Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it annoy or worries you, if you find some small dents/ scratch on your guitar?

Hybrid View

Does it annoy or worries you, if you find some small dents/ scratch on your guitar?

Well we all love our PRS guitars, but sometimes when you play it dents or scratch appears on your guitar.

How do you guys feel about it, do you worry about it or just leave it alone and ignore it?

Thanks

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Battle scars ftw!
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Banned
    I have the PTC on speed dial!

They are meant to be played, life will happen.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    They are meant to be played, life will happen.
    Truth.

Guitar Geezer
    I just call all of mine - love bumps!
    Jim
    PRS HBS
    PRS SE EG 'Snowy'

As others have said, it's an instrument, and it's meant to be played. Sure a ding or scratch can be annoying, but it's not worth worrying over.

One thing that's great about the PRS is the PTC; they "have our backs." They can easily handle finish repairs. If something truly bothered me, I'd send it to them without question; my experience with the PTC has been hugely positive.

And the setups -- seriously great.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    As others have said, it's an instrument, and it's meant to be played. Sure a ding or scratch can be annoying, but it's not worth worrying over.
    WHAT?! That's crazy talk!

I play the crap out of all of my guitars, but I am also very careful with them so most of mine still to this day remain without dings or scratches. That being said, several have them and I'm not worried about it in the slightest. They're meant to be played, not locked up in a glass case!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post

I play the crap out of all of my guitars, but I am also very careful with them so most of mine still to this day remain without dings or scratches. That being said, several have them and I'm not worried about it in the slightest. They're meant to be played, not locked up in a glass case!
    I completely understand! I keep mine as pristine as humanly possible, but heck, ya gotta play 'em or they're not serving their purpose.

And then there's the PTC if something happens that bothers ya...
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Banned
    They're meant to be played, not locked up in a glass case!
    Or, you can play them, while in your glass case, for protection. Here is a photo my wife took of me playing....

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Or, you can play them, while in your glass case, for protection. Here is a photo my wife took of me playing....
    Playing air guitar in trademark hip hop stance doesn't count as playing.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Ones that I am not sure I am keeping yes. Ones that I know i am going have for years, not so much. Of course I dont want a big mark on a killer quilt top that stands right out, but light scratches and dings here and there are going to happen no matter how careful you are. The top is going to get scratched just from picking and playing alone. Most of the marks I get on my guitars are from practicing using the computer and recording. You play, you reach over to hit record or rewind a section you are trying to learn and bang. Into the table or whatever. My first PS is 7 years old now and has all kinds of light marks all over it. At some point, its going to go to the PTC for a refin. the marks are not in noticable places though, so you have to look to find them, but boy are they there! All kinds of play time on that guitar, and its going to get a LOT more. That is exactly what i paid a premium price for. A guitar I would not want to put down.

Well that's certainly awkward...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Well that's certainly awkward...

Jamie
    HA! The difference there is I have seen you PLAY your PS, Jamie! Sorry, I'm not trying to offend the collectors or anything, I appreciate the "art" guitars too but I'd still play every one of them. To me it doesn't make sense to treat the guitar as solely an investment piece that cannot be played for fear that the thing won't be worth as much to someone else down the road. Then again, I'm 30 so if I'm dropping $8K+ on a guitar like my PS, it's definitely not so I can put it in a display never to be played!

All of that being said, it's not like I can or wish to tell folks how to spend their cash so if you have the money to be able to buy guitars that are never to be played, hey, more power to ya!
    Last edited by HighGain510; 03-14-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    -Matt

Yeah, whatever! I'm enjoying relic'ing mine the natural way, by gigging it hard and gigging it often. Not abusing it, just playing it and treating it like I'd treat any guitar. I mean, it's no Casper but it's a start.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Timothyinspa View Post
    Well we all love our PRS guitars, but sometimes when you play it dents or scratch appears on your guitar.

How do you guys feel about it, do you worry about it or just leave it alone and ignore it?

Thanks
    I've found that the very first ding or scratch really stings a bit, but after that I accept it as wear and tear on an instrument that I use constantly to play out. If I don't want to see a ding on my axe, I shouldn't be playing it and carrying it out to gigs... Maybe wrap it in bubble-wrap? That might change the tone a little though...

~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

I used to care, not anymore. They are a tool and tools get beat up sometimes, even when you least expect it.

I wholeheartedly agree that they should be played and once in a while dings happen but man, the first ding always stings a little...most of my personal mishaps involve smacking the headstock on either a keyboard or mic stand.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    First one is annoying but after that i couldn't give a monkeys! It would only annoy me if it was something that HAD to be repaired. The dents and scratches tell a story and show the instrument's had a life.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    First one is annoying but after that i couldn't give a monkeys! It would only annoy me if it was something that HAD to be repaired. The dents and scratches tell a story and show the instrument's had a life.
    That's my take.

However, if you're a collector of pristine instruments then that's another issue (in other words you are wrong in your views and guitars are supposed to acquire love-bumps! )