Thread: Tony Iommi and Brian May

Tony Iommi and Brian May

Tony Iommi and Brian May plan an album of Riffs. This could be cool!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...ny-iommi-album

Brian May and Tony Iommi have revealed plans for a collaborative "riffs album", allowing the guitarists' unused material to be borrowed and built upon by fans.

Iommi lifted the curtain on the rockers' secret project in a recent interview for Kerrang! magazine (via NME). "When are we going to get to work on that album of riffs together?" Iommi asked. "You know what I'm talking about."

May certainly understood the Black Sabbath musician's reference: "The record he's talking about was supposed to be a secret but I guess he's blown it now," he said. "I'm very, very keen."

Apparently the plan was hatched when May visited Iommi's studio and heard some of the hours of unreleased guitar jams on tapes and hard drives. "I thought it would be great to make a compilation out of them," the Queen guitarist explained. "The idea was to put all these riffs out in some form so that people could build their own songs from them. You could make your own music with Tony Iommi on guitar!"

Never heard of material from Brian May and Tony Iommi !!!!
    For guitarists, this can only be awesome!
    Last edited by Steph; 02-16-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Wow. What a wild project. Can't wait to check it out.
    Plank Owner

I heard about this, it sounds really interesting. Will be interested to see how it all works and unfolds!

Wow, I remember seeing Tony with Black Sabbath (Aerosmith opening act) sitting third row center at Madison Square Garden--late 70's! In my opinion, he was/is the the meat and potatoes of the Sabbath sound. Never much of a Queens fan but I was always impressed with Brian May's sound....did anyone ever figure out how he wired his guitars? Regardless, count me in at the check-out stand.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by frankb56 View Post
    Wow, I remember seeing Tony with Black Sabbath (Aerosmith opening act) sitting third row center at Madison Square Garden--late 70's! In my opinion, he was/is the the meat and potatoes of the Sabbath sound. Never much of a Queens fan but I was always impressed with Brian May's sound....did anyone ever figure out how he wired his guitars? Regardless, count me in at the check-out stand.
    I saw Sabbath during the Mob Rules tour with Dio singing, what a show! Iommi is one of my all-time favorite players. His tone is so unique and where most people would be happy to create one cool riff for a song, Iommi will have 4 killer riffs in one song. I'm looking forward to hearing this project

This thread got me curios, so I did some research on the Iommi tone. You all probably already know, but he set his amp with the volume, treble, mid and presence on 10 and his bass at 0 to get the first album tone. Plus he used a Rangemaster treble boost pedal. I tried it last night sans Rangemaster and with the volume no where near 10, Damn if it wasn't a whole lot closer to his tone than I have ever achieved.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Really hope this project pans out.

More artists need to do this!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!