Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 'DUH' Question Thread

I don't know if it's true or not, but there are stories about Eric Johnson saying the battery brand in his stomp tuner impacts tone... I think that's taking the whole tone chain thing just a little too far. But it may just be internet lore anyway, so...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    Thanks, btw you've just invented a killer trick to amp marketing - make a special volume knob and claim "The only amp in the world that goes up to 11"
    I'll sell it to Paul and we'll share the revenue, ok?
    Al...I sold my Soldano SLO 100 last year. Yes....the numbers did go up to "11". And I was never able to get it above "4" in my basement without shaking the foundation. I played it through a full stack of 2 4X12's that were the speakers "Heart" used on tour in the 80's The amp was made by Mike Soldano as an exact copy of Howard Leese's Soldano SLO #2. It was a very loud amp, to say the least. Traded it, and the speaker stack for an ME-1.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Al...I sold my Soldano SLO 100 last year. Yes....the numbers did go up to "11". And I was never able to get it above "4" in my basement without shaking the foundation. I played it through a full stack of 2 4X12's that were the speakers "Heart" used on tour in the 80's The amp was made by Mike Soldano as an exact copy of Howard Leese's Soldano SLO #2. It was a very loud amp, to say the least. Traded it, and the speaker stack for an ME-1.
    ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! So I didn't know certain amps can go up to 11! What will you come up with next? Guitars with two necks?
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    I don't know if it's true or not, but there are stories about Eric Johnson saying the battery brand in his stomp tuner impacts tone... I think that's taking the whole tone chain thing just a little too far. But it may just be internet lore anyway, so...
    I think he's distanced himself from comments that he could tell one battery from another - or words to that effect (Pun Alert!).

He talks about how a battery (And it's amount of charge) affects his fuzz tone though - and there may be some truth to that.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Banned
    ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! So I didn't know certain amps can go up to 11! What will you come up with next? Guitars with two necks?
    Al...now you're being downright silly. Never heard of such a thing.

Hi Rick.....How's it goin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    I think he's distanced himself from comments that he could tell one battery from another - or words to that effect (Pun Alert!).

He talks about how a battery (And it's amount of charge) affects his fuzz tone though - and there may be some truth to that.
    Yeah, there is some truth to it. I had a power supply on my former pedalboard that allowed me to vary the voltage and sag on one of the outputs, and it made a small difference on both the Fulldrive II I had at the time, but strangely enough, it made a very big difference on my wahs (a Teese Picture Wah and a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe at the time). So I used this circuit to power my wah.

To prevent the issue of stopping playing, adjusting the controls, and then resuming play with a pause in between, which plays tricks on your memory of a given sound, I had my son adjust the voltage controls while I played until I reached the sound I liked. It's a good way to do it, because you're hearing the differences as the control is adjusted.

What was the difference on the wahs, you ask? It seemed to sweeten them up and make them less spiky.

Next thing you know, there will be guitars with SEVEN strings!

And amp capos!

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Al...now you're being downright silly. Never heard of such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Next thing you know, there will be guitars with SEVEN strings!

And amp capos!
    Guys, I was searching for a way to "out-joke" you, eventually digging up the "darkest secret in the history of rock'n'roll":

And it's REAL! No need for amp capo ever again, for I'm gonna be in possession of THE PICK OF DESTINY:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/tenacious_d...at_necklet.htm
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Hi Rick.....How's it goin'?

Too cool. I'm a H-U-G-E Rick and CT fan. Thanks for posting this.

Lloyd
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Too cool. I'm a H-U-G-E Rick and CT fan. Thanks for posting this.

Lloyd
    I may be dating myself with this one, but everytime I see a picture of Rick Nielson from CT....I am reminded of his doppelganger....IMO, he is the spitting image (so long as he is not wearing a beard) of Huntz Hall (Satch) from the old "Bowery Boys" movies. I keep waiting for Leo Gorcey to show up and smack him in the head with his hat.