Thread: S2 Series Pickups

S2 Series Pickups

Hi to all,

I am looking for information about the pickups offered on the S2 series.

Can someone tell me the differences between the #7 treble and bass PUs offered on the S2 Single Cut and Custom 22 and the Mira treble and bass pickups.

I am looking for a more classic rock and bluesy sound for my next guitar. To be frank, I will probably buy 2 of the 3 models during 2014, but need to know how different they are.

I ask via this forum since I don't have access to any S2 in any store in my area and actually try them out.

Thanks!

D.

I'm curious too. From the demos I have heard, the Mira pickups sound great. The old USA made #7s get some love around here, so I would expect the S2CU22 to sound decent as well.

It's all so new still that it's hard to get this info out there.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

i can only say good things about the #7 pickups. i love em in my se245. great for a good rockin session then rolling down the volume for a clear clean tone. slap the toggle to the neck pu for some really cool blues tone. did i say i love #7's
    I am not a luthier but i am in my own workshop.
    https://www.facebook.com/driffguitar

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    A lovefest here for my S2 Mira - the pickups should suit very well for bluesy / classic rock - they're not chugga chugga at all. I like the sound of the S2 Mira pickups better than the ones in the 08 Mira MT I had...the neck is a bit rounder, and the bridge is more vocal. Splits sound pretty good as well, bridge split is much fuller than what I had on the Core.

I already know that I am going to end up with an S2 SC, and the there is indeed much love for the MD #7 pickups. That being said, not sure how the S2 #7s will sound in comparison, because the Core & S2 Miras sound quite different to my ears.
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    A lovefest here for my S2 Mira - the pickups should suit very well for bluesy / classic rock - they're not chugga chugga at all. I like the sound of the S2 Mira pickups better than the ones in the 08 Mira MT I had...the neck is a bit rounder, and the bridge is more vocal. Splits sound pretty good as well, bridge split is much fuller than what I had on the Core.

I already know that I am going to end up with an S2 SC, and the there is indeed much love for the MD #7 pickups. That being said, not sure how the S2 #7s will sound in comparison, because the Core & S2 Miras sound quite different to my ears.
    Your review and your latest word on the S2 Mira is really convincing.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLono53 View Post
    Your review and your latest word on the S2 Mira is really convincing.
    And I even PAID for one...although I would be happy to accept and test any demos that PRS has. Shawn, you have my addy

I would really love to be able to walk into a guitar store and play a few S2s though just to play around...
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post

I recently put new squabbin Mira pickups in my '07 Mira, and noticed a warmer midrange similar to what you describe as compared to the original pickups. I'm guessing the S2 Miras are based off the newer US versions?

Love my Mira, and FWIW I really like the #7s in my '00 SC. The 5X/0X pickups are more to my taste in the shorter-scale SCs, though.