Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive Pedal Recommendation Please

Overdrive Pedal Recommendation Please

Hi to all!

Received my new SE Santana 2 weeks ago, which I really love!!! I also have a Gretsch electromatic Jet model.

Back to guitar playing after many years. I would like some recommendations from more experienced players on a good overdrive pedal to play classic rock and blues.

Appreciate your input!

For overdrive, I love the Zendrive, Zendrive II (my favorite), the BB Preamp, and BB Plus.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

The Fulltone OCD is on a lot of players' boards, it's become something of a classic pedal lately.

I just picked up a Fat Drive from Pigtronix. I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it, but I'm impressed with what I've heard. Nice OD setting and nice clean boost

I've gone thru a ton of OD pedals over the years. The pedal that's been with me the longest is the Tim pedal made by Paul Cochrane. It's been on my board since 2004. He recently stopped making them but he still makes the Timmy, which is a small version that doesn't have the added boost stage that the Tim has. The Tim is excellent for
    blues/rock stuff.

Tc electronics mojo...love it

xotic rc booster (mild)
    xotic ep booster (mid to heavy)
    MK 423 (wonderful pedal)

Rockbox Boiling Point. Best OD ever. Expensive, yes, but they just introduced a cheaper -not hand painted- version last NAMM (not sure when it'll be available). I cannot stress enough how awesome this pedal is. Three modes, symmetrical, asymmetrical clipping and boost. In 'boost' mode, the diodes are taken out and the thing becomes this loud monster than cannot be contained. Guess what mode I use it on?

I use my BP in boost mode. I crank up the gain in the pedal to the max and use my guitar's volume knob to control the gain. All of this to a CLEAN amp. I boost the solos with either a compressor or a Klon KTR.

Check out this tune, it's all BP going to a clean Peavey JSX amp. The volume knob is around 6-7, solo on 10. The guitar? A PRS, of course: https://soundcloud.com/aronortega/spank-me

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    I am always extolling the virtues of the TC spark booster, which I mostly use for clean boost, but it's nice to drive the tubes a little harder at lower volumes.

I use it alot with the mighty little Tubemeister 18C because the lead boost on it is sometimes a bit over the top, so I set the gain lower, and use the Spark for a "halfway there" sound.

Interested in the Fulltone SecretFreq, wonder if anyone has messed with that yet...
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited x2
    2012 NF3 | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleary View Post
    Tc electronics mojo...love it
    +1 The Mojo Mojo OD is a fine stomp box!!!

I love the Handwired Ibanez Tube Screamer...pricey but badass!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

I swear by the B.K. Butler Tube Driver. If Eric Johnson uses it, you know the tone is awesome!

DGT Club Vice President
    I love my OCD! You also can't go wrong with a PlimSoul. I've got a Timmy en route...I'll let you know how that goes!

mgd

DGTs

Where to start. There's so many. I'm the biggest pedal nerd without any pedals. My GAS for them is so bad I don't allow myself to own any.
    Plank Owner

Start with the Fulltone OCD ;-)

I've got a bunch and that's my "goto" pedal. I also see it on a ton of other players boards.

The EP booster is widely used and loved. Here's a demo... the guy looks familiar

The Catlinbread Dirty Little Secret is on my list next:

Fulltone OCD or a modded Keely modded tubescreamer TS9 or TS808 pro. If you can find a handwired Tube Scream, you are using what most used back in the 70s, so hard to go wrong there.

Also, Mesa Boogie has come out with some REALLY nice pedals that are not to be overlooked. They have 4 different versions to cover anything you want, and they ALL sound great. They range from 180-200.00 but are worth every penny. I have the Throttle Box, which had the most gain of any, and I can get great blues tones using it on the clean channel with the guitar volume dialed back a bit. Then I can crank the guitar volume for a really nice searing lead.

I have all 3, and use all 3. If you can swing it, get a few, and you can really experiment and fine some wicked good tones. I play through Mesa amps, so yes I am a bit of a Mesa whore.
    Last edited by cjmwrx; 03-07-2013 at 10:23 PM.

I have an EP booster, a visual sound rt 66, a voodoo labs sparkle drive, and the recent addition, the bogner ecstasy blue. I'll probably get the ecstasy red also. They all sound good.

Thank you all for your varied recommendations! Now's the time to shop.

I'll let you know what I got

Cheers,

Dan

My 2 recent loved ones:m EP Booster from Xotic if you need just a push and Bogner's Red Ecstasy.
    But my all time favorite still Fulltone's OCD