Thread: FAT OR SKINNY 408 BRIDGE PICKUP?

FAT OR SKINNY 408 BRIDGE PICKUP?

So whats everybody's preference for the 408 bridge/treble pickup, fat or skinny, and why?

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Skinny for sure IMHO...
    I've played almost every model produced by PRS Guitars and my Paul's Guitar has what I believe to be the best sounding pickups in any guitar regardless of the maker. The split tones are nice and full while maintaining the kind of snarl you want from a single coil pickup. In full 'bucker mode, the narrow bridge pup in the PG is clear, articulate and handles any style music I've thrown at it. Plenty of beef for chunky rhythm stuff, chime-y and bell like cleans and if you use those knobs on the guitar, you can dial in any tone you're looking for. I've only ever played the Fat 408 pup once and it was great, but I just feel like the Narrow version sounds a little more focused and maybe a little more articulate...

Only have the FAT one but I could see a skinny one in the future
    I think the proper answer is both
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Where's that erstwhile former mod when you need him?

Only have the fat myself (well...), but Rider is correct - the proper answer is both.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I hope more chime in on this. Come on guys, I know there are hundreds of you with 408 PUs. Sure they both sound great, but if you were gonna have one built with one or the other, which one would you choose and why?

I had a 408 (wide bridge) and I found it could too easily 'fuzz out' my pedals and amps. I now have a Paul's Guitar and the narrow pickup is much more focused and I definitely prefer it. That said, my 408 was a Standard so I also have a maple cap in the mix now. Whatever it is, I'm very happy!
    2013 PRS Paul's Guitar, Copper Flame
    2009 PRS McCarty II, Tobacco Sunburst
    2014 Tone King Majesty 45 Head + 2x12 Cab
    Fulltone | MXR | TC Electronic | ZVex

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1260 View Post
    Only have the FAT one but I could see a skinny one in the future
    I think the proper answer is both
    EH-YUP !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CHARISMAFIRE View Post
    I hope more chime in on this. Come on guys, I know there are hundreds of you with 408 PUs. Sure they both sound great, but if you were gonna have one built with one or the other, which one would you choose and why?
    FAT ONE ... The tone control can flavor the sound any way you want...You just need to use it ...
    Last edited by bluefade; 05-18-2014 at 05:42 AM.

I have both and if I could pick only one, I would go with the skinny one. The fat one works better in high gain territory but all around the skinny one just sound livelier to me.

But having both of them is the way to go.

I have no tone control in my electrics. Had a sweet switch once, and liked it. Im considering another PS build with 408s but was seriously curious which one to put in the bridge position, the fat/wide pickup or the skinny/narrow one. Im sure either would be awesome, but I want to hear from those who have them. Also, since I never use a tone knob, I am likely going to have a sweet switch dug up and installed in this build. Never really used it much either when I had it, but I think it would be a cool option to the tone since I never ever touch tone knobs. So....................back to the dilema.............which 408 in the bridge position? Chime on in guys!

Aesthetically I prefer the look of the skinny bridge pickup ala the Brent Mason model or Paul's Guitar.. Tonally I have no opinion as I haven't had the privilege of trying a 408 equipped guitar yet. I'm a big Brent Mason fan (although we couldn't be further apart in styles) so that model appeals to me to try soon.

If you like a BIG sounding bridge pickup the the bigger 408 is for you
    If you want something a bit more focused/brighter less in your face the smaller one is the right on for you.
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

I own neither. I've played a bunch of both, back-to-back on a few occasions. Personally, I've liked the narrow every time...until my (67 year old) dad just got an AP 408 with a brazzy board. His is the best sounding 408, and possibly the best sounding modern guitar, I've ever heard. The thing I've liked about the narrow 408s is the punchy somewhat P-90 feel, but with more fullness. His 408 seems to cop that same vibe, but the whole guitar has more tight harmonic richness an anything else.

So, I would say I prefer the narrow ones, but the right wood choice might change that.

Hey Egads, was that AP 408 mahogany with a maple top? I have a couple ideas of wood combinations, but nothing is off the table yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1260 View Post
    If you like a BIG sounding bridge pickup the the bigger 408 is for you
    If you want something a bit more focused/brighter less in your face the smaller one is the right on for you.
    This. I choose FAT.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARISMAFIRE View Post
    Hey Egads, was that AP 408 mahogany with a maple top? I have a couple ideas of wood combinations, but nothing is off the table yet.
    Yes. I'll try to grab a pic tomorrow. The quilt is awesome. I wonder how much impact the brazzy board has.