Thread: Is imitation the most sincere form of flattery?

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar

Is imitation the most sincere form of flattery?

Simple question really, and it's been on my mind as of late... Is imitation a sincere form of flattery or just a way to garner unearned attention? Or does is exist in a gray area? Very curious to hear everyone's thoughts...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

Serial Acquisitionist s.fitzsimmons's Avatar
    More often than not it seems like imitation is done for personal gain... all the while the imitator is hoping you don't find out who they're imitating. I'd say it's the most insincere form of flattery.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    I suppose it depends on the context of the imitation.

In the business world, "Imitation" will get you sued.

The design world deliberately takes inspiration from lots of places; even other designs - which is how we end up with specific styles, trends, etc.

In the music world we call it sampling - unless you're Vanilla Ice.

Regarding the TRC designs, I completely fell in love with the idea (your idea) of a crow - the main subject of my designs. It reminded me of the Raven guitar project that was originally going to have a Poe-themed paint job. Poe is buried in Baltimore so it was a natural fit my sense of who we are. Was that imitation or inspiration?
    One Life

And of course there is a difference between imitation and mockery..Context is the key.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    Simple question really, and it's been on my mind as of late... Is imitation a sincere form of flattery or just a way to garner unearned attention? Or does is exist in a gray area? Very curious to hear everyone's thoughts...
    Does this have anything to do with the TRC designs?

Immitation... Inspiration...

I think inspiration is fair game, particularly in the context of the TRC which I personally viewed as a collaborative effort by members. I.e, it was / is fair game to take an element of the design and tweak it. The TRC should be a melting pot of ideas with the endgame being something most of us are happy with.

I don't think anyone has immitated a design that I can see. Inspired, certainly. Of course, this may not be what you're referring to.

If someone comes along and completely takes whole portions of something you've created and uses it in another manner (With the claim it's entirely their own work) without asking then that's a whole different matter.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Imitation can be a sincere form of flattery, but more often than not, it's just a lazy way out of being creative.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Think imitation as a form of "fan-art". It all depends on the context and ones attitude towards the original artist.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post

In the music world we call it sampling - unless you're Vanilla Ice.
    Did somebody call my name?

The event that sparked this thread was hearing a couple of lines from a friend of mines "old" song in another groups "new" song. Not saying two people can't have the same thought.. Not saying they can't possibly express the thought in the same way, but it's a pretty big coincidence if you think about it. I'll try to get together the lyrics of both and let you all chime in...

With regard to the TRC designs, in the case of Hans' Raven designs, it takes the crow element in my design to a whole new plateau.. And I absolutely love the vibe of his TRC concepts. And if my stuff served as inspiration for that I would absolutely be flattered. I would also be proud to have a Raven TRC on my guitar or guitars...

However I can't help but take issue with a particular element being plugged into a design that might muddy the waters... I was not personally a fan of the circle of birds with the est. 2012 text TRCs. Nothing wrong with them, just not my taste. So, to see an identifiable element from my initial idea thrown in to dress up another did kinda rub me the wrong way.

But let me be clear, I don't think any ill will was implied or intended and have zero issue with the designs standing beside one another, I think the differences are enough overall to set the ideas apart.

Just airing it out...

Well if that wasn't the case then there would be no Stone Temple Pilots, Living Color, Nickleback.... oh wait, forget I brought it up.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    All good points.

Regarding the TRC, I can't help but feel like we need to take on a collaborative posture; where all ideas shared can be used to elevate the final design.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    The event that sparked this thread was hearing a couple of lines from a friend of mines "old" song in another groups "new" song. Not saying two people can't have the same thought.. Not saying they can't possibly express the thought in the same way, but it's a pretty big coincidence if you think about it. I'll try to get together the lyrics of both and let you all chime in...

With regard to the TRC designs, in the case of Hans' Raven designs, it takes the crow element in my design to a whole new plateau.. And I absolutely love the vibe of his TRC concepts. And if my stuff served as inspiration for that I would absolutely be flattered. I would also be proud to have a Raven TRC on my guitar or guitars...

However I can't help but take issue with a particular element being plugged into a design that might muddy the waters... I was not personally a fan of the circle of birds with the est. 2012 text TRCs. Nothing wrong with them, just not my taste. So, to see an identifiable element from my initial idea thrown in to dress up another did kinda rub me the wrong way.

But let me be clear, I don't think any ill will was implied or intended and have zero issue with the designs standing beside one another, I think the differences are enough overall to set the ideas apart.

Just airing it out...
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 03-08-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    One Life

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    All good points.

Regarding the TRC, I can't help but feel like we need to take on a collaborative posture; where all ideas shared can be used to elevate the final design.
    +1
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

All good points.

Word.

Depends what you're imitating.

Learning is often imitation. First we imitate, and then as we gain mastery, with any luck we are able to innovate.

This answer has nothing whatsoever to do with truss rod covers.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Learning is often imitation. First we imitate, and then as we gain mastery, with any luck we are able to innovate.
    +1
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.