Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 5 AM "knock on the door" is never good news.....

Sorry to hear this Doc, I had a similar experience in my neighborhood a couple years ago, no cops showing up but a break in to my car. Its sucks and it proves that it can happen in any neighborhood. Glad it wasnt worse.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clcwarlock View Post
    Sorry to hear this Doc, I had a similar experience in my neighborhood a couple years ago, no cops showing up but a break in to my car. Its sucks and it proves that it can happen in any neighborhood. Glad it wasnt worse.
    Oh...I've had it happen before. I remember the night my wife and I dined out at a restaurant in Hoboken....Literally right around the corner from the local police precinct. Came back to find the rear passenger window smashed to smithereens and the interior ransacked. I believe that they had seen my "bag phone" (remember cell phones from the late '80's?) and decided to smash into the car to get it and whatever else they could find.

Anyway, that's disconcerting...but not nearly as bad as having the flashing lights lighting up the dark cul de sac....2 patrolman at the door.....2 walking on the driveway. And I'm going downstairs, disheveled, confused....realizing that it's only 4:45 AM and I should have had another 75 minutes before I have to get up for work......and thinking, "why is th3mike outside coming to arrest me? What have I done wrong this time"??

Anyway...that's what really got to me....having los agents de la policia at my doorstep before 5 AM in the morning. Of course, now that th3mike has posted above, I'll be more concerned if I see police outside at 6AM when I usually walk the dog.

Good luck on finding that handgun, Doc. I want a 9mm Glock or a S&W M&P 9mm and cannot find one. They are all sold out. At our local Bass Pro shop, the salesman told me that the manufacturers are so far behind, they weren't even taking orders. Glock is a year behind in manufacturering.

edit: Nope. Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn@PRS; 02-17-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: No politics
    From the People's Republic of Maryland (One beer away from the West Street Shop)

GO NATS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewoodsteel View Post
    Good luck on finding that handgun, Doc. I want a 9mm Glock or a S&W M&P 9mm and cannot find one. They are all sold out. At our local Bass Pro shop, the salesman told me that the manufacturers are so far behind, they weren't even taking orders. Glock is a year behind in manufacturering.

edit: Nope. Shawn
    My local shop sold 70 (yes, that's right SEVENTY) "as new" security company trade in (most had never been fired) Glock 19s (9mm) in ONE DAY!

And yes, I'm waiting for the paperwork to clear on mine...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

I've been trying to find a reasonable deal on a Bill Wilson Carry without any luck.

A Glock 30 would be good but a little to blocky (for my preference) for daily carry. Still need to check out the Glock 38.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I've been trying to find a reasonable deal on a Bill Wilson Carry without any luck.

A Glock 30 would be good but a little to blocky (for my preference) for daily carry. Still need to check out the Glock 38.
    If you're looking at Glocks, look at the 23. It's the smaller .40 cal, but not the really small frame...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

One of my police officer friends in Detroit told me that unless you have regular military/police training, you're more likely to be killed if you pull a handgun out than if you don't.

You're also more likely to be charged with a crime resulting from mistake, erroneous fear, bravado, etc. Early in my legal career (late 70s) I defended cops who were charged with various crimes, after pulling out their handguns in "iffy" circumstances. These guys were trained professionals, and still made some very questionable calls.

One guy actually killed his own son by mistake.

I'm not against guns, but please be careful, guys!

My home defense strategy is sooo third world. I have a machete!! I haven't tried opening a coconut with a Glock yet, but maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    One of my police officer friends in Detroit told me that unless you have regular military/police training, you're more likely to be killed if you pull a handgun out than if you don't.
    The statistics simply do not support this. In fact, if you look at the data, it exactly the opposite. I highly recommend anyone to read economist John Lott's book More Guns, Less Crime.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You're also more likely to be charged with a crime resulting from mistake, erroneous fear, bravado, etc. Early in my legal career (late 70s) I defended cops who were charged with various crimes, after pulling out their handguns in "iffy" circumstances. These guys were trained professionals, and still made some very questionable calls.

One guy actually killed his own son by mistake.

I'm not against guns, but please be careful, guys!
    I cannot effectively debate you here, Les, because the real debate is obscured by politics, and we don't discuss that here.

I do, however, agree that there is need for vastly more training.

The following is not directed specifically at Les, but to everyone in the discussion.... [SOAPBOX]

There is something wrong with the American male. (this may apply overseas, but I cannot witness to it.) I have seen it time and time again, males of our species believe it is in our DNA to be proficient in all kinds of skill endeavors with driving and shooting at the top of the list. "Don't tell me how to do it - I'm a MAN. It's in my DNA!"

I can tell you on both counts that it is NOT.

Wanna test yourself? Take a few hot laps at Watkins Glen. If you survive, try competing in an IPSC match with your brand new 9mm. If you don't get Disqualified (DQed) for safety violations, look for your score at the very bottom of the list. Even if you practice informally. Even if you are an annually certified Policeman. Even if you are a Police armorer. Even if you are a certified Police marksman. Even if you are fresh out of the Armed Forces . Even if you are still in.

The civilians I shoot with wax all of the above 'trained' shooters regularly and with authority. We have Maryland and DC Police and MD SWAT guys who shoot with us because it supplements their training in no way the Police ranges can afford to do.

It is a serious mistake for anyone to go out and buy a gun for self protection if they are not serious about real training and regular, stressed practice.

It's not in your DNA. The only thing in your DNA is your DNA. [/SOAPBOX]
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    The statistics simply do not support this. In fact, if you look at the data, it exactly the opposite. I highly recommend anyone to read economist John Lott's book More Guns, Less Crime. [/SOAPBOX]
    This is good to know. As I said, I'm not against guns. I'm for people having the right training. I'm also for people not losing their cool and pulling out a gun when they shouldn't.

The courts are full of folks who got angry, and brandished a weapon, only to be charged with assaults, etc.

I think it's good to be extra-careful.

I can shoot skeet well, but a handgun is a different responsibility altogether.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.

You are a true gentleman, Les.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    You are a true gentleman, Les.
    My wife says I need to put the toilet seat down more regularly in order to qualify for that accolade.

Love Glocks - but i'll never "pull" one for self protection ...
    S&W Air Weight in in your jacket pocket can be ready address the problem- if needed - and never seen. Oh you may need a new jacket....but you'll never have to explain pulling a gun you didn't use.

Concealed carry should be just that unless it's going to go BANG.

-Sorry Shawn.
    My intention was not to tread in the political arena, just to state the facts. Sorry if I blurred the line.

John
    From the People's Republic of Maryland (One beer away from the West Street Shop)

GO NATS!

Another, hopefully rare exception, benefit of a handgun. If you're robbed and call the police, only to hear "we're in the middle of a shift change, we can have someone there a few hours" can be a bit frustrating. Informing them that your Glock 9mm was among the stolen items gets a completely different response - "someone will be RIGHT over!". I hung up phone and went into bathroom to brush my teeth, had not yet spit out the first pass... and there was a knock at the door.