Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fading Pernambuco??? Same wood, or different?

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post

Well played, as they say!
    Thank you!

It seems we've run out of things to argue about, and it's only 4:35 right now. Shall we knock off early, grab a beer and go listen to your collection of oyster more cowbell recordings?
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-02-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Thank you!

It seems we've run out of things to argue about, and it's only 4:35 right now. Shall we knock off early, grab a beer and go listen to your collection of oyster more cowbell recordings?
    Sure....it's Saturday Night. Hey.... How many people know that "Saturday Night Fever"'s title, up until maybe a month before it was released was going to be "Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Night". Catchy title....Travolta would have been doing "Welcome Back Kotter, again" on some 3rd world sit com if not for the name change.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    How does Ginger let you spend tens-of-thousands of dollars on guitars when your basement still has that carpeting and paneling from the 70's?

Spit my drink all over the place....thanks sergio!
    -Bob

Serial Acquisitionist s.fitzsimmons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    How does Ginger let you spend tens-of-thousands of dollars on guitars when your basement still has that carpeting and paneling from the 70's?
    Ouch. Can't say that hasn't crossed my mind.

"Bennett? Hi, it's Sergio. you know, your new man-cave decorator? I've seen pictures of the place, and I have some really fab ideas for you. Do you like salmon color? Because I have this marvelous salmon col...oh, no salmon? Well, it would certainly bring out the pink in that faded Bon...oh...you're selling that one...

"Let me see...how about lime? Are you into lime and greens, or do we have to stick with boring neutral colors...oh dear, I'm going to have to call you back, it's my mother on the other line.

"Mother? Oh, no...sorry Bennett, I don't know how to work this frickin' phone! I'm such a hot mess with DEVICES! Oh I hate blue, no blue. Blue is simply awful in a man cave. Yes, I'll call you back and then I'll come over to take a look at the place. Thank you...TaTa!

"Mother? I'm on the phone with this guy with really creepy carpet and...Oh, sorry again Bennett, I mean what is WITH this phone? I'm so embarrassed. Call you back."
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-02-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Doc, please get a new camera before replacing any out dated carpet or paneling. Those find guitars deserve something other than a potato to take pics. I would very happily help you pick one out, all I need is a dollar amount.

Banned
    I ask for wood opinions, and everyone is either an interior decorator or an editor at Modern Photography.

And clean the spooge of the lens. There a big blur in the same place on every pic...

Jamie, being helpful...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Banned
    My 2003 Kodak with the Schneider Lens...that has a big schmear on it as I look at it. Hmmm...maybe time to invest in a new camera. And a carpet.

I ask for wood opinions, and everyone is either an interior decorator or an editor at Modern Photography.
    And what about those of us who happen to be hostesses in transgender clubs? Don't we count?

CLIMBING VINTAGE PRS MT.
    Forget the camera tripod please.

I'm no expert, and while I do agree that wood from the same blank can look remarkably different when viewed at different angles, those little wings look totally different to me. It looks like regular mahogany or korina to me, with those big, open pores.

However, I doubt Eric Johnson or Eddie Van Halen could tell a difference tone-wise.

And here:

Thoughts? Same wood? Different wood?
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    I'm no expert, and while I do agree that wood from the same blank can look remarkably different when viewed at different angles, those little wings look totally different to me. It looks like regular mahogany or korina to me, with those big, open pores.

However, I doubt Eric Johnson or Eddie Van Halen could tell a difference tone-wise.
    What about Tag?

Quote Originally Posted by PRSHB2 View Post
    What about Tag?
    Tag can identify flea species only by the tone of their farts.

Banned
    All kidding aside, and in all seriousness...I am in the process of having a new amp built by a "booteek builder" that is specifically dedicated to Tag. Being built with Tag's personal input and recommendations. FWIW. Tag knows tone!!

And thanks, Tag, for the recommendations....we are going with the exact clone...no extra bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Tag can identify flea species only by the tone of their farts.
    Now, THAT'S some great hearing. By gnat-fart tone, I can only tell if they're virgins or "experienced".
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Banned
    So, I sent the following to PRS Customer Service yesterday morning. As yet, no reply. As soon as they let me know, I will report back to "youse guys".

To: PRS Customer Service
    Hi folks...this got a bit "out of hand" on the PRS forum, so I will take it straight to the "horse's mouth".

First....are the "wings" made from the same wood? Is the entire headstock made of Pernambucco?

Second..would this be a covered repair under warranty, given how the fading is so dramatic of the "wings" vs. the remainder of the headstock?

here is the thread taken from the PRS forum...has the questions, and the photos. Look forward to the official reply from PRS.

Fading Pernambuco??? Same wood, or different?

Here is my 2011 PS #3340 Santana, AKA "Serenity". The neck is Pernambcco. I wasn't concerned about the "wings" of the neck fading until I read about the recent and somewhat controversial "Pernambuco vs. Pernambuco/Chaltecoco" issue.

I will show you how the wings of the heel have faded over the past two years. Not a major concern to me...unless the wings are fading due to a "different type of pernambuco" used to complete the headstock.

While some of you might think that this is a private matter between PRS customer service and myself...I think that after the recent controversy....the entire forum needs reassurance (I know I do) that the "Old, genuine Pernambuco" was not compromised by an alternate wood when completing the headstock.

Since I can't show my #3340 without including a glamor shot or two...here is "Serenity" almost 2 years later....and if anyone can comment on the fading...and if anyone representing the company would care to chime in.....are the "wings" made from the same wood that was used to make the entire neck??? If so, I am fine. If, however, a different type of wood was used to complete the headstock...then we might have an issue to resolve.

I look forward to the anticipated reassurance. BTW..."Serenity" was the very first "Jade Glow" and the PS staining team and I created this color with my goal being a "green burst". I really think they nailed it.

Full frontal nudity:

Front of Headstock....Brazilian veneer, and nothing noticeable:

Not to obvious from this angle:

But a bit more apparent here:

And here:

Here is a shot of the entire neck, FWIW:

Thoughts? Same wood? Different wood?

Serial Acquisitionist s.fitzsimmons's Avatar
    Grant me the serenity
    to accept the natural variations in wood that I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one guitar at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this guitar
    as it is, not as I would have it;

Hi Bennett,

I just checked the customer service email, there isn't an email from you sitting in there. can you send it again and Matt will get back to you. And have you spoken to your dealer? The dealer can go directly to the PS sales team for more info if the letter signed by Paul isn't enough verification for you.

Banned
    Shawn...I bought it from Brian Meader, when he was as Washington. He's now at Guitar Santuary, so I really want to avoid the dealer, since my relationship with Brain transcended "Washington Music Center".

I sent the email to custserv@prsguitars.com

I will send it again, right now. thanks.

PS...the spec letter does not specify what woods were used where. Since it also indicates that mahogany was used, as well as maple, it doesn't indicate that "the entire headstock is Pernambucco" so I don't think the spec sheet/COA is of any help on this one. And, as per the pictures, and several private emails I've received, there is a consensus out there that perhaps the 'wings' were made of mahogany or some other wood.

Therefore, I would be very curious to know what the "truth" is on this build. thanks. Look for the 2nd copy of the email to be in the customer serivice "inbox" by the time you read this. Also...the fact that I sent it yesterday AM and it was never received would also indicate a possible problem with the email...unless my "drugdetox" email address went into spam....which it shouldn't since we've corresponded many times previous to this.