Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEVER thought I would ask this question!!

NEVER thought I would ask this question!!

Feeling real odd to ask such a question,however, here she goes.......

Yesterday I was checking out other threads in the forum and saw where someone was talking about getting the right size strings for the nut on his guitar

I have never heard of such a thing and I come from a family that has played the guitar for quite a few generations.

So, I have my SWEET S2 Single Cut Blue Crab killer friend on its way and should have it by next week

I play The Blues and as you know with the Blues I do a lot of vibrato and bending.

So with those two together is there anything I should look for in strings that will give me the best from my S2?

Thanks!!!
    Emrys

You just need to make sure the nut on your guitar will accommodate the strings you like to use. If you play 9's or 10', no mods needed (the stock nut will work fine). If you play 11's, 12's or heavier, you might need to have the slots on your nut filed to accommodate the thicker string. If you don't, the nut could pinch the strings. The result is a string that fails to slide through the nut slot - which, in turn, creates tuning issues.
    One Life

Okay, that makes sense....I use 9's so I am good to go...Would use 8's if I knew where to get em

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Okay, that makes sense....I use 9's so I am good to go...Would use 8's if I knew where to get em
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/.008-...guitar-strings

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!
    My pleasure.
    One Life

Ask and ye shall receive....That is awesome....Thanks again!!!

Major jealous. that you're getting an S2 SC in BC. Let us know what you think about it.

Way to go getting an S2 Singlecut! You are my envy, sir!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Want to play blue you need .11s not .o8. Can't get no tone otherwise

Ozboy... Not so. Just ask BB King and Billy Gibbons. They met and swapped guitars to try out. King asked Gibbons how thick the "cables" he was using were. They were like 13s. King asked... Why you workin so hard? Gibbons found out that King used 8s. Gibbons now uses 7s!
    I dare you to say BB King and Billy Gibbons have no blues tone.

It's been said here many times... Tone is in the fingers and soul, not the strings.
    Joe ... They say having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so!
    PRS: '11 MC58 Artist; '07 CE22 || Ovation: '06 Elite-T 1868T || Martin: '12 GPCPA4 RW || Epiphone: '12 ES-339 Pro || Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom || Squier: '99 Precision Bass

Quote Originally Posted by auriemma View Post
    It's been said here many times... Tone is in the fingers and soul, not the strings.
    This is true, up to a point. However, without strings (and wood and metal parts), you'll find that the tone in your fingers and soul might need to find another means of expression.

Any acoustic guitar player knows that strings of different thicknesses and materials sound different, feel different, respond to the pick differently, and generate different amounts of volume when strummed. This is also true of electric guitar strings, but to a somewhat lesser degree.

So it's a bit shortsighted to claim it's all in the fingers or other organ built into your natural self.

An awful lot of very good players have found that heavier strings work better with their fingers and brains (I hesitate to use the word soul in this context) to give them the tone they want to hear! And a lot of very good players prefer a lighter string.

So for me, there's only one real question: what helps you get where you want to take the guitar? It's a very personal journey.

A few years ago Robben Ford handed me his guitar. The heavy gauge strings were a mile off the fretboard. That wouldn't work for me. But it's what he insists on. Although he's known as a lead player, he feels that his most important contribution to a show is tasty rhythm playing, and he finds light strings too floppy. He also likes the solidity of tone he gets with the heavy strings. I suspect it's the same with David Grissom, who is a very dynamic, rhythmic player who uses fairly heavy strings.

I guess what I'm saying is that we all have our preferences, all of those preferences are valid in terms of our self-expression, and our differences are what make our music worthwhile.

Anyway, I play .010s. A nice middle ground kind of string.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Wow,,,,I am glad I asked the question.....

Some interesting things have been mentioned that I never thought about to be honest.

It will be fun to experiment......

I tried an alternate tuning awhile back that loosened the stings a little and it really made a difference to my bends as I could bend them strings for miles....

I am a huge Billy Gibbons fan as a matter of fact it was his guitar playing that made me want to get serious again about my playing awhile back. So, the 7's I find interesting.....

Wonder what gauge Clapton uses?

I will get 10's and 11's just to find out for myself what I like best

Anyway, thanks for all the great input

I can't wait to get my S2 Singlecut, You can be sure some pics are coming and I will give you the low down on that bad boy..

Just waiting for that magical email that tells me that she has arrived at my GC to be picked....

I pity the man who may get in my way when that day comes....

Thanks everyone!

Wonder what gauge Clapton uses?
    Ernie Ball .010 - .046.

Not sure if they told you but we're expecting you to also buy a Bernie Marsden and compare the S2 SC to that. It's the new standard for all new S2 reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Not sure if they told you but we're expecting you to also buy a Bernie Marsden and compare the S2 SC to that. It's the new standard for all new S2 reviews.
    Love the idea......Let me run that past my wife

If you don't hear from me the rest of the day please send condolences

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ernie Ball .010 - .046.
    ...Why am I not surprised that you would know the answer....lol

Thank you my good man!

Just blame JStarr for starting the trend.

...Why am I not surprised that you would know the answer....lol
    Les, proudly stalking Clapton since 1965.

Of course Les was there for the big Patti Boyd incident, but that's something nobody wants to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Les, proudly stalking Clapton since 1965.
    makes sense to me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Of course Les was there for the big Patti Boyd incident, but that's something nobody wants to talk about.
    You have something that you want to get off your chest Les?