Thread: first post, first PRS

first post, first PRS

Hi PRS folks,

I just got my first PRS and figured I'd join this forum and say hello.

It's an S2 Mira, and I'm very much infatuated with this guitar. I've had major GAS for about a year for a LP Junior, and was set to buy one, but turns out Gibson stopped making them (?!). So, I looked around a little more, seeing what the alternatives were, and saw the Mira, and immediately decided that was the one I wanted - just aesthetics alone, I guess I'm shallow.

I know looks are subjective and this guitar, specifically, isn't for everyone (I read a lot of forums before pulling the trigger and it seems a fairly polarizing design), but I think this guitar is great looking, kind of retro, unpretentious, has a pretty name, etc. I actually like it better than the Junior, which I've felt is pretty much a perfect looking guitar. I have never considered a PRS before, being more a Fender guy, and a tele guy furthermore, but this one just pressed the right buttons aesthetically,

Anyway, enough about the superficial, I'm very pleased with the initial setup and how it plays. I like the short scale length (strings feel nice and loose, I also use 10s on my tele), the rosewood is a nice change (though my fingertips are black after playing - do they dye the boards?), and the upper fret access is really nice. It's light as a feather and comfortable to wear. No idea how it compares to one of the core guitars, but it's definitely in line with my Fenders, and it hasn't even been to get a pro setup yet (well, I guess it did at the factory, but usually those aren't so great - maybe different with PRS?).

I play through a little solid state practice amp at home, so I won't play it in anger until next week, but I'm looking forward to opening it up through a real amp in a band situation. It sounds great through the little practice amp, but most things do, and I don't have very discerning ears anyways.

I play in a couple hobby bands, a roots rock kind of thing and a newly forming country band. This will get play in each, we'll see how it does . To early to know if it's a keeper, but it's certainly starting out on the right foot.

Thanks
    Last edited by loggerboots; 02-14-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Congrats and welcome to the board! Those S2 models are pretty cool.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Welcome and congrats. Miras are awesome guitars. I love mine. You'll find PRS does a really great job with setups, and have so much better QC than Gibson. The Mira is totally an LP Junior/Special killer in my opinion.

The black fingers are probably from the strings, not the fretboard. When you change strings, give the board a good wiping and you should be good to go.

Enjoy it.

Congratulations!! :-)

Sounds cool, but where are the pics!? The S2 guitars are superb for the money the ones I've played have been excellent. I'm gassing for the S2 Starla in The Antique White. I'll have one by the end of the year with any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Sounds cool, but where are the pics!?
    Rule #1 of the PRS forum: Post pics of your new PRS.
    Rule #2 of the PRS forum: See rule #1 for details.
    Rule #3 of the PRS forum: If you have not followed rule #1 and #2 of the PRS forum, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and go back to rule#1 and start over.

Congrats and welcome! I played an S2 Mira at a store here and the thing sounded awesome - great choice. I love me some Mira. Especially white ones.

Thanks! Sorry to violate forum rules - here's a pic ( I ordered from sweetwater so I get the benefit of really good pictures ). Really liking it so far. I was torn between this, the mcarty burst and the antique white. In the end, they didn't have a dot neck in Mcarty (which I prefer) and I wasn't sure how the white would look in person, so I went with a safe bet (cherry). I figure if it works for the SG, it'll work for the Mira (it does), though in low light, the finish looks more opaque, but still awesome imho. Mine weights only 6 pounds, 5 oz, and at that, was one of the heavier ones. It's nice and light. Love it so far, it's a great player. Have trouble keeping my hands off it.

Last edited by loggerboots; 02-15-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Rule #1 of the PRS forum: Post pics of your new PRS.
    Rule #2 of the PRS forum: See rule #1 for details.
    Rule #3 of the PRS forum: If you have not followed rule #1 and #2 of the PRS forum, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and go back to rule#1 and start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerboots View Post
    Thanks! Sorry to violate forum rules - here's a pic...

Whew!! THAT was close - I was just about to release the hounds!

Nice guitar, and welcome to the forum!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Nice looking guitar! Welcome to the club!

Looks great! Enjoy it and welcome!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...