the knobs though, they blend in nicely. But gold speed knobs would look sharp too. That would be my first choice. I would agree though, stock they're pretty darn good - love playing mine.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Hey Bumps, welcome! And congrats on the new guitar, can't wait to see some pics!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Not the best pic in the world but its all I have at the moment

Welcome to he club. I recently bought a se 245 ltd edition. I too had to set the relief and action but not by much. They are great guitars. I agree about the nut they are well cut the pickups are great too.

Congrats on your new SE245!

I have the same model and color.
    I also hated the red knobs so I switched them out for Gibson "Amber".
    I found the pickups adequate but I play through a high gain amp and found them to be a little harsh.
    I eventually swapped them out for a pair of Gibson '57 Classics.
    They offer a much smoother response through my rig.

Here's mine.

dbonanno that looks very classy