Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pernambuco vs. Chaltecoco Pernambuco

There is a reasonable chance I would have bought one on spec if they had pernumbuco necks. With the neck it has I would need to hear it in real life before committing. I. Have no issue with what they call it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    .... I do think the whole sinker mahogany thing was a tempest in a teapot.....
    I used to work with a group of Israelis, when we first started up "Rapid Opiate Detox" in the USA. I've come across that idiom many times...but, it doesn't translate well when crossing over languages.

I had three different Israeli guys use that idiom....and each of them used the expression...."It's nothing but a storm in a glass of water". Seriously.

I'm pretty sure I've never gotten a PM criticizing you, or anyone really, except I've gotten a few criticizing me, and that's to be expected.
    I'm pretty sure I have received PM's about both of you. People encourage me to let you two duke it out. It's entertaining.

For the record, you will rarely, if ever, see a "simmer down" post from me. Either people break the rules are they don't.

Regarding this thread... there are places where you will get banned for calling people on their BS (real or perceived). This isn't one of them. The majority of you guys have done a superb job of looking at the facts and drawing reasonable conclusions. Everything else seems to be based on the joy many of us derive from occasionally locking horns.

Moving forward... it appears as though PRS has created the name Chaltecoco Pernambuco to draw a comparison between the two woods. Gibson makes up wood names all the time. Korina anyone? Baked Maple (gag) ??? The crux of the whole deal (for many) is that the name PRS created can be misleading. So let's set the record straight. Chaltecoco is not the same orange wood (from Brazil) we've come to know as Pernambuco. It might feel/sound the same but it isn't the same. Make your decisions (for whatever reason you decide) accordingly.

Side note:
    Remember when Pernambuco was the new "it" wood? I do. There was a Modern Eagle (PS 1638) made with a Pernambuco neck a few years back. It sat at Chuck Levins for quite a while before it finally sold. I loved the top and the color but couldn't deal with that weird orange neck with a long funny name. Man, I sure wish I had that ME now. I am certain I'm not the only one to ask Brian Meader for the owner's contact info so I could offer to buy it.

Live an learn.

One Life

Banned
    I had never even heard of Pernambucco until I spec'ed out my PS 2 years ago and checked the available options. I found it super cool that this was the wood that was used in the highest quality violin bows. For me, it was as learning experience. I would be the first to admit that I bought it due to the rarity and the fact that Brian Meader told me that once gone, it wasn't coming back. He was upfront about it being reserved for the DGT collection series, and I wanted to get in on the opportunity before I regretted losing that chance.

That being said...blindfolded, I couldn't' tell the difference between a PB neck, a BRW neck or the log created by Les Paul with pickups installed. I'm talking about tone of course...I think I might feel the difference between the log and the guitar necks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have received PM's about both of you. People encourage me to let you two duke it out. It's entertaining.

Hans - you make good points about Gibson but they never called something by an existing name. Giving chaltecoco the 'badge' of pernambuco is wrong and designed to mislead.

I have some coal here. Should I sell it to you for jewellery as a Coal Diamond for an inflated price?

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    I had never even heard of Pernambucco until I spec'ed out my PS 2 years ago and checked the available options. I found it super cool that this was the wood that was used in the highest quality violin bows. For me, it was as learning experience....

That being said...blindfolded, I couldn't' tell the difference between a PB neck, a BRW neck or the log created by Les Paul with pickups installed. I'm talking about tone of course...I think I might feel the difference between the log and the guitar necks.
    Wait a second...if it was a learning experience, what on earth did you learn if you can't even tell the difference between this and all the other stuff you have? Come to think of it, maybe that's what you learned. That you're wasting your money on this stuff. LOL!!

By the way, pernambuco bows don't always cost $35,000. You can buy them for a grand, and one of the reasons that people use them is they're very resilient and bouncy. That's an important quality in a bow. And it's not the pernambuco that's expensive, it's the artistry and the hand work.

There's so much mythology and nonsense in this whole pernambuco thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
    Hans - you make good points about Gibson but they never called something by an existing name. Giving chaltecoco the 'badge' of pernambuco is wrong and designed to mislead.

I have some coal here. Should I sell it to you for jewellery as a Coal Diamond for an inflated price?
    I think you should try. It would be entertaining as hell.

"No it wouldn't."

"Yes it would."

"Not at all."

"Yes, most definitely."
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.

I have a headache ...

Caveat emptor ...

... and I would like some banana cream pie ...
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty View Post
    I have a headache ...

Caveat emptor ...

Take 2 units of Acetylsalicylic acid and call me in the morning.

Ummm... that's why I said...

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Gibson makes up wood names all the time. Korina anyone? Baked Maple (gag) ??? The crux of the whole deal (for many) is that the name PRS created can be misleading. So let's set the record straight. Chaltecoco is not the same orange wood (from Brazil) we've come to know as Pernambuco. It might feel/sound the same but it isn't the same.
    Please read my posts before you call me out, by name.

