Thread: PRS SE Custom 24 Fretboard Finish?

Question PRS SE Custom 24 Fretboard Finish?

Helloooooooo PRS!!!

New to the boards here, but officially joining the PRS family in around a week, when my 2013 SE Custom 24 in Tobacco Burst gets delivered! So I'll be having an NGD some time next Friday . Actually, this is my first real electric guitar, and "excited" barely describes how I feel right now!!!

Back to the point: I tried the guitar out at a guitar show a couple weeks back, and the neck and fretboard felt great. But I forgot to ask the PRS rep what the finish was on it. Would the back of the neck possibly have a different finish than the fretboard itself? I've looked around plenty and have not been able to find this information. Do any of you guys know? I presume if it's just one finish, it's some sort of acrylic-urethane, but I just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks everyone (or anyone)!

Hi and welcome

The fretboard will be finish-free, except for some oil. The neck will have an acrylic urethane topcoat.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Awesome wow, thanks for the quick reply Shawn! That was the answer I was hoping for - a finish-free fretboard! The one thing that I actually do enjoy about the $40 pawn shop hand-me-down that I'm playing right now is that the neck is finish-free as well, and I love being able to actually feel the wood. But hey, I won't complain about having a topcoat

I will definitely enjoy the new guitar, as it will be leaps and bounds ahead of what I'm playing right now. Although, what I really can't wait to do is play them back to back and compare the sounds

Thanks again!

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Hey, congrats on the (Soon to be) new guitar day! Got the C24 myself and it's a great guitar!

Don't forget to post a shed load of pics when it arrives!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    The fretboard will be finish-free, except for some oil.
    I have a new SE245 and a new Tremonti SE Custom.
    Both fretboards leave brown stains on my fingers after playing them for awhile.
    At first, I thought it was the strings but I read on another forum that the fretboards are stained.
    Makes sense cuz that's never happened to me from strings and it would be a helluva coincidence coming from two different guitars .... But I guess, if anyone knows the truth, it would be you.

Weird.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonanno View Post
    At first, I thought it was the strings but I read on another forum that the fretboards are stained.
    Makes sense cuz that's never happened to me from strings and it would be a helluva coincidence coming from two different guitars .... But I guess, if anyone knows the truth, it would be you.

Weird.
    That is pretty odd...

They shouldn't be stained i'd have thought. Some manufacturers dye ebony boards but rosewood?

Could it not be manufacturing residue that's mixing with the oils and leaving rsidue on your fingers? Hasn't happened with my two SE's but it did with another guitar I had briefly that had an ebony board.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Hey, congrats on the (Soon to be) new guitar day! Got the C24 myself and it's a great guitar!

Don't forget to post a shed load of pics when it arrives!
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours! I'm going to make sweet sweet love to mine as soon as it arrives, so there will be plenty of pics to share as a result!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dbonanno View Post
    Wow I hope that doesn't happen with mine. It'd be kinda weird to find brown stains on my fingers after making love to my guitar! LOL But seriously...could you point me in the direction of that forum if you have it? Really curious to read up on the finish.

Actually. I just want the darn thing to arrive already so I can play it!! I have been drooling over all the other members' pictures of their beautiful PRSi. I'm just hoping mine comes with the bookmatching the way I like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    That is pretty odd...

They shouldn't be stained i'd have thought. Some manufacturers dye ebony boards but rosewood?

Could it not be manufacturing residue that's mixing with the oils and leaving rsidue on your fingers? Hasn't happened with my two SE's but it did with another guitar I had briefly that had an ebony board.

That has definitely not happened on my SE 245 either, no brown stains of any sort. Seems odd to me. Never heard of this before. Maybe someone applied some sort of finish first?