Thread: 30 Years ...

Banned

30 Years ...

Just picked up the new GuitarWorld ... Texas Flood, 30 years old. Damn that's a long time ago. Seems like yesterday I saw him at the El Mocombo.
    Recordings and DVD's don't do justice, he was friggin' awesome.
    Toast to Stevie.

I used to have a vid of him playing austin city limits. It was the most entertaining show I have ever seen. One thing I want to point out is there were never any backup vocals but you never miss them.

Yeah man!!! Met him once at a jazz festival he was playing at way back early in his career...he was amazing!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

30 years? Wow, I'm getting old!

Banned
    Saw him play New Years Eve '89/'90 at "The Ritz" in NYC, surrounded by Hell's Angels, about 8 months before he died.

Quote Originally Posted by WishICouldPlay View Post
    Just picked up the new GuitarWorld ... Texas Flood, 30 years old. Damn that's a long time ago. Seems like yesterday I saw him at the El Mocombo.
    Recordings and DVD's don't do justice, he was friggin' awesome.
    Toast to Stevie.
    Hear, hear. You were at that show??? I used to watch that on VHS all the time....maybe I ought to upgrade to DVD or Blu-ray.

I had seen some live stuff by him before he died. I was 13-14 years old and maybe not huge into him, but liked him quite a bit. The night he died, I cried. I knew the type of player he was and what he meant to music. Wish I could've seen him live.

I was a huge fan. I collected a ton of live shows (mostly on VHS and cassette) after he died. I have a few on cd/dvd, but the majority is on the older formats, but I just can't bring myself to pitch them.

The GW 30th anniversary article mentions something I'd never heard before, and I've read quite a lot of the SRV material out there. It mentions that Reese was added after a failed attempt to add a rhythm guitarist and/or additional vocalist to Double Trouble. Can't help but wonder who that person or persons might have been.

Jimmy Vaughan had a pretty good gig going himself in those days with the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

I would think Doyle Branhall would have been a consideration - he wrote or collaborated with SRV on several tunes.

W.C. Clark had played with SRV in Triple Threat - as well as Lou Ann Barton and Angela Strehli.

Who else? Anyone heard any more details on that over the years?

RIP Stevie!

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    30 years!

Time flies by too quick sometimes!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues