Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Truss Rod Cover

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    If you read my post above (post 75), you see that I have already raised this issue.

The outline of the PRS Guitar is theirs, Bennett. We just have the bad taste to borrow it. Even if the company never makes a TRC for the forum, I believe that they will eventually make one as I described (without the 'orum') for their own use - the design is just too cool not to.

They already have it on several t-shirts. it is only a matter of time until they put it on a TRC.

The word 'forum' differentiates us enough, and I don't believe the company would ever put a TRC with the word 'forum' on it on a production guitar unless it was a special production run for us.

Giving them options to decrease their tooling costs not only makes it less expensive for us, but makes it more likely to actually happen.
    I can't disagree with anything you've said. Only trying to emphasize that in recognizing all the valid points made above....in the final analysis....the further our TRC is from any potential iteration of it that becomes mass produced...the better for me anyway. Obviously I can't speak for others on this topic, or "sub-concept" if you will.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    A favor...

While we're kicking around ideas, let's try not to make Shawn regret bringing it up.

Keep creating and posting your ideas, Gentlemen. Things will fall into place.
    One Life

For the record, I believe this TRC belongs on every hollobody, and semi-hollobody production guitar PRS makes (except singlecuts), core and SE:

Go, ahead, tell me I'm wrong....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

I like Llloyd's design, nice work! I wish we could "put a bird on it" somehow though.

The official in that design is fine as well.
    Or you could put the word official under the PRS in place of where "GUITARS" is on the regular logo. That would look familiar and natural to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    This one is pretty cool too IMHO. Classy!
    Agree, this one is nice.

I notice the TRCs are different sizes for SE and USA models. Is the intent to offer both sizes?

I would spend up to $50 for a joke on a friend with a "Hoff" fetish, but it would have to be animated. Maybe I'll have to look into small LCD panels powered by watch batteries. It shouldn't be impossible, only impractical. In fact, all headstocks should have LCD screens so the fans can watch you playing guitar, on your guitar, while you're playing the guitar. Thanks for the motivation John Beef.

Sorry, the flu is still lingering, and I'm not well.

My fave thus far!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    How about something like this?

[IMG][/IMG]

The problem with good design is two-fold.

1. good design is simple.

2. the simpler the design, the more adaptable it is to disparate uses.

Making a design more complicated to make it unique also makes it worse in most cases.

We are obviously looking for something that instantly says both "PRS" and "forum". Any really good design we come up with still easily be transmuted from special to us to generic for everyone and vice versa. It is the nature of design. We can take solace in the idea the it is unlikely that PRS will use the word 'forum' on any production run for the masses and that is our edge. It remains our edge whether we use their guitar outline, their birds, their moons, their 408 pup shapes or whatever. To say "PRS", we must use something of theirs.

I'm not saying any of my designs above are 'great', nor that they are all mine. Albrecht Smuten thought of the f-hole for text. Lloyd thought of using the PRS guitar outline from the new shirts and making the design rightie and leftie friendly, I just happen to be a fast drawer in Freehand.

But if we go looking for something really unique, so much so that PRS won't want to use it or elements of it for their own production runs, we're gonna end up with something that only says 'forum' to us and not 'PRS forum'.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

For the record, I believe this TRC belongs on every hollobody, and semi-hollobody production guitar PRS makes (except singlecuts), core and SE:

Go, ahead, tell me I'm wrong....
    No sir, I believe you are correct...Let's move away from the brand "G" style white lettered TRC's identifying the models on all PRS! Got rid of normal pickup bobbins, redesigned pickup mounting rings, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    I like Llloyd's design, nice work! I wish we could "put a bird on it" somehow though.

The official in that design is fine as well.
    Or you could put the word official under the PRS in place of where "GUITARS" is on the regular logo. That would look familiar and natural to us.
    Shazam!

Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by '
    -[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54348'Design by committee SUCKS.
    Aw heck, committee design is great! As evidenced by...

