Thread: Filling a Tremolo or pickup cavity with epoxy or different woods

Hybrid View

Filling a Tremolo or pickup cavity with epoxy or different woods

I have seen photos of the PTC fill irregular shaped tremolo cavities with epoxy, I also have seen pictures of guitars getting a pickup hole filled with another piece of wood. I have noticed when would is cut to build guitars the pieces are marked so the wood is kept together for a like frequency response. My question is how do these fixes affect the sound of the guitar or is it negligible?

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Interesting question. I'm not sure there is any way to formulate an objective answer. Should make for good discussion.

Seems like you'd have to start with some idea how all epoxy guitars sound - as a basis. Then you have to determine whether or not the amount of epoxy used - along with it's placement on the instrument - would have any impact on wooden guitars whether it was modified with epoxy, more wood, or missing altogether.
    One Life

Or you could do an FFT of the guitar's response in stages; stock, with the hole empty, then with the hole plugged, and with the hole epoxied, to observe changes and eliminate the issue of "similar" instruments on test not being the exact instrument used.

It does seem to me that filled should be better than not filled even if the wood or epoxy is different but can it be proven.