Thread: Wide/Fat to Pattern Regular?

Wide/Fat to Pattern Regular?

Hey,

I'm thinking about a neck-reshape for my SAS that has a W/F maple neck.

Now, I think Pattern regular is my favourite profile.
    However, as the fretboard's narrower than W/F, is a reshape here possible?

Or would the PTC be able to replace the neck, for example?

Thanks!

We re-shape necks all the time, so it won't be a problem. If you have the older nitro finish on the neck, you may want to consider the new finish we current use. It's a huge improvement compared to the nitro IMHO

Good to know, thanks!

Does it involve a refret then?
    I imagine making the fretbaord narrower with frets installed could be a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by andymue View Post
    Good to know, thanks!

Does it involve a refret then?
    I imagine making the fretbaord narrower with frets installed could be a problem...
    Interesting, unanswered question.

No refret required, the nut width is the same, it is just that the shoulders are narrower, a different shape.

I really liked the WF carve, but I *LOVE* the Pattern Carve, my favorite carve ever.

I worked with Shawn and the PTC team to have a recarve done for one of my Willcutt's Wood Library DC Ted's from WF to Pattern, and they did a TERRIFIC job with it!!

If you love the Pattern Carve, sent it into the PTC with no fear, it will come back great.
    Ted Club President

Pattern Reg is a teeny bit narrower at the nut than Pattern:

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:

Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
    Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
    Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"
    12 String - 1 47/64"

WIDTH AT THE BODY

Pattern, Wide Fat - 2 1/4"
    Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 2 1/4"
    Pattern Regular, Regular - 2 1/4"
    12 String - 2 19/64"

NECK DEPTH AT THE NUT

Pattern, Wide Fat - 27/32"
    Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 25/32"
    Pattern Regular, Regular - 27/32"
    12 String - 27/32"

At 0.8mm difference I don't think I would notice the difference between a Pattern Reg and a WF/Pattern hybrid (same shape as PR, but just a bit wider) but it would be interesting to see if it can be done without a refret. I assume the reshape is done by a CNC router, so if the bit is the right one, it should be able to shave down the neck and frets at the same time (with enough passes).

Maybe a CNC belt sander would be the go!

Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    No refret required, the nut width is the same, it is just that the shoulders are narrower, a different shape.

I really liked the WF carve, but I *LOVE* the Pattern Carve, my favorite carve ever.

I worked with Shawn and the PTC team to have a recarve done for one of my Willcutt's Wood Library DC Ted's from WF to Pattern, and they did a TERRIFIC job with it!!

If you love the Pattern Carve, sent it into the PTC with no fear, it will come back great.
    Sorry, I misread the topic, I thought you were talking WF to Pattern, not WF to Pattern Regular.

I take back everything above, and defer to Shawn. I had WF to Pattern done, and that turned out AWESOME!

WF to Pattern Regular, I don't know the details there.

Good luck!
    Ted Club President

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    At 0.8mm difference I don't think I would notice the difference between a Pattern Reg and a WF/Pattern hybrid
    When you play them back to back, the difference is there. I can tell the difference between my regular neck Mira and my wide-fat Custom 22. It's hard to believe such a small difference would be noticeable, but it is. That said, the transition between them is just about negligible. They're both great. Somehow I still haven't ever played a real DGT, and I'm curious about that carve since it's supposed to be a little bigger than the regular.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana