Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Giving it the Big Screw!

  1. #1
    SuperD Boogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indy, IN
    Posts
    1,096

    Wink Giving it the Big Screw!

    This specifically applies to my SE one, but it applies to every guitar I own. The front strap button screw can work loose after stage antics and come completely out. I've come so close a couple of times that it scared me into making changes 4 different times on that guitar. The stock screw is fine until you install a Schaller strap lock that rotates in the socket when you move the guitar around. So I replaced the stock one with a USA screw that's 1/4" longer. No good. Then I used a 1-3/4" coarse thread drywall screw, ground down the diameter of the head and applied wood glue. Still backed out. I realized that the problem was from the strap button making direct contact with the screw head, forcing it to back out as it rotated. So I went this route...



    That's a 2-1/4" finishing screw w/ phosphate coating. If this backs out, I'm at a loss. I'll report back after the next gig this weekend.

  2. #2
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    I just tend to put a dab of wood glue on the screw, works for me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    pioneer valley
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    This specifically applies to my SE one, but it applies to every guitar I own. The front strap button screw can work loose after stage antics and come completely out. I've come so close a couple of times that it scared me into making changes 4 different times on that guitar. The stock screw is fine until you install a Schaller strap lock that rotates in the socket when you move the guitar around. So I replaced the stock one with a USA screw that's 1/4" longer. No good. Then I used a 1-3/4" coarse thread drywall screw, ground down the diameter of the head and applied wood glue. Still backed out. I realized that the problem was from the strap button making direct contact with the screw head, forcing it to back out as it rotated. So I went this route...
    [img]http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/screws.j
    That's a 2-1/4" finishing screw w/ phosphate coating. If this backs out, I'm at a loss. I'll report back after the next gig this weekend.
    Stock screw with super glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    I use Schaller strap locks too, well ok, the Chinese copies you get on eBay for 10 for $19 (they're the same, I have original Schallers and the copies, and the copies fit the Schallers and vice versa)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Manchester, Maryland
    Posts
    534
    C'mon, man...isn't anybody gonna ask what kind of stage antics are you performing??? Dats a big screw!!!! (...LOL)
    I've always replaced strap button screws in other types of guitars with a larger screws and added pieces of toothpicks to snug them down!!!!
    Also...Cheap bridge on one of my early basses...could see light under the bridge, so I snugged him down good and tite~!!!!
    this also helped with sustain...

  6. #6
    SuperD Boogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indy, IN
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post
    C'mon, man...isn't anybody gonna ask what kind of stage antics are you performing??? Dats a big screw!!!! (...LOL)
    I've always replaced strap button screws in other types of guitars with a larger screws and added pieces of toothpicks to snug them down!!!!
    As cool as it may have sounded, nothing too interesting is going on. Sadly. But it doesn't take much to get these to backout, which may have kept my Van Halen-esque "Eddie-leaps" to a minimum. (my back hurts just thinking about that)

    The toothpick trick didn't do the job either. And that was a combo of toothpick and superglue. I was browsing thru the hardware section at Lowes when I came across these finishing screws. They're square drive, which is a pain for on-stage repair, but the phosphate coating is good for retention. The smaller head (hence the 'finishing') works perfectly with the Schaller strap button so I hope it makes a marked difference.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    after stage antics
    Sh*tter's full

  8. #8
    NJ Devil DISTORT6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    370
    I see one of these in your future. Right into the trem cavity.
    Not like the other kids...

  9. #9
    Member Roddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Regina, Sk. Canada
    Posts
    92
    I would be terrified to do that to any of my guitars.
    How 'bout them Cowboys

  10. #10
    A couple toothpick-sized shims and some wood glue does the trick for me
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

  11. #11
    DEEPER STRIATIONS markie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,359
    Bring it with you on Thursday....................
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

  12. #12
    PRS Faithful Solocaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    71
    I always put a drop of Gorilla Glue in the hole before I put the screw in if I have a problem with it backing out. Its worked so far.
    Kaman

    SC58 Eriza Verde Flame/Quilt Boat Wake

  13. #13
    Wheels cjmwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by watelessness View Post
    A couple toothpick-sized shims and some wood glue does the trick for me
    Same here. I split a tooth pick with a razorblade, and set it in the hole with some super glue. Then drive the screw back in. I've swing it around my body regularly, and never had an issue.
    Do this with Gibsons to with great success.

  14. #14
    Still Strummin! auriemma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Just NW of Philly, PA
    Posts
    47
    My main fear wwth driving a screw of that length into the body would be it twisting and breaking off inside. I've had that happen with standard length screws for straps. The others have said the best options... toothpicks and wood glue.

    And as for the stage antics.... please don't tell us you spin the guitar over your shoulder on tha strap... please no!
    Joe ... They say having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so!
    PRS: 07 CE-22; 03 Santana SE; 12 Tremonti SE || Ovation: 06 Elite-T 1868T; 79 Glen Campbell Artist 1627; 95 Balladeer 1751 || Fender: 69 Mustang Comp; 91 Strat Plus; 11 Tele Std || Gibson: 11 Les Paul Studio 60s Deluxe || Martin: 12 GPCPA4 RW || Epiphone: 12 ES339 Pro || Bradley: 77 Les Paul Custom || Squier: 99 Precision Bass

  15. #15
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,180
    I've always used multiple toothpicks with some wood glue. Almost to the point of completely plugging the screws hole. Glue on tip of screw and some down the threads. Has worked pretty well, don't remember the last time one has loosened on me.

  16. #16
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    I've always used multiple toothpicks with some wood glue. Almost to the point of completely plugging the screws hole. Glue on tip of screw and some down the threads. Has worked pretty well, don't remember the last time one has loosened on me.
    Same here. Wedge recommended that to me about a month ago, works fine so far (thanks, Wedge!)
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •