Thread: Indian VS Brazilian RW for necks. (tonally speaking)

Indian VS Brazilian RW for necks. (tonally speaking)

The debate will go on forever. Here is more fuel for the fire. I do this song with my bass player, so I was practicing over it this morning and recorded this. The video will tell you whats what, but its very, very hard to tell any differences IMO, and I own both so no bias here. At 2:09 seconds (for those who cant sit through it ) I switch from the indian RW to the Brazilian RW guitar. Nothing was touched anywhere. I hit pause on the recorder, switched guitars, and hit play again and continued. Both are Artist 3 PSs straight into a Bruno cowtipper 35 amp. The Indian neck is semi hollow with an F hole, and the Brazzy is chambered (slightly thinner body) and no f hole. As I cant say enough, PRS caught lightning in a bottle when he paired the Cu 22 with the thicker semi hollow body with the trem. these things both sound like big body jazz guitars to me, and I should know as I owned a LOT of them. See if you can honestly tell much, if any difference. Both sound fantastic to me. Oh, one other thing. The Brazzy is a Dragon 2 pup set fairly low, the Indian a 57/08 set higher. Thats how I like them, and that way, they both sound pretty darn similar. Flat out my favorite electric guitars ever. If I could only own one guitar, a PRS semi hollow with trem Artist 3 would be that guitar.

Last edited by Tag; 03-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.

The guitars sound different, though I don't know how much it has to do with the neck. The Braz guitar sounds a little mellower, and I like the note attack a little better, because I'm hearing less compression on the pick. I'm sure that just comes down to pickup adjustments, or even the guitar knobs' settings, and it being a different guitar. But they aren't identical, to be sure.

The IRW seems a touch brighter, and the BRW seems to have a touch more fundamental in the lower strings. Hard to know for sure, but that's my take.

Still, they're pretty close.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-10-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Every chunk of wood will sound different. I see no value in these comparisons. I think a braz neck is nicer than Indian only because its feel is superior.. as far as sound goes cross your fingers and hope the stars align..

Quote Originally Posted by vim fuego View Post
    Every chunk of wood will sound different. I see no value in these comparisons. I think a braz neck is nicer than Indian only because its feel is superior.. as far as sound goes cross your fingers and hope the stars align..
    Look at the bright side; Tag got to do some recording, and we got to enjoy it!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

SUPERB playing!Great sound!To me the guitar with indian rosewood sounds better.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Ya know, I listed to your clip before reading the text (great playing as always Tag!), and I was wondering if you turned something down around 2 min. in or started playing with your fingers or something.....all the sparkle went away! Now I see why.

Not. (and FWIW, I'm a big Brazzy fan)

There was a barely perceptible difference, but if I didn't know that you switched, I may have never noticed.

Hey all. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and commenting. Glad you liked it, because its not a style a lot of guys like I realize. I pretty much agree with all the comments. I think the biggest difference is the depth of body on the IRW neck guitar. I like that tone the most too. The one I just ordered has that depth, a Mahogany neck, and the dragon 2 pups. For me, I think thats the best of all worlds, and I am hoping it will be my favorite of the 4 PRS I will then have. As far as the pups go, I like the Dragon 2s on the bottom
    3 strings, and the 57/08s on the top three. How do you choose??? The Dragons are clearer sounding pups, but on the top three brighter strings, they have a sharper attack than the 57/08s, and it can sound a bit more harsh, where on the bottom strings, it gives clarity. I need a 57/08 for the top 3 strings and a dragon 2 for the bottom 3.