I have a middle finger here. Should I hold it up and declare that you're number one? I would appreciate it if you'd direct your frustration elsewhere. I'm not taking sides.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty View Post
    I have a headache ...

Caveat emptor ...

your wish is my command!
    -Bob

Sorry Hans - I wasn't trying to get your back up. I'm very angry that this whole 'badging of wood' issue has arisen again after the sinker-gate fiasco and posted carelessly. I got burned with my purchases that time, but this time I seem to have just escaped it.

I'm off to be angry away from the internet.
    Last edited by Twinfan; 02-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Sorry Hans
    Apology accepted, brother.

I, too, am going to take a break from the net tonight. See you guys tomorrow.
    One Life

By the way, pernambuco bows don't always cost $35,000. You can buy them for a grand, and one of the reasons that people use them is they're very resilient and bouncy. That's an important quality in a bow. And it's not the pernambuco that's expensive, it's the artistry and the hand work.

There's so much mythology and nonsense in this whole pernambuco thing.

I have posted this several times and have never gotten an answer. Why would people think a wood that is used for violin bows think it would be a good wood for guitar necks??? If it was, the violin makers would have used it for neck wood. They did not. They used maple. Spruce for the tops most of the time. PRS also offers that, so why arent those guitars called violin guitars? My Johnny Smith and Buscarino are made out of those woods. They do not sound like violins to me either, nor would I want them to. If I wanted a violins tone, I would play one. And even then, I would want a maple neck, not a Pernambuco. WHEW!! Now I feel a LOT better. Good night kids!
    Last edited by Tag; 02-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGuitars View Post
    extemporaneous minutiae.
    Sound like a good name for a prog jazz fusion trio!!!!

A doctor and a lawyer bickering about PRSi.
    Nope, no stereotypes here.

Honestly, this one fun thread.
    Not like the other kids...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DISTORT6 View Post
    A doctor and a lawyer bickering about PRSi.
    Nope, no stereotypes here.

Honestly, this one fun thread.
    Les and I love to debate....It allows him to relive his days as a cross examiner, and allows me to relive my expert witness days at the same time!

It reminds me of the old Saturday night skit paroding "Point-Counter Point"

In my best "Dan Ackroyd voice"

"Les....you ignorant slut!"

BTW...I am a Ph.D. I am told that it stands for Phony Doctor!

"BTW...I am a Ph.D. I am told that it stands for Phony Doctor!"

Whoa!!! You mean you're not a real Doctor!?!? I mean, I bought into the whole DocBennet thing under the impression you were a REAL Doctor, now I find out you're a "Phony Doctor" and I'm blah blah....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBirds View Post
    "BTW...I am a Ph.D. I am told that it stands for Phony Doctor!"

Whoa!!! You mean you're not a real Doctor!?!? I mean, I bought into the whole DocBennet thing under the impression you were a REAL Doctor, now I find out you're a "Phony Doctor" and I'm blah blah....

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Phony Doctor, phony musician, phony audiophile. Just a poser who hangs out anonymously on the internet, sticking his nose into other people's business and trying to "appear cool". Even a phony name....as many on this forum think my name is "Ned"....or "The Destroyer".

Oh well.....back to the internet, trolling as a "French Model".

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    BTW...I am a Ph.D. I am told that it stands for Phony Doctor!
    Hey... ...I'm that kind of doctor too!

Funny, I was hanging out with Ken Parker and Steve Kimock last night. Happened to have my Collection #004 with me and the topic of pernambuco came up. Ken is quite familiar with the violin world, and he wondered if the neck blanks PRS was using were the same stuff that the real high-end bows are made from. Mainly because the wood used for the top-end bows often comes in much smaller blanks, often from branches rather than the main trunk of the tree, so you wouldn't be able to get a blank big enough to use for a guitar neck. But also because of the cost -- when a relatively small piece becomes a $10,000 to $25,000 violin bow, it doesn't seem very cost-efficient to turn a much larger piece into a guitar neck when the marginal value is going to be far, far less.

In any event, neither KP nor SK are especially impressed by PRS in general, or in guitars made from any sort of collectible/unobtanium wood. But both were quite impressed with Collection #004, at least as impressed as a couple of very experienced guitar people can be when playing an unfamiliar instrument for 5 minutes up in the green room without an amplifier around.

Of course, once my Ken Parker Archtop, which Ken had just returned to me, came out of the case, the PRS was quickly forgotten. As it happens, the wood used for the back and sides of that guitar came from a beam that was originally part of an R.J. Reynolds tobacco-drying barn built in the mid 1800s in Lexington, KY. It's tulip poplar. That's right: poplar! (or a variant thereof) Not exactly what you'd expect in a high-$$$ "archtop." But it sounds fabulous -- everyone who has played that guitar, including the likes of Kimock and Torn, has freaked out about it.

FWIW, sitting there listening to Kimock and Parker talk about guitars, along with the show that Kimock's band put on, was my idea of a great way to spend an evening.
    Last edited by kingsleyd; 02-22-2013 at 09:41 AM.