Last edited by LSchefman; 02-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    I suppose a bird could be used instead of 'PRS'. After all, the body outline says it's a PRS to those in the know.

I still like my original birds in a circle idea to signify the world. I didn't mention it here because I didn't want to throw too much into the discussion at once, but we seem to be working well here so I'll tell the rest.

My first idea was to lay out eight of the birds as points on a compass. But when you start to shrink that some detail is lost, so then I had the birds in the same places but with no lines or any compass details. I thought just the simple outlines of eight birds could be etched into a metal surface and still retain the quality we all want. Plus it works easily for right or left-handed players. But after thinking about it, I decided that even though it could probably be done and done well, it would be pushing the limit. Eight distinguishable birds etched into metal in a space about the size of a quarter is asking a lot.

The guitar outline is simpler, neater, and may just be the better overall choice. Whatever happens, or even if nothing ever comes of it, this process is fun for me. Maybe I'll post my doodles someday.

Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 02-27-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Ok... Been having a fiddle in Photoshop...

I took a photo of an eagle and traced around it with basic hard lines and then erased the photo. Bit scruffy but it gives the idea.

Not sure about the initials.. Really like the word forum with the f hole thingy...

Just a quick idea. Will try another one if I have the time...
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    How about something like this?

[IMG][/IMG]
    How about the picture of PRSh from the PRS bucks at the last Experience? I'd post it but I spent all of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    While we're kicking around ideas, let's try not to make Shawn regret bringing it up.
    lol this. Good thing the "forum guitar" never got traction. TRC designs are seeming almost as serious as sinker mahogany and fading Eriza Verde tops.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Personally, I don't get the need to put the silhouette of a PRS guitar on a PRS guitar. With a t-shirt, the silhouette makes sense. The guitar is absent.

I also don't get the signature unless you're putting the TRC on an SE. Most of us will be putting the TRC on a guitar that already has the signature on the headstock.

Regarding "PRS Forum" vs. "Official PRS Forum" label, I don't want top step on the toes of our friends at PRS Forums.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    I suppose a bird could be used instead of 'PRS'. After all, the body outline says it's a PRS to those in the know.

The guitar outline is simpler, neater, and may just be the better overall choice. Whatever happens, or even if nothing ever comes of it, this process is fun for me. Maybe I'll post my doodles someday.

Lloyd
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Shazam!

Might be beating a dead horse, but how bout this (above) with a single brush stroke bird around or instead of the neck/headstock??

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Here is one more idea, and then I'm going to go doodle some more.

Vertical design like we're working on. Birds in a circle so it works either rightie or leftie, forum with the f-hole in the middle. All centered in the middle of the cover. The birds signify the PRS brand, and forum signifies us. Official could fit in too. That's it.

Covers bird(s), the f-hole, and the words official and forum. Doesn't repeat the outline of the guitar itself, and no signature to do the same. How about that?

Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 02-27-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Personally, I don't get the need to put the silhouette of a PRS guitar on a PRS guitar. With a t-shirt, the silhouette makes sense. The guitar is absent.
    I get this - and I cannot deny it makes sense. I just really, really like that half guitar line drawing - whoever did that at PRS is a genius - it is sublime art.

I also don't get the signature unless you're putting the TRC on an SE. Most of us will be putting the TRC on a guitar that already has the signature on the headstock.
    I also see no need for the signature...

Regarding "PRS Forum" vs. "Official PRS Forum" label, I don't want top step on the toes of our friends at PRS Forums.
    I get this too.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Here is one more idea, and then I'm going to go doodle some more.

Birds in a circle so it works either rightie or leftie, forum with the f-hole in the middle. All centered in the middle of the cover. The birds signify the PRS brand, and forum signifies us. Official could fit in too. That's it.

Covers bird(s), the f-hole, and the word forum. How about that?

Lloyd
    I did this - sort of - We could always round out the circle... and make everything solid instead of outlines

Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